Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford sign Francis Meli

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:26 AM

It's been confirmed that Salford have signed Meli on a one year deal. 

Not a bad signing really, he's still playing pretty well.  I think the time was right for us to part ways with him though.

I'm grateful to him for his time with us and wish him well for the future.

Edited by MrFussy, 02 July 2013 - 10:27 AM.

#2 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

I can't work out which team would be the happier.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#3 brooza

brooza
  • 4,409 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

I would love to see him sign for Catalans

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#4 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

I can't work out which team would be the happier.

Think your talking bs, he's easily been the best Saints player in the past 2-3 years. 

Even when they haven't played well he's got them out of trouble on plenty of occasions. 

Great signing for Salford and shows serious intent.

#5 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:41 AM

He gets a lot of stick. According to the Rugby League Project, he's scored 8 tries in 13 appearances so far this year which, for a rather off-key St Helens side, isn't too shabby.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#6 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

Think your talking bs, he's easily been the best Saints player in the past 2-3 years. 

Even when they haven't played well he's got them out of trouble on plenty of occasions. 

I think he's one of the old guard who stayed too long. He has his moments, but he also has his moments.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#7 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:44 AM

He's been good for us but easily been our best player for 2-3 years??

#8 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

He gets a lot of stick. According to the Rugby League Project, he's scored 8 tries in 13 appearances so far this year which, for a rather off-key St Helens side, isn't too shabby.

He's never had trouble finding his way to the line and I'd still rate him as one of the best finishers in the league.  If he's a direct replacement for Jodie Broughton though then I'm not sure he's an improvement.

#9 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,990 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

Think your talking bs.

Are you thinking of Francis' brother Roger?

He's the one that talks boll ocks.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#10 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

Is that reference NSFW?

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#11 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,534 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

He's not a replacement for Broughton, as such. Jodie has chosen to move on, so there's no point comparing.

Taken on his own merits, Meli will be a very good signings and another typical Noble players. There's still loads of stories flying round about new signings and I, for one, am feeling enthused.

If Jodie is going, we will still need another winger as I'm not at all convinced by Danny Williams.

#12 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

And with him being here forever, he won't count on either quota.

(I'm 99% sure of that, someone will correct me if I'm wrong)

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#13 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,196 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

Wouldn't of signed him if I'm honest he's too old. He'll probably be solid but won't work wonders, I hope he isn't on a high salary.

#14 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

The way Salford are recruiting, the side they will be putting out next year would have been a contender for honours ten years agao.

Im expecting a swoop for Mark Calderwood to solve the winger dilemma.

I assume they are banking on experience helping them avoid the drop if the proposed restructure gets the go ahead.

Edited by buford t justice, 02 July 2013 - 12:29 PM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#15 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

He's not a replacement for Broughton, as such. Jodie has chosen to move on, so there's no point comparing.

Taken on his own merits, Meli will be a very good signings and another typical Noble players. There's still loads of stories flying round about new signings and I, for one, am feeling enthused.

If Jodie is going, we will still need another winger as I'm not at all convinced by Danny Williams.

Surely if it's a case of Broughton out and Meli in then he is a replacement and you have to compare and weigh up what changes that will bring?  I do agree about him being a typical Noble player, he certainly like his big wingers.  I think we'll miss his size and power out wide unless we bring someone in.

Anyway I'm sure he'll be a good signing for you :) if you give him service then he'll score plenty of tries.  You'll have to make sure he has plenty of protection under high balls though as that's where he tends to get exposed.

Edited by MrFussy, 02 July 2013 - 01:02 PM.

#16 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,271 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

The way Salford are recruiting, the side they will be putting out next year would have been a contender for honours ten years agao.

Im expecting a swoop for Mark Calderwood to solve the winger dilemma.

I assume they are banking on experience helping them avoid the drop if the proposed restructure gets the go ahead.

They are a bottom-two side. The really big name players aren't going to sign for a bottom-two side especially with a salary cap restricting the lure of filthy lucre.

Salford need to be a mid-table side as a minimum before they can become good enough to become attractive to the top players. 

All my accumulated Championship Manager experience tells me that they are making the right deals at the moment; buying established players on short-term contracts. 2-3 years from now they might be in a position to buy the cream of the crop.

#17 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

All my accumulated Championship Manager experience tells me that they are making the right deals at the moment; buying established players on short-term contracts. 2-3 years from now they might be in a position to buy the cream of the crop.

I don't think Koukash will sign 15 year old kids from Chile.

That's how to win at ChampMan.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#18 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,271 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

I don't think Koukash will sign 15 year old kids from Chile.

That's how to win at ChampMan.

Nah. Some of those Welsh league clubs have some fantastic players going for tiny sums of money. Scout them out.

Salford should be scouring over Cardiff Demons and Wrexham Bradley Raiders team sheets.

#19 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

Nah. Some of those Welsh league clubs have some fantastic players going for tiny sums of money. Scout them out.

Salford should be scouring over Cardiff Demons and Wrexham Bradley Raiders team sheets.

Dangerous off-topic aside, it's essentially what Salford have done to a tee with Theo Fages. And that's worked out pretty damn well. But this is about Meli, and at least he's in no danger of losing his side anymore Grand Finals.

Every cloud.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#20 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,617 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

Is he the one on the telly?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)