Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

England to play Italy in historic first international

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

History will be made on Saturday October 19 when England and Italy play their first ever Rugby League international in a friendly fixture at Salford.
The match will take place just seven days before England kick-off Rugby League World Cup 2013 against Australia in the opening fixture of the 14-nation tournament at Cardiff’s Millennium Stadium, where Italy face Wales on the same day in an eagerly-anticipated double-header.

Click here to view the article
League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#2 brooza

brooza
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:44 AM

Will have to see about coming up for that one

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#3 Gruff

Gruff
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

Funnily enough this has stoked my interest more than say Eng vs France/Wales

#4 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

I remember barla beating Italy in 2000 world cup , I think the coach of Italy played in it, with a lot of nrl players also. cant see them being a test for England!

#5 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

It should have been Lebanon

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#6 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

I don't think that WC warm up games should be played in venues which will be hosting actual WC matches. As for the match itself, a lot depends on what sort of squad Italy bring over, but you'd expect England wouldn't be too troubled by them.

It should have been Lebanon

It would have been nice if some of the sides that didn't qualify could've been used by sides in the WC for warm up games, although then I guess we're back to the old issue of finances. I'm sure the likes of Lebanon would've loved to have tested themselves against one of the WC sides.

Edited by thirteenthman, 03 July 2013 - 10:52 AM.

#7 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 589 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

Didn't Italy play England and France in a triangular tournament in 52/53?

Regardless if nothing else this match will prove to be a good warm up for England leading into their clash against Australia.  Italy will be forming a relatively strong squad and will be keen to show everyone how competitive they can be.

Posted Image

#8 westlondonfan

westlondonfan
  • Coach
  • 465 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

Good idea. Will Craig Gower be back sooner than anyone have predicted?

#9 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

Italy beat Russia this past week 38-18. Captained by the Australian Ray Nasso the Avignon hooker who was MOTM in this years Lord Derby Cup Final. Other French based players included centre Christophe Calegari & prop Cedric Prizzon.
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#10 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

I remember barla beating Italy in 2000 world cup , I think the coach of Italy played in it, with a lot of nrl players also. cant see them being a test for England!

My abiding memories of GB BARLA at Dewsbury are a supporter with a bell and BARLA refusing to lend Italy a kicking tee to kick off with

The Morocco squad were there (I read that the Moroccan RFU intends abolishing them if possible in Lesgue Express this week) as were USA Women

#11 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,694 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

Good to see England having a warm-up game before the start of the tournament; Itlay of course will be a stern test. I wish it wasn't at Salford though; it's a venue for the competition itself.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#12 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,869 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

Didn't Italy play England and France in a triangular tournament in 52/53?

Maybe that was Great Britain?

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#13 ehbandit

ehbandit
  • Coach
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

My abiding memories of GB BARLA at Dewsbury are a supporter with a bell and BARLA refusing to lend Italy a kicking tee to kick off with

The Morocco squad were there (I read that the Moroccan RFU intends abolishing them if possible in Lesgue Express this week) as were USA Women

I remember the crowd singing "who let the dogs out" all the game, I don't know why tho! I think the barla team was a very strong one at the time. I will try and find a team list

#14 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

I think it will be a great game, as mentioned with the NRL players in the Italian squad it could be pretty entertaining where the ball gets some air and attack is the order of the day.

Edited by AndyCapp, 03 July 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#15 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

We'll be battle hardened for the world cup opener then, nothing like hammering a team full of part timers to prepare a side.

What a farce, they'd have been better off playing a team made up of players from the Championship.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#16 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,866 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

We'll be battle hardened for the world cup opener then, nothing like hammering a team full of part timers to prepare a side.

What a farce, they'd have been better off playing a team made up of players from the Championship.

Not sure about that.

Anthony Minichello

Mark  Minichello

Aidan Guerra

Shaun Berrigan

Vic Mauro

Craig Gower

James Tedesco

Anthony Laffranchi

Cameron Ciraldo

Kade Snowden

Terry Campese

Add some local Italians to complete the team.

That team is not much worse than the Exiles team

http://www.tntmagazi...ld-cup-for-free

#17 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

The team will probably be quite strong but the galling thing to me is that they should be using more of the Italian players. I mean I can see the sense from a coach point of view, but it is a bit unfair imo.

#18 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 409 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

I remember the crowd singing "who let the dogs out" all the game, I don't know why tho! I think the barla team was a very strong one at the time. I will try and find a team list

BARLA team was...

1. Dave Hedgecock
2. Stephen Norton
3. Phil O'Neil
4. Darrell Cooper
5. Wayne McHugh
6. Darren Jones
7. Terry Lynn
8. Stuart Dancer
9. Mark Jackson
10. Nigel Halmshaw
11. Brian Newby
12. Ian Devlin
13. Scott Fletcher

Sub: Rob Shaw, Paul Davidson, Phil Sherwen, Paul Birdsall

#19 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

An international team full of Aussies who cant get in their national side - just what the game needs.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#20 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

An international team full of Aussies who cant get in their national side - just what the game needs.

I saw teams in the Olympics containing hardly any regular players from that country. Handball for instance. (Not a dig before GJ starts)
Sometimes it is irrelevant as long as the game is entertaining.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users