TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Fans to be consulted on Super League structure changes

Super League Fans consultation

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Marto

Marto
  • Coach
  • 418 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

68c88ec6-4b9d-456f-a855-b7f714cdceee_zps

Fans will be able to have their say on the planned changes to the structure of Super League at a summit on Wednesday.

Blake Solly, the RFL's Director of Standards and Licensing, will consult fans on the current Policy Review at a meeting of supporters' trusts on July 3rd at Yorkshire and Humberside Social Enterprise in Leeds city centre.

The event is open to all rugby league fans and discussion will take place on raising the profile of supporters’ trusts and community owned clubs within the game.

Martyn Cheney, Chair of Supporters Direct's Rugby League council said: "Part of what we want to continue to do in Rugby League is to provide a space to discuss and debate the big issues in the game, as well as to talk about the vital importance of supporters and the relationship they have with their clubs.

"We’re delighted that Blake Solly and the RFL are prepared to engage with us and with supporters on a matter of such importance to the future of the game in this country, and we look forward to welcoming him."

Full details
Ebor Court, Westgate, Skinner Street, Leeds. LS1 4ND
7.00 p.m. for food, business commences at 7.30 p.m. and will finish at 9.30 p.m.
Please register at events@supporters-direct.coop

Edited by Marto, 01 July 2013 - 09:06 PM.

Posted Image

2006 National League Three Champions, 2009 Co-Operative Rugby League Conference National Champions

Bramley Buffaloes|Buffaloes Video Channel|Buffaloes Merchandise|Buffaloes Blog|Buffs on Facebook|Buffs on Twitter

#2 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:23 PM

Hmm.

Edited by Saintslass, 01 July 2013 - 09:24 PM.

#3 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

Oh god were doomed.

#4 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,310 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:30 PM

Letting the lunatics take over the asylum?

Interesting. ;)

Posted Image

#5 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

If anyone gets the chance, tell the RFL that we want strong, decisive leadership without excessive pandering and attempts to appease everyone regardless of their relevance to the long-term success of the sport. Basically the approach of the previous administration and the exact opposite of what they are trying to do now. If someone could get that message across that would be great.

Edited by Evil Homer, 01 July 2013 - 09:32 PM.

#6 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:39 PM

Bloody stick to the system we have to allow it to work and don't bloody panic at the first wobble!

#7 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:46 PM

The RFL should just get on and run the bloody game, they should be looking at maximising income and not wasting their time holding stupid pretend 'influence' meetings with a small band of club interested supporters.

If the clubs want a return to auto P&R then all clubs (who want to be in the top division) should place a £1m bond with the RFL so that should they go belly up there are funds available to keep the club going in the short term.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#8 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

Bloody stick to the system we have to allow it to work and don't bloody panic at the first wobble!

Clubs and fans outside SL hate the current system! It is deeply unpopular - far more so than any system prior to 2008.

I dont recall a massive hatred of automatic P&R. The only person I can think of who didnt like it was Stevo, but then he is obsessed by the Australian system.

#9 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

The RFL should just get on and run the bloody game, they should be looking at maximising income and not wasting their time holding stupid pretend 'influence' meetings with a small band of club interested supporters.

If the clubs want a return to auto P&R then all clubs (who want to be in the top division) should place a £1m bond with the RFL so that should they go belly up there are funds available to keep the club going in the short term.

Wouldnt the £1M bond cause them to go belly up?

#10 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:04 PM

Wouldnt the £1M bond cause them to go belly up?

No.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#11 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

No.

I think the bond system is not a bad idea for SL but not novel. I recall Skolars having to come up with a bond to join NL2. However £1M is excessive isnt it? Why not say £100-200k?

#12 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

Clubs and fans outside SL hate the current system! It is deeply unpopular - far more so than any system prior to 2008.

I dont recall a massive hatred of automatic P&R. The only person I can think of who didnt like it was Stevo, but then he is obsessed by the Australian system.

Assuming your not just making things up like usual

They'll hate P&R even more when their clubs are bankrupt

#13 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,748 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

No they don't. It is only deeply unpopular with a few.  But not as many as those of us who don't like , support, want  automatic single-season points-based P and R

#14 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,718 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:32 AM

Clubs and fans outside SL hate the current system!

Clubs outside SL can't afford SL but some pretend they can to get their fans going, but I suspect most championship fans know full well their clubs don't have the resources for promotion to professionalism.

Been here many times before but to consult people who don't really have a say as they are not shareholders of any of the clubs, and to consult them knowing the majority of fans - the silent majority - won't bother and the noisey few will dominate any such consultations is just another PR trap.

#15 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 808 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:56 AM

Clubs outside SL can't afford SL but some pretend they can to get their fans going, but I suspect most championship fans know full well their clubs don't have the resources for promotion to professionalism.

Been here many times before but to consult people who don't really have a say as they are not shareholders of any of the clubs, and to consult them knowing the majority of fans - the silent majority - won't bother and the noisey few will dominate any such consultations is just another PR trap.

The divide between SL and Championship funding (Sky/TV Money) has to be addressed, by creating 2 SL Divisions of 10 this could be achieved giving SL2 Teams a realistic chance of being in a position player and infrastructure wise to cope far better with promotion to SL1.

