Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

England to play Italy in historic first international

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#41 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,957 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:46 AM

The venue is a shocking choice.

The venue is trying to sell tickets for Scotland v USA - why on earth would anybody go to that over England v Italy.

Often feels like 1 step forwards, 2 steps back.

Is it not quite a good idea to have an England match at the stadium at which you can then promote the non-England match?
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#42 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,716 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:05 AM

Is it not quite a good idea to have an England match at the stadium at which you can then promote the non-England match?

Good theory. Not sure I agree though, think fans will just pick and choose rather than attend both personally.

Would have been nice to see a non-host take it like South Yorkshire (who have been ignored this WC).
Posted Image

#43 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,300 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:31 AM

Maybe that's the approach, in reality, they will probably end up with 7k for England and 5k for Sctoland.

I hope I'm wrong.

#44 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,957 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:56 AM

Good theory. Not sure I agree though, think fans will just pick and choose rather than attend both personally.

Would have been nice to see a non-host take it like South Yorkshire (who have been ignored this WC).

Maybe that's the approach, in reality, they will probably end up with 7k for England and 5k for Sctoland.

I hope I'm wrong.

Scotland v USA can't be the easiest game to sell and Salford not the easiest ground to sell to neutrals. Maybe a voucher for a deal for anybody who goes to the England match?
- Severus, July 2012

#45 colin84hunter

colin84hunter
  • Players
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

They will do a deal, buy the England warm up game and get the Scotland game half price, the venues in the WC that have two fixtures are doing something like this

#46 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

I cannot agree cedars should have been there, Italy has a lot of potential they have around 30 clubs playing game.

#47 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:41 AM

If England play a full strength team and put in 100% effort (unlikely) then they should beat the Italians fairly comfortably. However, it won't be a complete walk over and thus I think it should serve as better preparation than playing anyone other than Aus, NZ, France and maybe Samoa or Tonga. Add in the fact that it's the first match between these two conuntries and I have to say that I'm fully behind this fixture.

#48 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 589 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

Considering they did deals around the Exiles match for both the Opener and the England v Ireland clash, I'm sure they'll try and do some incentive to encourage those who go to England v Italy to turn either at Salford again or at some other match. Honestly I think they should pretty much sell the England v Italy tickets as 2 game tickets including Scotland v USA anyway.

It would be great for the tournament if games like Scotland v USA are played in front of near full stadiums, and honestly in my opinion a little bit of subsidizing to get people out to some of the harder sells is not a bad thing.

Posted Image

#49 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:19 PM

What's the parking like at Salford.

Edited by deluded pom?, 04 July 2013 - 04:20 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#50 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,485 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:30 PM

I was quite excited by the news of this game.

Then I read this thread. :(

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#51 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

I was quite excited by the news of this game.

Then I read this thread. :(

Chin up John. Don't let them dampen your enthusiasm for the fixture.

Be great for England to play someone different.

#52 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,786 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:11 PM

Should have been played where most UK based Italians live FFS

#53 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

Should have been played where most UK based Italians live FFS

Bedford? Peterborough?

#54 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,957 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:50 PM

Bedford? Peterborough?

London then Manchester according to wiki.

So it was either the Stoop or Salford.

Stupid RFL.

- Severus, July 2012

#55 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 391 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:51 PM

London then Manchester according to wiki.

So it was either the Stoop or Salford.

Stupid RFL.

By Lobby's logic every international should be played in London.

#56 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,957 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:53 PM

By Lobby's logic every international should be played in London.

Under the 5m rule.

- Severus, July 2012

#57 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:00 PM

Isn't this game primarily to give England a run out before the serious stuff starts? Not sure why people are bothered about the attendance, or stacking it up to suit Italy.

It'll give England a run out of the week build up to a match, then getting from the base to the match and back. Try to make it as real as possible to the RLWC2013 experience.

#58 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

italy are gonna have a decent team for the world cup....this is a potential banana skin for england especially if they don't take italy seriously..

should be a good game

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#59 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,187 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:31 PM

italy are gonna have a decent team for the world cup....this is a potential banana skin for england especially if they don't take italy seriously..

should be a good game

We'll be in big trouble if we don't take Italy seriously. If England aren't "in the zone" by then, it's gonna be a long World Cup!

#60 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,568 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

Always like seeing new nations, think its a good idea for a warm up. You could argue that it should be played outside the country so as not to detract from WC, but main thing is we have a game ahead of the opener. Good on the RFL!
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users