Nagging Worries

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 700 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

The team are playing really well at the moment and the enthusiasm and togetherness within the squad is plain to see.

On current form automatic promotion is mildly possible, failing that we are easily capable of winning in the play offs....but this gave me 2 nagging worries

1/ What's to stop Rochdale for example filling their team full of Saints players for a final and the same for other opposition. I know this is the same for Oldham too but we have only picked up young lads from Salford and not 1st teamers eg SW had Powell from Wigan and Rochdale had Makinson. This bit of extra class does make a difference.

2/ Worst still...what if we win the GF and our promotion is rejected on the grounds that Whitebank doesn't meet the necessary standards.

I hope none of this happens because the boys really deserve to go up and have a crack in the championship.

#2 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 05:19 PM

Point 1 is a genuine concern that will become clearer nearer the end of the season. Point 2 however isn't. I point to the examples of all the other c clubs that don't have a ground and are sharing. Swinton a re the prime example. We will play in the championship if promoted.

#3 allroughyed

allroughyed
  • Coach
  • 947 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

I put the DR/Play Off question to Gareth Walker yesterday and this is his response

@theroughyed No definitely not. There is a minimum criteria in place re number of games played but need to check the exact rule

@theroughyed Have to have played certain number of games, and am told it's a complicated system (based on earnings apparently)

GIVE US A TEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#4 D1029

D1029
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

Point 1 is a genuine concern that will become clearer nearer the end of the season. Point 2 however isn't. I point to the examples of all the other c clubs that don't have a ground and are sharing. Swinton a re the prime example. We will play in the championship if promoted.

But we are not sharing a ground

#5 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 700 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

I thought it was all about meeting minimum criteria for attendance, seating and facilities.
Swinton pass that because they play at the LSV.
We are very unlikely to meet it on current progress at Whitebank and I'm not sure where we would stand on sharing with OAFC again.

It's a real concern because I could see us winning the play offs (for a change) and then getting knocked back by the RFL. That would be a disaster.

#6 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

Your assumptions are that when we win promotion things will remain as they are. They won't. Either the rfl will give us some leeway or they won't. If they do then we play at whitebank and await investment. If they don't then we go somewhere where we can play. Swinton didn't know where they would be playing till the last minute. Who knows we could be playing at spotland! !!?

#7 tunaley

tunaley
  • Facebook
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:45 AM

Next home game go up to Mr Hamilton and ask him but we all know what reply you will get

#8 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

Like I said it really doesn't worry me. All I'm bothered about at this stage is that the team keeps performing on the field and is in a position to take advantage when crusaders slip up, and they will.

#9 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:01 PM

A simple statement to say arrangements will be made to ensure the criteria will be met may just help.....not rocket science PR really.

#10 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

A simple statement to say arrangements will be made to ensure the criteria will be met may just help.....not rocket science PR really.

Is that necessary? Or should we just say no news is good news.

#11 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:31 PM

Is that necessary? Or should we just say no news is good news.

Don't ask a mushroom - we had no news about the numerous winding up orders before they happened. If there is good news why not share it?

#12 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

Could be worse, we could have lost 48 - 0 last Sunday!

#13 higgy

higgy
  • 337 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:51 AM

I thought it was all about meeting minimum criteria for attendance, seating and facilities.
Swinton pass that because they play at the LSV.
We are very unlikely to meet it on current progress at Whitebank and I'm not sure where we would stand on sharing with OAFC again.

It's a real concern because I could see us winning the play offs (for a change) and then getting knocked back by the RFL. That would be a disaster.

I am told from a reliable source that the only criteria that we would need to meet at Whitebank if and when we get promotion is the upgrading of the floodlights and provide seating for a further 500.

#14 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 355 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:07 AM

I am told from a reliable source that the only criteria that we would need to meet at Whitebank if and when we get promotion is the upgrading of the floodlights and provide seating for a further 500.

I seem to remember that being the case. It would not take mega bucks to get the ground up to the minimum standard required. But saying that, it appears the only way would be through grants etc. It doesn't seem as though the club has cash to spare.

#15 rugbyman1

rugbyman1
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

Regarding Rochdale loading the play offs or GF with Saints players yes there is a minimum criteria, games played etc.Also Saints are not the force they were and so there fringe players are not as good as our first teamers in my opinion. Also we played them earlier in the season and they had 5 saints first teamers (wheeler/gasket etc) plus about 5/6 ex Saints reserves and we won well. Also bringing in players for one off games has failed in the past so keep the faith as they say. Our enthusiasm, will to win and never say die attitude has really impressed me of late and so I think we have a better than even chance.

One for all and all for the one

#16 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

I seem to remember that being the case. It would not take mega bucks to get the ground up to the minimum standard required. But saying that, it appears the only way would be through grants etc. It doesn't seem as though the club has cash to spare.

Planning permission itself is expensive, let alone building coats - perhaps a reason why we have heard nothing since last October? Cost aside these things take time and given how well the team is competing presently, understandably people have 'nagging worries'.

As I understand it the Trust have already committed to financially support the work (and should be congratulated for doing so) but why don't we have a ring fenced ground development fund like FC United have? Tell people how much money is in place, how much is needed - this may motivate people to get involved.

#17 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

Planning permission itself is expensive, let alone building coats - perhaps a reason why we have heard nothing since last October? Cost aside these things take time and given how well the team is competing presently, understandably people have 'nagging worries'.

As I understand it the Trust have already committed to financially support the work (and should be congratulated for doing so) but why don't we have a ring fenced ground development fund like FC United have? Tell people how much money is in place, how much is needed - this may motivate people to get involved.

Think you have hit the nail on the head here. The fixture format in this league cannot have generated any income at all. So the cost of planning permission alone would be a bridge to far. Grants and funds can be generated for the work, but if you cant get over the hurdle of planning then its not going to happen soon.

It would be nice if the club would liaise with a body like the trust to give them a defined objective of what fundraising they were required to achieve. Everyone could then pull in the same direction.

#18 davewd

davewd
  • Facebook
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

It would be nice if the club would liaise with a-ny- body regarding ground improvement.

#19 AlwaysCru

AlwaysCru
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

Regarding Rochdale loading the play offs or GF with Saints players yes there is a minimum criteria, games played etc.Also Saints are not the force they were and so there fringe players are not as good as our first teamers in my opinion. Also we played them earlier in the season and they had 5 saints first teamers (wheeler/gasket etc) plus about 5/6 ex Saints reserves and we won well. Also bringing in players for one off games has failed in the past so keep the faith as they say. Our enthusiasm, will to win and never say die attitude has really impressed me of late and so I think we have a better than even chance.

Yes pretty sure they must have played a number if games before they can be used. I wouldn't worry, there were four in against us last weekend and made no difference whatsoever. The game against Oldham at the Racecourse was far tougher as the score suggested and we don't expect to go 26-0 up at Whitebank which we did at Spotland. Oldham are all round a better team than Rochdale.

I think your biggest threat will come from a late flourish from London.....you've got to go there, we've got to go there, they've got three games against the bottom three left as well....

Ultimately though I think you should be looking for where to play next year in the Championship...

#20 old bird

old bird
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

Planning permission last 5 years so can't believe we haven't applied for permission for ground improvements due to costs planning permission cost are £2,000 tops, once you have planning you can apply for grants and other fund raising ideas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users