Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Cricket - The Ashes

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,988 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

Top scorer now the Australia number 11...

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#22 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

Australia have passed 200 now.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#23 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

Cock.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#24 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

Australia catch up with England's total. Bum.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#25 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

The teenage No.11 Agar out for 98!

#26 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 02:10 PM

The teenage No.11 Agar out for 98!

"Agar out" must make some RL fans feel nostalgic, eh? ;)

#27 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:00 PM

England two down for next to nowt, still 54 runs behind, and Starc on a hat-trick. Not going well, is it? Cricket… bl**dy hell!
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#28 Bazz

Bazz
  • Coach
  • 285 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

There has been more interest and excitement in this match so far already than most T20 matches.

This is sport at it's best.

#29 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

This is sport at it's best.

And its nuttiest! I was planning to go to the shopping centre on the way home, but I don't know if I could bear to miss the highlights on C5. :)

#30 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,825 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

And its nuttiest! I was planning to go to the shopping centre on the way home, but I don't know if I could bear to miss the highlights on C5. :)

Definitely worth watching. I've only seen bits of the game today, but what I have seen has been excellent - or at least very entertaiing
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#31 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,518 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

KP getting his head down and grafting!

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#32 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:44 AM

Definitely worth watching. I've only seen bits of the game today, but what I have seen has been excellent - or at least very entertaiing

There's no way he's a No.11. That wasn't a plucky knock; he was playing shots that had even Boycott in raptures. Agar was interviewed afterwards and seemed like a nice guy, too.

Edited by Futtocks, 12 July 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#33 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,313 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

The ICC has apologised to England on behalf of their incompetent third umpire and his useless technology.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#34 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,931 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

"Agar out" must make some RL fans feel nostalgic, eh? ;)

The ICC has apologised to England on behalf of their incompetent third umpire and his useless technology.

As does this :)

Edited by Griff9of13, 12 July 2013 - 11:15 AM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#35 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:03 AM

Pinched from fb

Stuart Broad is Staying Alive

Well you can tell by the way I didn't walk
It's an Ashes Test, no time to talk
Snicko loud and weather warm
My dad beat the Ozzies before I was born
Now it's alright, it's ok,
Aleem looked the other way
You can try to understand
The third umpire's an Ozzie fan

Whether you're a walker or a sledger or a talker, I'm staying alive, staying alive
Ozzie hearts are breaking and Darren Lehman's shaking but I'm staying alive, staying alive

Well, now I bowl fast and I hit high 
and if I can't do either, I really try 
Got the wings of heaven on my shoes 
I'm a Trent Bridge man and I just can't lose 
You know, it's all right. It's OK. 
I'll live to bat another day 
We can try to understand 
With Ian Bell I've made my stand 

Whether you're a walker or a sledger or a talker, I'm staying alive, staying alive
Ozzie hearts are breaking and Darren Lehman's shaking but I'm staying alive, staying alive
staying alive

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#36 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

Just missed the Agar wicket trying to light the bbq - man came to take over

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#37 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,351 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 03:33 PM

Great game. A full house for a match where they may have seen less than half an hour of play. The importance of international cricket, at least in England, cannot be overstated.

On the same day another full house for a county T20 game in Chesterfield.

RL bosses must be very jealous of this, but seemingly nothing they can do about it. (*)

(*) Note - bringing back GB isn't the answer.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#38 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

Five days of my nerves being shredded. Massive win in terms of the psychology of the series

If England had lost a game that, like the Champions Trophy final they were expected to win, this would have been a massive psychological downer

equally had Australia as the underdogs pulled off a win then that would have set them up for the series. It is a bitter pill to swallow coming so close more so that a 100 run defeat and this may open up the rifts in the Australian dressing room.

On the Agar first innings dig no one mention two important facts, firstly Broad was unable to bowl until the end of that innings and extending the lunch interval by 30 minutes meant he and Hughes could flog a tiring attack.. It points out the need for England to have four fit and firing bowlers.

The other point is despite batting all the way from 1 to 11 Austalia only mustered 280 and 296 neither of which are match winning scores.

The positive energies are with England and a strong showing on the first day at Lords on Thursday could seal the series in England.

Where is JWAD these days :tomato:

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#39 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,130 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

Great game. A full house for a match where they may have seen less than half an hour of play. The importance of international cricket, at least in England, cannot be overstated.

RL bosses must be very jealous of this, but seemingly nothing they can do about it. (*)

Not sure that's an entirely fair comparison.

#40 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

It's not the answer but I think we were mistaken to drop it.

The Ashes are pretty much the only cricket events that I have any interest in. I enjoyed the test but I'm just not going to watch our tours against anybody else with anything like the same enthusiasm.

Whilst it didn't have the same national appeal obviously as the cricket, I can't help but feel the RL Ashes series were the only equivalent that we had. Competing against the Aussies in a tournament with history behind it was the only time we captured the publics imagination internationally. For some reason playing the Kiwis never replicated the interest and other subsequent tournaments don't quite have the same feel. I don't think we can simply bring them back and it have the same effect but in hindsight we should never have dropped them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users