England to play Italy in historic first international

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#61 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

Has anybody actually considered that the BBC has offered to broadcast a warm-up game if it was played locally to Media City? It is not a co-incidence that the Autumn final in 2012 was also at Salford. This is not a game the BBC has to cover.

So let's baulk at the RFL getting the England side (and pundits) onto national television a week before the biggest competition here in over a decade. Two hours of free publicity for the World Cup! :sclerosis: Rugby League fans would find an excuse to avoid attending anything.

Edited by Scubby, 04 July 2013 - 10:14 PM.

#62 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,398 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:16 PM

Yes, my original post was pretty negative, and whilst I don't think the venue is the right one, it is at least a great step forward that we are playing a 'new' team finally. 

I'm not sure this game on the BBC would be the best build up - a low-key friendly with unlimited subs, but it may be an interesting one for Premier.

#63 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:50 PM

I cannot agree cedars should have been there, Italy has a lot of potential they have around 30 clubs playing game.

Don't believe the hype. Italy's foundations are nowhere near 30 clubs strong. Lebanon however has a burgeoning Club, Junior and University scene that makes Italy look pale in comparison

#64 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,599 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:58 PM

yet they are playing in the world cup and lebanon are'nt......oh well

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#65 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

yet they are playing in the world cup and lebanon are'nt......oh well

Good work pointing out the obvious.

I was just correcting someone who has the wrong idea on Italy's domestic scene

#66 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:43 AM

Is the BBC actually showing this match? I keep reading people mentioning this, but there was no reference to it in the press release.

#67 winnyason

winnyason
  • Coach
  • 384 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

Both leagues peanut if you really think Lebanon is going to take off your in another world Italy have some interest in game Lebanon is very minor.

#68 brooza

brooza
  • 4,301 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:58 AM

EDIT: Ignore that

Edited by brooza, 05 July 2013 - 10:00 AM.

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#69 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:45 PM

a low-key friendly with unlimited subs, but it may be an interesting one for Premier.

The unlimited subs bit puts me off big style. I understand why both teams want to give their squads a run out but I don't attend pre season club games for the same reason, they are just glorified training runs. Ah well, England might play Italy in a full blown international one day.

Edited by deluded pom?, 05 July 2013 - 05:46 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#70 THE RED ROOSTER

THE RED ROOSTER
  • Coach
  • 2,261 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:41 AM

Any news on the kick off time for this game ?

I will be coming up to Barton for this but would like to know if it's a day -trip or overnight stay required which depends on the kick off time.

I am an oil trader and successful at that but, but marketing, finance, business management, human resources etc are not my strengths

David Hughes to Ian Lenagan Page 134 - A Pastel Revolution - Fletcher and Gordas - 2006

Being an outsider, it is easiest to see what is wrong with the sport. It's a fantastic sport that has been undersold and under-marketed  because people who run it probably want to keep it the way it is

Dr Marwan Koukash to Joanthan Lieu. Sunday Telegraph 9th March 2014

#71 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 11:53 AM

Any news on the kick off time for this game ?
I will be coming up to Barton for this but would like to know if it's a day -trip or overnight stay required which depends on the kick off time.

Will be an afternoon kick-off I expect, as the key World Cup matches for England are in the afternoon too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users