Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Festival of World Cups thread (merged)

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#21 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:41 AM

Australian Women are ready for the competition http://www.guardian....-cup?CMP=twt_gu

www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#22 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:50 AM

Armed Forces results taken from GBAFRL Twitter page:-

GB 98 Serbia 0

Australia 32 New Zealand 22

So, GB v Australia in the final it is then!

As I said on Sunday, NZ are Serbia's best bet at getting some points on the board

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#23 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

Parliamentarian to present Student World Cup trophy

The RFL are pleased  to announce that Leeds North West MP Greg Mulholland will be guest of honour at the Student Rugby League World Cup final at Headingley Carnegie Stadium, Leeds, on Sunday July 14.
Mulholland, the Chairman of the All Party Parliamentary Rugby League Group, will present the trophy to the winning captain after the final.
A member of York University’s Rugby League team during his time as a politics undergraduate there, Mulholland has a long-standing relationship with the sport and is looking forward to watching the 2013 Student World Cup unfold.
"I'm delighted to be invited by the RFL and the Festival of World Cups organisers to present the trophy to the winning captain in the Student World Cup," said Mullholland.
"Rugby League is a sport I have long followed and admired for its strong connection within the local community and the discipline and dedication shown by players, coaches and fans alike. It is an honour to have this responsibilty given to me.
"Student Rugby League has continued to grow throughout the past few years and I look forward to watching what I am sure will be some top class Rugby League action throughout the competition."
Festival of World Cups Director Julia Lee said: “We’re delighted to have Greg Mulholland attending the Student World Cup final for what promises to be a fantastic day of Rugby League action at Headingley Carnegie Stadium.
“Greg has been a long-term supporter of Rugby League and we have built a very strong relationship with him over recent years. He regularly pushes the sport’s achievements within the houses of parliament and his attendance at the Finals Day adds yet another element to what already promises to be a great occasion.”
Tickets for the Festival of World Cup Finals Day at Headingley Carnegie Stadium on Sunday July 14, when the Women’s, Students and Police World Cup Finals will be staged, cost from just £6 adult and £2 concessions and can be purchased by calling 0844 856 1113 or visiting https://www.eticketi...le/default.aspx

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#24 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

Scotland Students have been beaten 96-0 against Australia.

https://www.facebook...cation=timeline

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#25 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

The other Student results -

England 54 Ireland 6

http://www.rlfowc201...-england-54---6

New Zealand 122 Russia 0

http://www.rlfowc201...w-zealand-122--

Wales 30 South Africa 10

http://www.rlfowc201...10-south-africa

Good to see the South Africans competitive against the Welsh.

#26 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,633 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

Couple of links to pages with videos showing about 2 minutes of highlights from GB's games in the Forces WC -

GB v NZ - http://www.bfbs.com/...-cup-63944.html

GB v Serbia - http://www.bfbs.com/...-cup-63977.html

#27 dunno much

dunno much
  • Coach
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:55 AM

I've got a question, does anyone know if the NZ Ferns perform a Hakka before the game?

Yes they do

#28 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

Titterington relishing World Cup

England player Danielle Titterington believes England have the talent at their disposal to go all the way in the Women's Rugby League World Cup.
England begin their campaign against Australia at the Tetley's Stadium, Dewsbury, on Friday and Titterington feels this is the best chance England have ever had at picking up the trophy.
“I’ve been around the England side for a long time now and I truly believe that this is the strongest side we have had in my time," said Titterington.
"We’ve got a great coaching and management set-up off the field that have backed us all the way. That has improved us second to none and I think we’re in with a really good chance in the World Cup.
“I’ve played since 2000 and the difference in the team, skill level and knowledge of players across the Women’s game has increased massively since then and I think we have a great squad together."
Victory against Australia will see again take a huge step towards the Women's World Cup final at Headingley Carnegie Stadium on Sunday July 14 and Titterington is relishing the prospect of contesting the World Cup crown on home soil.
“Anyone that knows the Women’s game knows that New Zealand are the team to best but we all know that Australia are going to be a very strong side as well," she said.
"But the preparation we have had and the build-up we have had to the competition has been excellent. We’ve come close to them before and I think we can go all the way.
 “I’m from Leeds and it would be great to see a big crowd at the games as they’re all in the local area.
"There’s nothing better than playing for your country and to do that in your home town and win just makes it even more special.
“There are a lot of people around who haven’t heard of Women’s Rugby League but those that come to games have seen how tough and quick the game is and it’s a great sport to watch at this level. Anyone that comes to the World Cup will see that Women’s games can be just as exciting and tense as men’s games and hopefully we can be the first to lift that trophy."
Tickets for the Festivals of World Cup Finals Day at Headingley Carnegie Stadium on Sunday July 14, when the Women’s, Students and Police World Cup Finals will be staged, cost from just £6 adult and £2 concessions and can be purchased by calling 0844 856 1113 or visiting www.eticketing.co.uk/rle/default.aspx

On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.

