Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The Festival of World Cups thread (merged)

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#41 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

Wheelchair Jon Dunn jinked through a non existant gap to score a splendid try. But Wales good work looks like being undermined by Paul Craig's yellow card. Rich Engles taking advantage of the space. 16 10 with 19 mins left.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#42 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

Wheelchair FT Wales 25 Australia 16 Another amazing game saw Australia come to within a point of overhauling Wales before a late surge saw the Valley boys pull ahead. Price's yellow card after he had crossed the referee once too often looked to have cost Wales dearly. However the Aussies could only use the space created once.Knight dropped a goal but Australia dived into the corner to make it 17 16. Jon Dunn completed a well deserved hattrick to wrap up a Red victory. Great game, shame there was a loser.

#43 henage

henage
  • Coach
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

sound like a great game

#44 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,926 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

Well done Wales, and it's a small point I know, but I look forward to the day when people don't think the whole of Wales is "the valleys"! Just a bugbear of mine
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#45 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 985 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

Video Highlights now being uploaded - keep checking back to www.rlfowc2013.com/video

#46 brooza

brooza
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:27 PM

Wheelchair FT Wales 25 Australia 16 Another amazing game saw Australia come to within a point of overhauling Wales before a late surge saw the Valley boys pull ahead. Price's yellow card after he had crossed the referee once too often looked to have cost Wales dearly. However the Aussies could only use the space created once.Knight dropped a goal but Australia dived into the corner to make it 17 16. Jon Dunn completed a well deserved hattrick to wrap up a Red victory. Great game, shame there was a loser.

I heard rumours of Tim Sheens being in attendance

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#47 Impartial Observer

Impartial Observer
  • Coach
  • 471 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

I heard rumours of Tim Sheens being in attendance

Yes he was there

#48 brooza

brooza
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:50 PM

Yes he was there

Hoping he'll be there Thursday. Probably won't be though

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#49 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 756 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:20 PM

I posted the photo on the Wales thread, but for Brooza's benefit here it is again.

As an aside check out who pitched up to offer the Aussies some motivation

Bit of encouragement from @auskangaroos coach Tim Sheens pre game @FOWC2013 @NRL pic.twitter.com/uDLbgfd0rP

#50 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:57 AM

I've noted that the Aussie teams that I've seen pics of (women, wheelchair) in this festival are wearing gold and green, not green and gold.

This is a small thing but it's bugging me.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#51 League Express

League Express
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

Brothers in arms gunning for World Cup glory

Twin brothers Lewis and Ryan Taylor are determined to play their part in ensuring Great Britain emerge victorious in the Armed Forces Rugby League World Cup so they they get their hands on the trophy in unison.
The brothers are more accustomed to competing against each other on the pitch in inter-service competitions, with Lewis a member of the Royal Navy and Ryan in the Army, but the former Leeds Rhinos Academy players are hoping success will come to both of them this week.
"It's really nice to come together and play on the same side again," said Lewis. "We played together as kids and through the Leeds Academy system but when we joined the forces we went separate ways.
"We've been playing against each other since then so it's great to be back alongside each other and competing for a title."
Lewis has already experienced World Cup success as part of Great Britain's successful 2008 Armed Forces side and brother Ryan is hoping to experience that same sensation this month.
"It's a massive thing for me to be playing in a World Cup," said Ryan. "Unless you progress all the way through to the very elite level of Super League, the only other chance you ever have of representing your country and playing for a World Cup is through the forces.
"If you don't make it to the top flight then this level offers you a real chance to represent your country with pride and it's still a very high level of competition."
Lewis said: "I'm quite privileged in that i played in 2008.  To go to Australia and play on behalf of your country was fantastic - now it's on home soil it's even bigger though and especially to be together.
"Home soil is massive for us. In our past four meetings with Australia we have won - which makes us the only international level team that has that good a record against Australia on the big stage.
"We don't want to let that slip. It's something we've been aiming at since 2008 and there has been a lot of hard work put in by the players and staff during that time so it's the culmination of a lot of hard work."
Having progressed through the Leeds Rhinos Academy set-up as youngsters, both brothers came to the conclusion that their further within the game lay elsewhere and signed up to their respective forces within an eight-month period.
"I got to 21 and looked at the other lads coming through the system at the same time and realised that none of us had ever really experienced the world," said Lewis.
"Finance and fame wasn't something that attracted me - I wanted to experienced the world and see what was out there. Joining the Navy has given me the chance to see a lot of the world and it's a very privileged lifestyle.
"As a 'tracksuit sailor' I'm often away representing the Navy on the pitch and that brings a real sense of pride, both personally and for my unit, with it."
Ryan said: “When you're in the Academy set up and you get to the end of the year, a few people get signed up for the pro level and the rest sort of drop out of the system a little.
"Some get contract at semi-pro, some go on loans etc but it's hard to fight your way back to elite level from there. I'd always been attracted by the idea of joining the services and when I got released at Leeds it was a natural fit.
"I wanted a different take on life and to experience what soldering was and put myself in a physically demanding situation and it's a decision I'm very happy I made."

