Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Mick Nanyn Back ?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:07 AM

According to a report in yesterdays League Weekly the Lions have taken former junior Mick Nanyn back on a months loan from Halifax where he has yet to make his full competitive debut.

Mick has had a full knee reconstruction and is now back in full training and will be with the Lions until the end of July.

If the story is true welcome back Mick.

#2 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 931 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

Well that's a bit of good news.....at least the concession stand will have more trade!

Seriously, if he can get fit it will stiffen up our leaky defence in the centre. Bit late in the season though,

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#3 dummy scissors

dummy scissors
  • Coach
  • 260 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 03:43 PM

The report in the paper indicates that it is make or break time for Nanyn as far as Karl Harrison is concerned.  It seems Mick has what's left the of the season to prove he is fit and up to the mark to keep his place at Halifax.  That could be good for us if he is committed to the challenge and wants to prove his worth.  I hope it goes well for him. 

Incidently I'm surprised Harrison would send one of his players to us after his comment about not wanting Halifax to be playing the likes of Swinton.  Why he singled out Swinton in particular and didn't just make referefce to the lower teams in the division in general is insulting. Perhaps he is another one who doesn't aprove of our interpretation of the dreaded dual registration.

#4 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

I thought Mick was a great young prospect when he debuted for us as that tall slim winger.
He became a type of player I didn't like and I can remember getting so frustrated at him lolloping along doing just about what was necessary and no more
He has however got an amazing track record which really disproves all the criticism he receives.
Not a bad signing if its true and maybe he could be our seasons saviour

As for Harrison. ..and his ilk ...Aston Kear etc . They will soon move on when the money runs out . The views they express should be more considered if they just tbought back in recent history to their current clubs dealings.

#5 E.S.O

E.S.O
  • Coach
  • 5,633 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:59 AM

The same Aston that's been at the same club for 13 years and runs it from top to bottom?

Engage brain before firing up your laptop.

Posted Image

#6 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:51 AM

I typed it on my phone
My point was that they like voicing their opinions on Swinton whilst not looking at their own positions which are tentative at the very least.
Aston of course never moved for the money before. ..

Engage your manners

#7 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 758 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:15 AM

Mick Nanyn when he is on his game is powerful, superb goal kicker, it will all depend on the reconstructed knee, when he was at Oldham he kicked like a metronome!

#8 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

Mick Nanyn's points scoring record throughout his career, spread across several semi-pro clubs, is undoubtedly very impressive.

The aspect of his game that has held him back and prevented his progression into Super League is his often lazy defence, especially versus nippy opponents who all too often can step past him with ease.

There have already been a couple of abortive attempts at a comeback at Fax.  I suspect Karl Harrison has already written Nanyn out of his future plans there, in truth.

Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#9 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

He can't wait to get on the pitch tomorrow !

#10 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

He can't wait to get on the pitch tomorrow !

Why, is there a burger stand on it?. :P

#11 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

He might buy you one on 11th August if he is still with us. !

#12 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 382 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

Yes Mick Nanyn was one of a batch of talented youngsters that came through the ranks when John Prince was running the youth teams in the days when we played at Gigg Lane............that's about 15 years ago (already)...........John had a good eye for talent and knew how to develop players............

#13 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

He might buy you one on 11th August if he is still with us. !

Plenty of onions please lol.

#14 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 931 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

Maybe this will stir up a little dust bowl, however, I am quite surprised that there has been no comments on us playing a senior player to get him back to fitness..........or am I!!!!!!!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#15 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:50 PM

Maybe this will stir up a little dust bowl, however, I am quite surprised that there has been no comments on us playing a senior player to get him back to fitness..........or am I!!!!!!!

And I'm lead to believe hes originally from Wigan. ..which begins with a W like Warrington. ....
Is it part of the conspiracy. ....?

#16 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:06 PM

I'm more than happy to see Nanyn at Swinton .I wouldn't be at all surprised if we had him for the rest of the season.

#17 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

Can anyone say how he played?
I didn't go....oh and to those that did....your commitment to the cause to drive to Sheffield on a beautiful evening in Friday traffic deserves a commendation. Well done

#18 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

Mark he didn't play badly, clearly needs match fitness and missed a few tackles. He did however make yards with ball in hand.

#19 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:31 PM

Cheers Al