#29 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

Maloney loving life in the forces
#fowc2013

Former Dewsbury Rams, Featherstone Rovers, Barrow Raiders and Halifax player Dominic Maloney is aiming to become a World Cup winner on Saturday July 13 (2.00pm) as part of the Great Britain Armed Forces Rugby League squad.
Great Britain secured their place in the final after back-to-back wins over New Zealand and Serbia and having completed basic training just a few weeks ago, Maloney is hoping to complete a clean sweep against Australia.
"I've just completed basic training and it was very hard," said Maloney. "It's different to anything I've ever experienced before and really pushed me above and beyond my limits both physically and mentally.
"But the sense of achievement you feel when you get through that, push yourself and come out the other side is immense - you know you come out of it a stronger person and there's a lot of pride in that.
"That type of test can only be beneficial on the pitch as well because it's made me physically fitter and stronger and mentally tougher as well and that's all important on the pitch.
"The set up in Great Britain camp is excellent and as good as anything I ever experienced in the professional game. The standard of the game is very high and I was lightly surprised at just how high it is and I definitely think there are a few players in the competition who could go all the way."
Great Britain face Australia, who have also recorded victories over Serbia and New Zealand in the group stage and Maloney is relishing the prospect of completing a clean sweep over the competing nations on home soil.
"Growing up you as a Rugby League fans in England you always want to play against Australia and smash them," he said. "To actually do that would be something else.
"We had a great win against New Zealand and everyone is buzzing in camp. They were a typically physical Kiwi side but we can mix it with any of them and we got a good win so hopefully we can keep that going into the game against Australia.
"Every Rugby League player dreams of beating Australia in an international tournament at any level and of lifting an international trophy - that's within our grasp.
"Hopefully, we can pull it all off."
The Armed Forces World Cup Final at Colchester Garrison will be free of charge, but fans will be encouraged to make a donation to Services charities.

#30 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,120 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

Match Photos from Wales v SA and England v Ireland at http://www.gcsportsphotos.co.uk

#31 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

I'm not normally one to criticise referees, but the one doing GB v Australia women is completely incompetent
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#32 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:16 PM

Wheelchair FRA 108 SCO 2 France breaking thru the Scots at will.

#33 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

Wheelchair Small consolation for the Scots is that after 107 minutes of effort in the World Cup is they did slot over a penalty for offside to register their first score.

#34 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

Wheelchair Small consolation for the Scots is that after 107 minutes of effort in the World Cup is they did slot over a penalty for offside to register their first score.

#35 brooza

brooza
  • 4,295 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

I'm informed that NZ beat Serbia in the armed forces world cup 64-6

Good to see Serbia score. I had a feeling they would against NZ

#36 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:39 PM

Wheelchair France set a new points record 154 and still 3 minutes to go.
FT FRANCE 154 SCOTLAND 2 France become the first side to qualify for the semi-finals with a victory every bit as resounding as the score suggests. Scotland have had a rotten draw facing two of the tournament's strongest teams first up.

Edited by flyingking, 06 July 2013 - 02:59 PM.

#37 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

Wheelchair HT England 24 Ireland 4 A couple of penalties by Irish captain Nathan Clarke at either end of the half sandwiched four English tries. Local lad, teenager Joe Coyd who plays for the Medway Dragons grabbed a 20 minute hattrick with pacy bursts down the left.

#38 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

Stevo has just scored a try!!! Not the Sky Sports pundit but his namesake and England Wheelchair Captain Mike Stevenson to make it 66-8 14 minutes to go.

#39 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:26 PM

Wheelchair FT England 86 Ireland 8 Eenager Joe Coyd was the local hero grabbing a double hattrick on his own pitch as England exposed Ireland`s lack on stamina with a comfortable victory.

#40 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

Wheelchair half time Wales 10 Australia 4 Wales just have the advantage in a bruising compelling encounter. Australia got the first score, before Jon Dunn dived for the corner. The major talking point was Michael Knight grounding the ball after he had apparently been tackled, but the ref allowed the try to stand.

Edited by flyingking, 06 July 2013 - 06:19 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users