SL 1 - 10 teams getting £1,687,500 each (Plus a further £67,000 from the share of £2 Million)

SL 2/Championship - 10 teams getting 75% of the remaining £9,767,500 (£8,437,500 + £1,330,000)...........so that's £732,562.50 each

Championship 1 - 2 Divisions of 10 Teams (North & South) getting the remaining 25% between them £2,441,875.00...........So that's £106,168.00 each

At least that way you can create an opportunity for 20 full time clubs and a SL2 competition that can deliver clubs able to cope far better with a P & R system than previous and a regionalised semi pro competition in which each club receives far more than any Championship 1 club does currently from the system.

Unfortunately, for the greater good of the game it needs certain existing SL clubs to accept that in order to take two steps forward long term they need to take one step back short term.

Edited by LordCharles, 02 July 2013 - 07:34 AM.

#16 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:16 AM

The divide between SL and Championship funding (Sky Money) has to be addressed, by creating 2 SL Divisions of 10 this could be achieved giving SL2 Teams a realistic chance of being in a position player and infrastructure wise to cope far better with promotion to SL1.

SL 1 - 10 teams getting £1,687,500 each (Plus a further £67,000 from the share of £2 Million)

SL 2/Championship - 10 teams getting 75% of the remaining £9,767,500 (£8,437,500 + £1,330,000)...........so that's £732,562.50 each

Championship 1 - 2 Divisions of 10 Teams (North & South) getting the remaining 25% between them £2,441,875.00...........So that's £106,168.00 each

At least that way you can create an opportunity for 20 full time clubs and a SL2 competition that can deliver clubs able to cope far better with a P & R system than previous and a regionalised semi pro competition in which each club receives far more than any Championship 1 club does currently from the system.

Unfortunately, for the greater good of the game it needs certain existing SL clubs to accept that in order to take two steps forward long term they need to take one step back short term.

Where are you getting your money from. Once the ten SL1 teams have their £1.6m each isn't that all the sky funding gone.

#17 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 808 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:23 AM

Not as far as I know, but I could be wrong, according to the Watkins report currently its a total of £135 Million over 5 years (2012-2016), giving £27 Million per annum split 16 ways, 14 x SL clubs, 1 x payment to be split across 23 Championship clubs and 1 x payment to the RFL.

A further £2 Million is also equally divided between SL & Championship. 

"Agreements were concluded with Sky, the BBC and Premier Sport for the broadcast of the Super League, World Club Challenge, Challenge Cup, Championships and Northern Rail Cup in the sum of £135 million for the period 2012 to 2016".

"In addition to the broadcast revenues, the RFL is in receipt of significant levels of government funding for its work in both the development of elite athletes and increasing participation in the sport".

Edited by LordCharles, 02 July 2013 - 07:33 AM.

#18 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,462 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

It is vital that we design this thing by committee. Everyone knows that groupthink and committee wisdom lead to brilliant results.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#19 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,178 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

Not as far as I know, but I could be wrong, according to the Watkins report currently its a total of £135 Million over 5 years (2012-2016), giving £27 Million per annum split 16 ways, 14 x SL clubs, 1 x payment to be split across 23 Championship clubs and 1 x payment to the RFL.

A further £2 Million is also equally divided between SL & Championship.

Pretty sure the funding to SL clubs is about £17m a year. It's possible that the five year figure is total worth of contract.So it includes Sky filming costs and the costs of video refs. Not sure maybe someone else knows.

#20 LordCharles

LordCharles
  • Coach
  • 808 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

Pretty sure the funding to SL clubs is about £17m a year. It's possible that the five year figure is total worth of contract.So it includes Sky filming costs and the costs of video refs. Not sure maybe someone else knows.

Bob

I am taking in to account the overall revenue from TV as per the Watkins report as it covers SL & Championship as a whole and I appreciate the figures may not be exact, but if we have £135 Million coming in from TV then surely it would be better to distribute it in a more appropriate and balanced manner in order to level up the playing fields so to speak?

It will also add more money to a SL1's club pot meaning we can keep hold of SL Super Stars within the game in our country!

As I said I could be wrong though, but in the graph outlining the distribution of broadcast revenues for 2012, SL looks to have been allocated £22.5 Million

SLE

The central television contract is split 16 ways: - each Super League club receives a share, one share is paid to the Championship clubs, and one share is received by the RFL (as a contribution towards the Sport’s central costs). In addition, the Super League and the two divisions of the Championships share equally a further £2million per annum. SLE retains all revenues net of direct costs from its Play-os, its title sponsorship and other commercial income generated by its competition. Historically SLE also shared the profit from the World Club Challenge match each year, although in the past two years this has been retained by the competing clubs. The gross income of SLE is in the region of £24 million per annum.

From this revenue, SLE pays its prize money and any central initiatives that it determines, i.e. provision of statistical services, its share of the costs of providing a big screen at all televised matches, any central marketing of the competition, a contribution towards the full-time Match O¤cials squad and travel costs for travel to and from France. Any annual surplus in SLE is paid to the member clubs either equally or by reference to the number of times a club hosts televised games and pitch painting. The RFL does not participate financially in the profits of SLE.

The Championships

Championships finances are not collected in a separate corporate structure but accounted for within the RFL. Income is derived from SLE (as explained above), the RFL and from commercial sponsorships and partnerships. Payments are made to clubs by way of a central monthly distribution and prize money to the Championship competitions.

The Community Game

Similarly to the Championships, expenditure in the Community Game is undertaken within a section of the RFL. The Community Game has no independent sources of income other than those granted from within the RFL. BARLA, while a member of the RFL, remains financially independent and retains all its subscription receipts and determines how these are expended.

Edited by LordCharles, 02 July 2013 - 07:57 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users