Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Cricket - The Ashes

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,118 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

The reality is that most people would say 'why do you call them The Ashes that's a cricket thing'.
Most people don't even know that the RL team had an Ashes series and would probably think they were bogus.

#42 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,299 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

Cricket can't even replicate the success of the Ashes with either ODIs against Australia or tests against other countries.

That was, however, one of the great Test matches.  Five days of fluctuating cricket - both teams with moments when they were in control and times when everything seemed to be heading their way, only for everything to change ...  and two legendary performances: Agar's 98 and Anderson's 10 wickets.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#43 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,712 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

The reality is that most people would say 'why do you call them The Ashes that's a cricket thing'.
Most people don't even know that the RL team had an Ashes series and would probably think they were bogus.

They would now but we did used to get good publicity for them and they were big within our community and the floating fans. I remember after the first 1997 test, we bought the Telegraph and the front page of the sports section was a huge photo of Kris Radlinksi going up for the bomb with a headline about it.

#44 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,118 posts

Posted 14 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

They would now but we did used to get good publicity for them and they were big within our community and the floating fans. I remember after the first 1997 test, we bought the Telegraph and the front page of the sports section was a huge photo of Kris Radlinksi going up for the bomb with a headline about it.

When I first heard the term in relation to RL, I thought 'why do they call them that? '
And the 1997 series was full of negative coverage but I won't derail a cricket thread with the details.
Nb I haven't seen one second of the ashes so far and only know that England won because I have read it on here.

#45 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

Cricket can't even replicate the success of the Ashes with either ODIs against Australia or tests against other countries.

That was, however, one of the great Test matches.  Five days of fluctuating cricket - both teams with moments when they were in control and times when everything seemed to be heading their way, only for everything to change ...  and two legendary performances: Agar's 98 and Anderson's 10 wickets.

Bell's century was also key. Anderson, though… what a bowler. Swann was a bit hit and miss, Finn scattergun, and Broad only bowled a relatively limited amount of overs. Yet Anderson somehow dragged England over the line at the death… he deserves all the praise coming his way.

Managed to miss the end of the game as on All Golds duty - checked the over-by-over BBC sport live commentary thing while waiting to find out what was happening with the game, and we'd won. Cue restrained celebrations in the press box (I.E Chris Wilson, myself and the All Golds' young media man).
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#46 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,844 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

Another highlight; Henry Blofeld letting slip that his nickname at school was 'Bl0wj0b' and the collapse of everyone else in the commentary box. :D

Edited by Futtocks, 15 July 2013 - 09:45 AM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#47 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,844 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

The Daily Mash on Test Cricket. I like it! :D

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#48 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,458 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

Lancashire v Glamorgan 2nd day today. Lancs 93 for no wicket despite one of the umpires being Alex Wharf.

Alex, I know you're new to the job, but remember you are from Bradford and played for Yorkshire and Glamorgan. Literally and figuratively, pull your finger out.

;)

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#49 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,844 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

Second test (Lords) - England win the toss and elect to bat. Finn out, Bresnan in. Late start this morning as Mrs H.M.Queen is popping in for a visit.

#50 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,844 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:50 AM

Oh blimey... :unsure:

#51 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

28-3 on a batting wicket.

#52 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

28-3 on a batting wicket.

We've got to give the Aussies a chance though, give them three top wickets early as a "handicap" and they might get close ;)

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#53 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,789 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

and two legendary performances: Agar's 98 and Anderson's 10 wickets.

I love cricket, but it seems to be reaching union levels of hyperbole. Almost any impressive feat or slightly surprising event must be described as 'legendary', 'sensational', or 'unbelievable'.

Is someone getting 98 on a flattish wicket really 'legendary'? It was a good knock for sure, and almost won them the game.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#54 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,844 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

Is someone getting 98 on a flattish wicket really 'legendary'? It was a good knock for sure, and almost won them the game.

For a teenager making his test and Ashes debut, getting 98 (and a very stylish one too) is pretty special. Breaking more than one all-time test record in the process is also worth a mention.

#55 Shadow45

Shadow45
  • Coach
  • 4,878 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

183-4 at tea and a nice call back for one of Yorkshires finest, gotta love a no ball

#56 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,299 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

I love cricket, but it seems to be reaching union levels of hyperbole. Almost any impressive feat or slightly surprising event must be described as 'legendary', 'sensational', or 'unbelievable'.

I picked those two and chose the phrase 'legendary' carefully as I think those performances will enter the game's folklore.  Agar broke pretty much every known record for a number 11, a debutante and a teenager.  He turned a heavy first innings deficit into a useful lead - and whilst the pitch *shouldn't* have been causing problems it was 117-9 when he came in.  And he made it look easy.

Anderson's final morning exertions were incredible.  To bowl that many overs and to take crucial wicket after crucial wicket...  again, it's a performance that people will refer back to as long as the Ashes are contested.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#57 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

For a teenager making his test and Ashes debut, getting 98 (and a very stylish one too) is pretty special. Breaking more than one all-time test record in the process is also worth a mention.

It was phenomenal even on a batting wicket, he was 11th man so any mistake by his partner would have ended the innings, that tends to make people hit out.

#58 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,297 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

I picked those two and chose the phrase 'legendary' carefully as I think those performances will enter the game's folklore.  Agar broke pretty much every known record for a number 11, a debutante and a teenager.  He turned a heavy first innings deficit into a useful lead - and whilst the pitch *shouldn't* have been causing problems it was 117-9 when he came in.  And he made it look easy.

Anderson's final morning exertions were incredible.  To bowl that many overs and to take crucial wicket after crucial wicket...  again, it's a performance that people will refer back to as long as the Ashes are contested.

Agreed on both counts.

#59 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 12:56 PM

The Aussies haven't quite got the hang of this review system yet...

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#60 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,933 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

The Aussies haven't quite got the hang of this review system yet...

3 wickets now, 3 poor uses of review.  First was reviewed when it shouldn't have been, second was not reviewed when it should have, third was reviewed but not allowed despite the batsman thinking he didn't hit the thing.

Ah well, the umpires can have a shocker for the rest of the innings and nowt the Aussies can do about it.