Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Salford sign Francis Meli

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:37 PM

Surely if it's a case of Broughton out and Meli in then he is a replacement and you have to compare and weigh up what changes that will bring? I do agree about him being a typical Noble player, he certainly like his big wingers. I think we'll miss his size and power out wide unless we bring someone in.

Anyway I'm sure he'll be a good signing for you :) if you give him service then he'll score plenty of tries. You'll have to make sure he has plenty of protection under high balls though as that's where he tends to get exposed.

Sorry, what I meant was we haven't made a conscious attempt to swap Broughton for Meli. I'm sure we'd love to have both but, for whatever reason, Jodie was determined to go back to Yorkshire.

It's a shame as, having stayed loyal in the past, Jodie is a player we'd all like to see sharing in the good times.

As for the Champ Manager comparisons, it's also worth noting that the club has also been quietly signing up rough diamonds from the Championship/Rugby Union.

#22 Wanderer

Wanderer
  • Coach
  • 106 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:44 PM

As for the Champ Manager comparisons, it's also worth noting that the club has also been quietly signing up rough diamonds from the Championship/Rugby Union.

so will Salford be running an U19 team rather than a U20 next year like other SL teams? cheers

#23 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:17 PM

No got a clue. Depends on dual reg I guess

#24 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:59 PM

Sorry, what I meant was we haven't made a conscious attempt to swap Broughton for Meli. I'm sure we'd love to have both but, for whatever reason, Jodie was determined to go back to Yorkshire.

It's a shame as, having stayed loyal in the past, Jodie is a player we'd all like to see sharing in the good times.

Ah fair enough :)

I agree that it's a pity that Broughton is seemingly off just as good times appear to be on the horizon, it would've been nice if he could share in them.  If the rumours are true and he's off to Huddersfield then he might not have to wait long to get a taste of some glory though.

Edited by MrFussy, 02 July 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#25 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

Meli will do a good job for Salford, I was particularly impressed with him a couple of seasons back when he played most of the season at left centre. 

#26 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 753 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:36 PM

Is he the one on the telly?

That him - use to play golf with Bruce Fivesythe and Jimmy Tarbrush from what I remember.

#27 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,928 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:52 PM

That him - use to play golf with Bruce Fivesythe and Jimmy Tarbrush from what I remember.

Ah...a connoisseur I detect.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#28 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

I think Salford have been wise to bring in a couple of experienced players who can still do a job but just on one year contracts so enabling them to move up the table to a position from which they can compete for younger and better quality players for the following season.  They will also need to keep an eye on the quota.  I'm not sure whether Meli will count towards the quota or not.  He didn't count towards the quota at Saints because he started playing for us in 2007 which was before the rule change.  My understanding was that such an exemption didn't continue on to a new club.  However, obviously I could be wrong on that.

I have to say that I am glad to see the back of Meli but that is simply because I have not forgiven him for his lapses in our grand final defeats which were all very costly.

#29 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

Meli has the third worst tackle success rate for a winger in the competition.

#30 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

Roger was rather naughty in one of the bunkers if I remember correctly.

rldfsignature.jpg

#31 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,704 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

Salford need some experience, shame Jodie wants to move on and some of the kids aren't quite ready for a full season.

As long as these players are only on 1 year deals it isn't a huge problem.

Believe Gledhill is leaving which is a good thing as he seems to be permanently injured,

Edited by Red Willow, 02 July 2013 - 06:13 PM.

#32 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,814 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

He'll do a good job for Salford. Despite his obvious frailities in defence, Meli has been a fantastic servant to St Helens and is excellent going forward. I wish him and Salford all the best next season.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#33 Middleman

Middleman
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

It's all about next season ..

Noble needs to hit the ground running with a squad with enough power , skill & experience to be ' comfortably in the top half . when the axe falls  

decisions on the make up of the league could mean 2- possibly 3 teams from the current 14 being culled .

If we're sitting pretty in the top half come mid 2014 , Noble will have much easier job of recruiting for 2015 & beyond

Even if he has the mix of signings right , he still has to mould them into a team that can be competing and winning more than we lose from round 1 .

We cannot hope to  get 6 Mid 20's big game signings but we can get older experienced players who can handle the pressure and influence the younger players we have with obvious potential for this crucial Season.  

Morley & Meli fit that description to a tee . Puletua aswell if rumours are to be believed .

He then needs some fringe players who can fill out the Squad. with potential

then he has to get his Quota players who can deliver game winning performances & not be a liabilty , Junior Sa'u looks on paper a exciting player  

Morley & Meli's  age is a risk ,  if Salford ride their luck they'll play well & spend more time on the pitch than the Physio's bench.

if not they will have lost a big portion of the cap down the drain.

My fear is Saints & Warrington don't normally let players go they value . the Previous Chairman , took a gamble on Willie Talau - Phil Bailey and lost . 

