TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Warrington Make £344,000 Profit in 2012

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Philm

Philm
  • Coach
  • 45 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

This is really good to see both for both Warrington and  Rugby League in general.  Hopefully this will be widely publicised in the media.  Presumably an element in the profit was the money generated by the trip to Wembley but I don't think a Wembley trip is as profitable ie in gate receipts has it was a few years ago.

#22 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

The Oz Clubs do not all lose money though Spud.
Only the Broncos open their book up for scrutiny and that is because they are obliged to by law as a Company, they also benefit from being a one team Club in a pretty decent sized City so they get the Sponsors and high Crowds etc.
Most of the other Leagues Clubs tick over in one form or another, they are propped up by massive Licensed leagues clubs that have Gambling as their major source of revenue "Pokies"
These Clubs are an integral part of the League team and were developed to support that team and fund them.
Without the League team these Leagues Clubs would not exist, they are the commercial licensed arm of the team.
Many Leagues Clubs turnover big money, what the give as a grant to the NRL Club has lots to do with Tax law etc.
Have a look at this Link.
http://www.easg.org/...ate_Roberts.pdf

no andy.....NRL CLUBS DO LOSE MILLIONS EVERY YEAR.....

im on my phone so i can provide the links...but a CoO of a sydney NRL club stated last season that each & every sydney club starts the season knowing they are going to lose anywhere between $2-5 million that year......melbourne reportedly lose upto $10m a year....the titans & cronulla combinded debt was eye watering ,until they bailed out property investors,not the leagues clubs i might add...newcastle where also in the ###### over a unpaid tax bill of nigh on $2million iirc

people where shocked that super league clubs are £60m+ in debt.......NRL clubs lose that every year..yet fans still use the league clubs or the billion dollar tv deal as a bucket of sand inwhich to bury their heads.....as much as it pains me to say i reckon we'll see a couple or 3 NRL clubs go pop within 5 years..

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#23 Rob

Rob
  • Coach
  • 516 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

That article is 5 years old

Gold star for Goldcoaster.

#24 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

no andy.....NRL CLUBS DO LOSE MILLIONS EVERY YEAR.....

im on my phone so i can provide the links...but a CoO of a sydney NRL club stated last season that each & every sydney club starts the season knowing they are going to lose anywhere between $2-5 million that year......melbourne reportedly lose upto $10m a year....the titans & cronulla combinded debt was eye watering ,until they bailed out property investors,not the leagues clubs i might add...newcastle where also in the ###### over a unpaid tax bill of nigh on $2million iirc

people where shocked that super league clubs are £60m+ in debt.......NRL clubs lose that every year..yet fans still use the league clubs or the billion dollar tv deal as a bucket of sand inwhich to bury their heads.....as much as it pains me to say i reckon we'll see a couple or 3 NRL clubs go pop within 5 years..

That is not correct in general Spud.

The Titans do not have a Leagues Club to support them and Newcastle have a different set up to most Clubs regarding Leagues Club backing, they have a wealthy local benefactor ( a bit like some SL Clubs)

Cronulla have been a basket case for years, should have been merged, wound up a long time ago as they do not have the base to support themselves.

Who are the NRL Clubs in debt to? if they lose money every year why are they not insolvent and bust years ago?

The Clubs do not make money as stand alone entities through ticket,  merchandise and sponsorship sales, but they get income from the NRL and Leagues Clubs that keep them afloat.

The Rugby League Clubs as stand alone entities will never make money but they are an arm of a bigger organisation.

From the link I posted above..

Panthers Group Annual Report 2009
The Panthers Group has:
14 entertainment venues across NSW
142,284 members state wide
614 post codes in NSW had at least one Panther member as a resident
1,016 employees
315,756,000 in total assets
189,624,000 in net assets
“We have grown the value of our net assets by more than $100 million and seen a 100 per cent growth in Panthers
Club membership”(Barry Walsh, Chairman, Panther Group)

The business arm of the Penrith Panthers makes a few bob.

Edited by AndyCapp, 04 July 2013 - 02:10 PM.

#25 South Wakefield Sharks

South Wakefield Sharks
  • Coach
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

Not so much unexpected, but we paid it early to bring down the amount down a little and put an end to it.

It's quite a profit considering we pay way above the salary cap and provide a generous pension to Super League's very own Dad's Army. Not to mention the costs of the stadium upgrade.

:biggrin:

#26 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

It's quite a profit considering we pay way above the salary cap and provide a generous pension to Super League's very own Dad's Army. Not to mention the costs of the stadium upgrade.

Let's not forget we employ every WAG in the club shop for £100k a year and we pay agents huge inducements to let us tap up their clients.

All I can say it's certainly not down to us having a multi-millionaire successful businessman helm who knows how to run a business well on the resources allowed. That's a ridiculous idea. If Dr Koulash toes that tactic he's bound to fail.

#27 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 659 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:15 PM

Stupid iPhone double posted. In short this is exactly why commercially astute owners need to be encouraged.

Edited by SE4Wire, 04 July 2013 - 08:18 PM.

#28 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,912 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:49 AM

Shows that it can be done, eh ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#29 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

I would expect the results next year to continue to be strong as a number of commercial contracts are expiring 10 years after the stadium opened and should be renegotiated favourably (i.e. stadium catering and sponsorship deals).

Interestingly (or not) - new catering deals have been announced in the last fortnight. Pretty major amounts of money as well, surprised me that the catering deal appears to be worth £1.2m per year alone, not including the Carlsberg deal which does not have a value mentioned.

http://www.sportspro...r_partnerships/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users