Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Jim Morrison

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

RIP Jim Morrison - gone 42 years ago today. The greatest showman of all time.

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

Some of the Doors' songs were okay, but I was never exactly enthralled by Jim's 'Lizard King' act.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,426 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

Sensational live. He really had a mesmeric stage presence.

Probably the best set I've ever seen.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#4 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:06 PM

Sensational live. He really had a mesmeric stage presence.

Probably the best set I've ever seen.

Where did you see them live?

#5 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,426 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

Isle of Wight 1970.

#6 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:09 PM

Was watching them on Sky Arts the other night. Great band and also an excellent singer. It's impossible to ignore Ray Manzareks input either.
Love em

#7 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 41,487 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:03 PM

Some of the Doors' songs were okay, but I was never exactly enthralled by Jim's 'Lizard King' act.

Same here
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#8 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:23 PM

People always to the Doors as overrated. Me? I believe they are vastly underrated. Forget all the theathrics at the from the band released some great albums with Morrison Hotel for me being the weakest. Love Her Madly, infact all of LA Woman is superb and some say he sang half of it on the pot!

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#9 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

Isle of Wight 1970.

God, I was born in the wrong era. The doors, Jimi Hendrix and the Who all at the same festival, how good was the one of my favourite songs "the end"?

#10 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 06:47 PM

God, I was born in the wrong era. The doors, Jimi Hendrix and the Who all at the same festival, how good was the one of my favourite songs "the end"?

It was their opening song wasn't it.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,102 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 07:08 PM

Just played LA Woman actually, it's brilliant. Used to go down this dodgy nightclub in Bradford and insist they play this (the whole thing of course) and we would 'dance' all the way through.
Now them *were* the days!

#12 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

People always to the Doors as overrated. Me? I believe they are vastly underrated. Forget all the theathrics at the from the band released some great albums with Morrison Hotel for me being the weakest. Love Her Madly, infact all of LA Woman is superb and some say he sang half of it on the pot!

Can't agree with you about Morrison hotel as it has two of my favourite songs on it, Roadhouse blues and peace frog but If there has to be a weakest doors album it has to be The soft parade. But i agree with you about L.A. Woman being superb, I would say it just beats The doors as the best album for me.

#13 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

Can't agree with you about Morrison hotel as it has two of my favourite songs on it, Roadhouse blues and peace frog but If there has to be a weakest doors album it has to be The soft parade. But i agree with you about L.A. Woman being superb, I would say it just beats The doors as the best album for me.

Love the cheesyness and bizarreness of Soft Parade!

#14 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

Love the cheesyness and bizarreness of Soft Parade!

Apparently Jimbo was hitting the bottle big time and had less influence on the album.

#15 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,426 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:33 AM

I think LA Woman is their seminal album.

As for individual songs at the Isle of Wight, I vcan't remember them too much to be honest. I didn't know that much about them prior to hearing their set (I was only 16 and had only heard their first album), but I was knocked out by their performance. Everybody was.

They were on the same night as a sensational set by the Who. There was a huge speaker system at the back of the stage and two huge columns in front of it that were used for the whole festival. I would guess that 66% of those speakers were stamped "The Who".

Hendrix was a major disappointment; I'm pretty sure he didn't get an encore. The music biz has tried to dress up that performance over the years but even hardened fans admit that he was past it. The drugs had taken their toll and his edge had disappeared ... just like Clapton's did.

We had to leave early to catch the ferry, so I missed Joan Baez and Leonard Coen ... I've still never seen them.

There were top notch rock sets from Taste, Free, ELP, Ten Years After and Family.

Folkie-wise, John Sebastian (what ever happened to him) was brilliant; Donovan and and Joni Mitchell were pleasant but Kris Kristofferson got booed off.

Edited by Wolford6, 04 July 2013 - 09:37 AM.

#16 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,167 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:14 AM

As for individual songs at the Isle of Wight, I vcan't remember them too much to be honest. I didn't know that much about them prior to hearing their set (I was only 16 and had only heard their first album), but I was knocked out by their performance. Everybody was.

They were on the same night as a sensational set by the Who. There was a huge speaker system at the back of the stage and two huge columns in front of it that were used for the whole festival. I would guess that 66% of those speakers were stamped "The Who".

Hendrix was a major disappointment; I'm pretty sure he didn't get an encore. The music biz has tried to dress up that performance over the years but even hardened fans admit that he was past it. The drugs had taken their toll and his edge had disappeared ... just like Clapton's did.

We had to leave early to catch the ferry, so I missed Joan Baez and Leonard Coen ... I've still never seen them.

There were top notch rock sets from Taste, Free, ELP, Ten Years After and Family.
Folkie-wise, John Sebastian (what ever happened to him) was brilliant; Donovan and and Joni Mitchell were pleasant but Kris Kristofferson got booed off.

Had a BBC Cassette (I think) of Hendrix at the IOW. I loved it crystal clear sound and only one bad song on it. However....... it appears it was remastered out of it's skin plus was just about the highlights of the concert. Watched the concert on Sky Arts and despite being a masiive Hendrix fan, for that concert I'd prefer to listen to it rather than watch it. Pants. One of the best bits of that concert is the MC's introduction!

Hendrix at Winterland is worth a listen if only for his version of Sunshine of Your Love.

#17 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

For me Eric Clapton was never as successful after Cream split up, I have all their albums and they push the doors very close as to being my favourite band. Clapton in "crossroads" and "steppin out" is just amazing.

#18 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,764 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:57 AM

Folkie-wise, John Sebastian (what ever happened to him) was brilliant

Still gigging, and looking pretty decent for his age. The Lovin' Spoonful had some great songs. On the downside, he also composed the theme tune for the 'Care Bears' TV show and films.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)