Come late Aug - Sept when the rotating doors at SalfordCity Stadium have stopped spinning we will have a better idea on who left & who's come to replace , we will be a better position to judge whether Noble has got the balance right

Edited by Middleman, 02 July 2013 - 07:32 PM.

#34 TBC

TBC
  • Coach
  • 753 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

Ah...a connoisseur I detect.

I still get a titter from my Profanisaurus. Happy days.

#35 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

Noble needs to hit the ground running with a squad with enough power , skill & experience to be ' comfortably in the top half . when the axe falls  

decisions on the make up of the league could mean 2- possibly 3 teams from the current 14 being culled .

If we're sitting pretty in the top half come mid 2014 , Noble will have much easier job of recruiting for 2015 & beyond

Even if he has the mix of signings right , he still has to mould them into a team that can be competing and winning more than we lose from round 1 .

We cannot hope to  get 6 Mid 20's big game signings but we can get older experienced players who can handle the pressure and influence the younger players we have with obvious potential for this crucial Season.  

Morley & Meli fit that description to a tee . Puletua aswell if rumours are to be believed .

He then needs some fringe players who can fill out the Squad. with potential

then he has to get his Quota players who can deliver game winning performances & not be a liabilty , Junior Sa'u looks on paper a exciting player  

Morley & Meli's  age is a risk ,  if Salford ride their luck they'll play well & spend more time on the pitch than the Physio's bench.

if not they will have lost a big portion of the cap down the drain.

My fear is Saints & Warrington don't normally let players go they value . the Previous Chairman , took a gamble on Willie Talau - Phil Bailey and lost . 

Come late Aug - Sept when the rotating doors at SalfordCity Stadium have stopped spinning we will have a better idea on who left & who's come to replace , we will be a better position to judge whether Noble has got the balance right

Puletua wouldn't be a good signing.  He is only fit for retirement now.  In fact, I think he retired about two years ago, judging on his performances.  He's lazy and past it.  You don't want him unless you have a couple of proper props who are willing to do the hard yards.  Puletua definitely isn't.

Incidentally, Meli is hardly ever injured.  And on the rare occasions he has been injured, he's only missed a couple of weeks at a time.

Edited by Saintslass, 02 July 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#36 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

Harsh analysis by Saintslass about Puleutua, but if I'm gonna be honest I can't disagree with. He appears he's at Saints for money rather than helping the team. He gives around 7 minutes of class every 2 games and goes missing for the remaining 153 minutes. Injured a lot of the time aswell. At least with Meli you notice he's on the pitch, can't say the same with Tony.

#37 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,492 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

Harsh analysis by Saintslass about Puleutua, but if I'm gonna be honest I can't disagree with. He appears he's at Saints for money rather than helping the team. He gives around 7 minutes of class every 2 games and goes missing for the remaining 153 minutes. Injured a lot of the time aswell. At least with Meli you notice he's on the pitch, can't say the same with Tony.

Harsh, but true.  Puletua was found out the minute we lost Jammer.  Graham used to always be the one to take the ball up.  Puletua never would.  He would even pass it to Jammer to take up!  Lazy article.  Anyway, since Graham left, his 'softness' has been there for all to see and he is just better retiring.

#38 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:15 PM

Noble needs to hit the ground running with a squad with enough power , skill & experience to be ' comfortably in the top half . when the axe falls
Even if he has the mix of signings right , he still has to mould them into a team that can be competing and winning more than we lose from round 1 .
We cannot hope to get 6 Mid 20's big game signings but we can get older experienced players who can handle the pressure and influence the younger players we have with obvious potential for this crucial Season.
He then needs some fringe players who can fill out the Squad. with potential
Morley & Meli's age is a risk , if Salford ride their luck they'll play well & spend more time on the pitch than the Physio's bench.
if not they will have lost a big portion of the cap down the drain.

Quality post.

#39 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,078 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:29 AM

I think Salford have been wise to bring in a couple of experienced players who can still do a job but just on one year contracts so enabling them to move up the table to a position from which they can compete for younger and better quality players for the following season.  They will also need to keep an eye on the quota.  I'm not sure whether Meli will count towards the quota or not.  He didn't count towards the quota at Saints because he started playing for us in 2007 which was before the rule change.  My understanding was that such an exemption didn't continue on to a new club.  However, obviously I could be wrong on that.

I have to say that I am glad to see the back of Meli but that is simply because I have not forgiven him for his lapses in our grand final defeats which were all very costly.

He won't count. It's why Aaron Heremaia doesn't count for Hull, as he'd played for Leigh in 2005.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#40 Saint Toppy

Saint Toppy
  • Coach
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:30 AM

Yipeee - made my day when I heard he was finally going !!

It was a mistake giving him a 2 year contract in 2011

Saints might be in doldrums now but at least the clear out of the dead wood has started with Perry, Puletua & Meli. Just HiHo & Gardner to ditch now and we're on our way to a proper rebuilding of the team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users