RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Stopping the wet

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bourbon Rat

Bourbon Rat
  • Coach
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

Or a new way of looking at the cap Either way it's an ambitious plan.

Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite

and furthermore always carry a small snake - W C Fields

#2 G Las D

G Las D
  • 13,946 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

Interesting that public money through government can be considered for these improvements and updating but they wouldn't want to buy it to run themselves as they aren't sure of it's future viability?

Hang on ... I've read on further ...it's not all going to be tax payers' money they are looking to pursue the development with private enterprise money too.

I guess the easy part is producing an artist's impression and video.

Do you reckon it will happen.

I guess a 14 year old stadium will be ready for an update whatever else happens.

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#3 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

Parramatta Stadium is getting a $20m upgrade as well:-

http://www.dailytele...y-1226673162841

Not sure whether a retractable roof is really needed at the ANZ, although bringing the seats nearer the pitch would have its advantages. Is this just a bit of 'keeping up with the Joneses' because Melbourne has a stadium with a retractable roof?

Have to say though that having sat in torrential rain at Shark Park a couple of years ago, and having watched the effect the weather had on the crowds at Leichardt Oval and Penrith Stadium over the weekend, I think there's a few of these suburban grounds in Sydney that could do with a roof on. Even on the 3 occasions I've been to games at the SFS, it's rained every time, and although the roof might look nice it doesn't appear to keep many people dry.

#4 G Las D

G Las D
  • 13,946 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

I must say I prefer to watch a game from a reasonably close vantage point.

The trade off of going to see a final in a big venue and having to sit  at a distance is the atmosphere of being in a huge crowd on a big occasion seeing your team win (hopefully).

I don't rate sitting in an 80,000 seater stadium to see standard league fixture though with say a crowd of 20,000 or less. People look lost and can be distant from the action with less atmosphere than at a more homely venue.

Edited by G Las D, 02 July 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#5 brooza

brooza
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:26 AM

I must say I prefer to watch a game from a reasonably close vantage point.

The trade off of going to see a final in a big venue and having to sit  at a distance is the atmosphere of being in a huge crowd on a big occasion seeing your team win (hopefully).

I don't rate sitting in an 80,000 seater stadium to see standard league fixture though with say a crowd of 20,000 or less. People look lost and can be distant from the action with less atmosphere than at a more homely venue.

That's the way I felt on my trip to Oz.

I was at ANZ for a league match and for SOO1. I found the atmosphere to be decent at Origin, but very lacklustre for the league match. Give me the same number of people in a smaller ground any day of the week

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos and St Albans Centurions fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade, Dragones de la Sierra and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#6 G Las D

G Las D
  • 13,946 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:44 AM

I can remember in the good old days of winter rugby over here going to a Featherstone v Leeds midweek evening game.

I sat at the side in line with the half way line.

It was foggy but presumably when the ref called the game 'on' he could stand in the middle and see the touch lines.

Well lucky him!

The fog closed in but the game went on.

I saw very little of the game except occasionally when the sound of play got louder and a small cluster of players would break through the veil and appear for a few moments before disappearing back into the gloom.

Some folk must have seen something because every so often you'd hear a cheer or groan though I had no idea why!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users