Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Festival of World Cups thread (merged)

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 696 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

Wednesday sees the start of the Wheelchair Rugby League World Cup.

All fixtures take place at Medway Park in Gillingham Kent. http://www.medwaypar...map_directions/

The easiest way to come by car is M2, turn off at Junction 3, follow signs for Historic Dockyard, drive past Docks and follow A231 along Wood Street.

Fixtures 3rd July 12pm Wales v Ireland, 17:30 Australia v Scotland, 19:30 England v France
6th July 2pm France v Scotland, 4pm England v Ireland, 6pm Australia v Wales
9th July 12pm Scotland v Ireland, 17:30 Australia v France 19:30 England v Wales
13th July
Finals day with the trophy presented by Paralympics legend Tanni Grey-Thompson

Further information about both tournaments plus tickets can be found at http://www.rlfowc2013.com

To all those able to come along, enjoy!

Here is highlights of France's warmup game with Australia

http://www.youtube.c...ture=youtu.be

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#2 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

Also, the Semi Finals are on the 11th

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#3 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

The Festival of World Cups is now well underway, with seperate tournaments for students, women, wheelchair, armed forces and police all taking place.

To avoid too much confusion with multiple seperate threads popping up at random, and also to keep the festival in focus on here, I'm creating this standalone thread to accomodate any and all discussion/comment/news/info etc across all the tournaments.

Please feel free to post about any of the tournaments here, and get along to support them in person if you can. Full details of what's happening and where can be found on the Festival website at www.rlfowc2013.com

Enjoy, and good luck to all the participants!

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#4 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

Student World Cup News

Wales kick-off their Student World Cup campaign on Thursday with national coach Clive Griffiths believing they can make a real impact.
The Welsh squad play South Africa just over a year after lifting the Student Four Nations title by beating England, Scotland and Ireland.
The Welsh coach said: “I want the boys who were with us last year to carry on the success from there. We have the nucleus of that squad with us again but it is disappointing that we have lost one or two boys.
“But we are under no pressure. Australia, New Zealand and England are the favourites going into these tournaments, particularly Australia and New Zealand who had dominated the World Cup since it started.
“We have a 24-man squad and will have to draw on them anyway because the schedule is the most demanding I have ever come across with five games in 12 days. So everyone will play.
“It's all very positive with us. This will be my last Student World Cup as coach and for ninety per cent of the squad, it will be the first and last time they experience it. So I want us to enjoy it and play some good Rugby League.”
The Welsh squad includes Griffiths' son Owen among the forwards and Osian Phillips, who was included in the extended party for last year's Wales senior squad that took part in the Autumn Tests against France in Lens and England in Wrexham.
Wales not only have South Africa in their group but also England and Ireland.

Wales Student World Cup squad (with university names in brackets)

Backs: L.Weaver(Llandrillo), T.Hughes(Loughborough), P.Evans(Gloucester), J.Gahan(Gloucester), Y.Parker(Gloucester), S.Wright(Cardiff Met), J.Knight(Cardiff Met), C.Bennett (Cardiff Met), S.Amber(Cardiff Met), J.Morgan(Leeds Met), B.West(Coventry)

Forwards: I.Duffy(Cardiff Met), H.Elliott(Glamorgan), C.Wilkinson(Cardiff Met), V.Coker(Cardiff Met), M.Connor(Glamorgan), O.Griffiths(Leeds Met), L.Singleton (Cardiff Met), M.Ward(Newcastle), M.Wilcox, A.Munns(St Marys), O.Davies(Glamorgan), J.Davies(Cardiff Met), O.Phillips(Glamorgan)

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#5 sallywt

sallywt
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:25 AM

I've got a question, does anyone know if the NZ Ferns perform a Hakka before the game?

#6 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:28 AM

I've got a question, does anyone know if the NZ Ferns perform a Hakka before the game?

