Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

73 SQUAD

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:35 AM

Nice to see the boys again with it being a special year the 40th.Just been wondering what did they get from the club? They got their few bob winning pay.They got their medals and of course the trophy.Did we as a club give them an honour as such.If we didnt and i know were not a membership club anymore.Would it be a good idea if we presented the whole squad with a sort of life membership,We could have a presentation night or after last match of season be another chance for them to have the odd drink.Then if we did the whole squad including those that missed out on a medal would have some recognition.Perhaps gfdu can enliten us whether theY did get an award from the club.

#2 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,038 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

Stevo got a one-way ticket to Penrith.

I don't think the others got anything more than their win bonus. That was just normal in those days, I don't think other clubs ever gave anything special either.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#3 Hugh Jarce

Hugh Jarce
  • Coach
  • 239 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

It would be nice if the club could arrange something, even a plaque on the wall naming the whole squad on the day?

Yet another excuse to have a party and raise money!

Plus we can celebrate what was a wonderful occasion! 

"Life's tough.......It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

#4 mahtsalleh

mahtsalleh
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:58 AM

Let's not forget the coach!  My understanding is that Tommy Smales never got the winner's medal he was promised, although the chairman and the club secretary did.  I believe (and hope) Tommy is stll alive somewhere in Featherstone, and it might be just about time to make sure he has some memento of his achievement. (I suspect if you talk to any of the team they will apportion no small measure of credit to him for the success).

This was THE most glorious page of the club's history, and I think it's way past time to right the apparent wrong to a significant contributor to that glory!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users