The public are welcome to attend all Armed Forces World Cup matches. Fixtures onJuly 3 and 10 will take place on pitches at the Budd VC Gymnasium on Berechurch Road, Colchester, with the matches on July 13 played at the Garrison B Ground on Circular Road North.
Entry to all games is free of charge.

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#52 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:00 PM

Police World Cup FT

Australia 32 Fiji 24

Fiji were leading 24-14 with 10 minutes to go

#53 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 985 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:09 PM

1127 people at Featherstone tonight!

#54 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

Good stuff. Shame England lost though.

#55 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:26 AM

That's very impressive indeed.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#56 MidlandsRugbyLeague

MidlandsRugbyLeague
  • Coach
  • 985 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

That's very impressive indeed.

It was awesome! Great effort by all and a truly fantastic match!

#57 Jim from Oz

Jim from Oz
  • Coach
  • 825 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:19 AM

What game was this for ??????

#58 M.Knight

M.Knight
  • Coach
  • 186 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:34 AM

police world cup and 2 women's world cup matches

#59 League Express

League Express
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:43 AM

On Monday 8 July, representatives of the Serbian Armed Forces Rugby League Team visited Parliament as part of their Armed Services Rugby League World Cup tour.

The Armed Forces competition is part of a Festival of rugby league world cups currently being played in England this year.  Police, students, women and wheelchair tournaments also feature, ahead of the Rugby League World Cup 2013 which takes place over six weeks in October and November.

The Armed Forces Rugby League World Cup enters the knock-out stages on Wednesday 10 July when the Serbians will face Australia and GB will take on the Kiwis.

Chairman of the Parliamentary Rugby League Group, Leeds North West MP Greg Mulholland, said: “not only is it fantastic to see an Armed Forces Rugby League World Cup taking place in the UK, it’s great to see an emerging rugby league nation like Serbia taking part. We met representatives of Great Britain Armed Forces Rugby League two weeks ago, and it is a pleasure to meet the Serbians.  The Group will be writing to the Serbian Ambassador saying how important it is for them to have taken part and wishing them continued success in developing the game in their country.”

Speaking on behalf of the Serbian side was Lieutenant Colonel Dragon Todorov who said, “We are proud to be taking part in the World Cup.  We would like to thank the Great Britain Combined Services Rugby League for their support and all those involved in the Festival of World Cups for making this such a good trip.  It is wonderful to be able to take some time to visit the Houses of Parliament and we would like to thank the Parliamentary Group for their support for the game.”

Chairman of Great Britain Armed Forces Rugby League is Air Commodore Dean Andrew who added: “This has been a tremendous tournament for rugby league in this country and in our Armed Forces in particular.  We are looking to two further tough, physical games in the coming week.  We are very grateful for the Group's longstanding and continued support; both to us and to our services counterparts throughout the world.

The final of the Armed Forces Rugby League World is being held at Colchester Garrison on Saturday 13 July.  More information about the Armed Forces tournament, and those for the Police, Students, Women, and Wheelchair athletes can be found at the Festival of World Cups’ website: www.rlfowc2013.com.

On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.

#60 League Express

League Express
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

Tamani dreaming of second World Cup win

Great Britain Armed Forces player Tim Tamani is hoping to collect his second World Cup winners’ medal in the Armed Forces World Cup final on Saturday July 13.
Tamani is one of only five current squad members who featured during the 2008 Armed Forces World Cup in Australia and the Fijian-born powerhouse is relishing the prospect of successfully retaining the title.
"In 2000 I applied to join the British Army and got accepted in 2003 and joined the Army," said Tamani.
"It's a major honour for me to now be able to represent Great Britain in international competition and to pull on the jersey fills me with immense pride every time.
"I'm one of only five players still remaining from the 2008 World Cup, so I'm an old head in the squad, but the competition is very important to me personally and I will give my all to retain the trophy.
"The standards have risen since 2008 and it's even tougher than before, but that's what you expect in a World Cup and we've responded very well so far."
Great Britain have looked impressive in their two competitive games so far, overcoming New Zealand and Serbia and with a game against Australia to come before the final Tamani says the ethos of the forces ensures the squad will not give up until the trophy is theirs.
"Playing in this competition is important for all of us," he said. "Only 25 men get this chance and we know how privileged and honoured we are.
"Only 17 get to play in a match as well so there are some guys who have been disappointed not to play yet, but we all come together and we are a strong unit and we play for each other.
"That spirit is something that fits naturally with the sport of Rugby League.
"Relentlessness on the pitch, determination to succeed and the team spirit and camaraderie of the game are all traits that transfer across to the services so Rugby League has a natural bond with the forces and we are all determined to win the World Cup for all of Rugby League in Great Britain."
The public are welcome to attend all Armed Forces World Cup matches. The fixture 10 July will take place on pitch at the Budd VC Gymnasium on Berechurch Road, with the final on 13 July being played at the Garrison B Ground on Circular Road North.
The Armed Forces World Cup Final at Colchester Garrison will be free of charge, but fans will be encouraged to make a donation to Services charities.