Don't know who the Ferns are, but I think they did at the Armed Forces match. I missed the start of the match, but one of their coaching staff was holding a spear during the match. That may have just been in case a fight broke out though

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#7 sallywt

sallywt
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

Don't know who the Ferns are, but I think they did at the Armed Forces match. I missed the start of the match, but one of their coaching staff was holding a spear during the match. That may have just been in case a fight broke out though

The Women's team.

#8 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:54 AM

The Women's team.

Annoyingly, I think I'm going to miss the start of that one too!

I'm leaving work at 13:30 on Friday, so that should get me to Dewsbury round about 16:30. I seem to be destined never to see a haka!

#9 sallywt

sallywt
  • Coach
  • 510 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

Annoyingly, I think I'm going to miss the start of that one too!

I'm leaving work at 13:30 on Friday, so that should get me to Dewsbury round about 16:30. I seem to be destined never to see a haka!

I'll be there and close to the action ;-)

#10 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

I'm hearing Wales beat Ireland in the Wheelchair. 104-6

#11 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,570 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

Any info on the police WC?
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#12 burnleywelsh

burnleywelsh
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:28 PM

Any info on the police WC?

First game on Friday 8pm GB v Aus at Dewsbury.

#13 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 696 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

Wheelchair HT Aus 78 Sco 0

Australia are younger faster and more skillful, plenty of people though are hoping Scotland will score.

#14 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 696 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

Wheelchair FT Aus 148 Sco 0 Australia` Jason Attard was superb breaking through the line at will and he scored umpteen tries.  Scotland tried hard but were outclassed by superior opponents.

#15 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 696 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

Wheelchair HT England 8 France 12.An absorbing first half saw England kick an early penalty for offside. France replied with a quick burst through the posts. England then scored the try of the game with a great chip and chase. France had the last word,wrongfooting the English defence. Great game with a good crowd.

#16 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 696 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:02 PM

Wheelchair HT England 8 France 12.An absorbing first half saw England kick an early penalty for offside. France replied with a quick burst through the posts. England then scored the try of the game with a great chip and chase. France had the last word,wrongfooting the English defence. Great game with a good crowd.

#17 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 696 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

Wheelchair FT England 20 France 28. France upset the World Cup holders with a well deserved win with their kicking reliability the difference. England failed to land four of their penalties or conversion attempts.This is to take nothing away from France who were superb. Very enjoyable game despite the result.

#18 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 747 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

Wednesday sees the start of the Wheelchair Rugby League World Cup.

All fixtures take place at Medway Park in Gillingham Kent. http://www.medwaypar...map_directions/
The easiest way to come by car is M2, turn off at Junction 3, follow signs for Historic Dockyard, drive past Docks and follow A231 along Wood Street.
Fixtures 3rd July 12pm Wales v Ireland, 17:30 Australia v Scotland, 19:30 England v France
6th July 2pm France v Scotland, 4pm England v Ireland, 6pm Australia v Wales
9th July 12pm Scotland v Ireland, 17:30 Australia v France 19:30 England v Wales
13th July
Finals day with the trophy presented by Paralympics legend Tanni Grey-Thompson
Further information about both tournaments plus tickets can be found at http://www.rlfowc2013.com

To all those able to come along, enjoy!

Here is highlights of France's warmup game with Australia
http://www.youtube.c...ture=youtu.be

Good luck to all involved

#19 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,487 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

Wheelchair FT Aus 148 Sco 0 Australia` Jason Attard was superb breaking through the line at will and he scored umpteen tries.  Scotland tried hard but were outclassed by superior opponents.

I was hoping wheelchair RL, being a relatively young sport, would be a bit of a leveller when it came to playing the Aussies. Obviously not, but I hope the Scots can pick themselves up from this defeat.

Shame about England's result too, especially as they are defending their crown. Good to see other teams coming through, however.

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#20 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:33 PM

Armed Forces results taken from GBAFRL Twitter page:-

GB 98 Serbia 0

Australia 32 New Zealand 22

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users