• Coach
  • 20,617 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

Royal Scots Grey by any chance?

#22 High Peak Rhino

High Peak Rhino
  • 3,268 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

Economic is relative ... 35 A4s and 51 A3s were replaced by 22 Deltics. Now, they were economical.

Ah but with your username you are biased ;-)

#23 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

Economic is relative ... 35 A4s and 51 A3s were replaced by 22 Deltics. Now, they were economical.

Awesome machines

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#24 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

Royal Scots Grey by any chance?

The very same. I have a picture I took of it flying through Greenfield station at several mph. Happy days.

#25 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:17 PM

Ah but with your username you are biased ;-)

Guilty as charged. I used to bunk out of work to ride behind them in their last days. Got sacked in consequence. Totally worth it. (It was a rotten job, anyway).

#26 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,067 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:32 PM

But not the most reliable. My uncle used to service them, very complex and when the went wrong, they went wrong in a BIG way. I remember him telling me it wasn't too uncommon for them to throw a con rod. Thing is with the opposed triple V deltic engine when they threw a con rod it could sometimes shoot right out through the side of the engine, ripping a hole like tearing paper. :O

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#27 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

But not the most reliable. My uncle used to service them, very complex and when the went wrong, they went wrong in a BIG way. I remember him telling me it wasn't too uncommon for them to throw a con rod. Thing is with the opposed triple V deltic engine when they threw a con rod it could sometimes shoot right out through the side of the engine, ripping a hole like tearing paper. :O

I was hoping nobody would mention that ... still, they didn't break all that often, compared to the Modernisation Plan dross. Funnily enough, I liked Deltics better when they weren't properly maintained: all the preserved ones today are very shiny, but the engines are too clean, too well-maintained ... don't hardly make no noise at all!

#28 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,253 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

I was hoping nobody would mention that ... still, they didn't break all that often, compared to the Modernisation Plan dross. Funnily enough, I liked Deltics better when they weren't properly maintained: all the preserved ones today are very shiny, but the engines are too clean, too well-maintained ... don't hardly make no noise at all!

apart from the class 47, 37, 20 and 31 and 08 all of BR's diesels were a waste of money

but to be fair Gresley's locomotives had similar problems includin g Mallard on her record breaking run

it wasn't until the 1950s that maintenance was precise enough to in build reliability into them-this was arguably their heyday.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#29 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

I reckon the best value diesels ever are the Class 43 HSTs. Not popular with the fans, I know, but then railways aren't like RL; fans are the least important people. (OK, maybe they are a bit like RL ...)

#30 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,253 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 05:28 PM

I reckon the best value diesels ever are the Class 43 HSTs. Not popular with the fans, I know, but then railways aren't like RL; fans are the least important people. (OK, maybe they are a bit like RL ...)

couldn't agree more. I dfidn't count them as being locomotives

still got plenty of go in them after all these years and a wide route availability

Keeping it local

#31 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

no they were used by Oliver Bulleid on the Southern Railway, and I think by Riddles experimentally on some 9f standard locos.

The demands and needs, as well as the coal on US railways were different to UK railways.

massive slowreally  long distance freight trains pulled by hugesimple  locomotives using poor quality powdered coal over largely open country lent themselves to mechanical stokers.

uk railways for the most part used high quality coal thermal efficiency was more crucial meaning that firing a steam locomtive required a great deal of technique. It wasn't/isn't merely a case of chucking coal through a hole.

When Bulleid used mechanical stokers the locos became less steam efficient, and the locos constantly threw out a thick pall of black smoke, which was unacceptable even before the cdlean air act, especially in enclosed railway stations and depots. The experiment was abandoned by both Belleid and Riddles.

on uk railways

I remember my dad telling me about serving his time as a fireman. He reckoned that on a gradient they would often burn coal faster than you could shovel it in.

The driver wasn't always sympathetic.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#32 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,253 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:41 PM

I remember my dad telling me about serving his time as a fireman. He reckoned that on a gradient they would often burn coal faster than you could shovel it in.

The driver wasn't always sympathetic.

ha!

Keeping it local

#33 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...kshire-23158389

My Mrs dad Derick Birch & uncle Ron Birch both drove the Mallard (Only found out today)

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#34 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,570 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

ha!

I'd have backed him against a mechanised stoker any day of the week.  ;) 

#35 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,680 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:12 AM

I have a friend who was a stoker. His brother was the driver and they always worked as a team.  When British Railways switched to diesel engines, he wopuld have loved to have become a driver but the drivers' union was against upgrading "labourers".

BR re-trained him as a wagon driver.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#36 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,253 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:34 AM

I have a friend who was a stoker. His brother was the driver and they always worked as a team.  When British Railways switched to diesel engines, he wopuld have loved to have become a driver but the drivers' union was against upgrading "labourers".

BR re-trained him as a wagon driver.

firemen weren't 'stokers'. They had a wide range of duties

Keeping it local

#37 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,575 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

A few weeks ago, I was waiting at a station, when a Deltic passed through that you'd like. Looked and sounded rough as a badger's bum. :D

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#38 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,067 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:21 AM

A few weeks ago, I was waiting at a station, when a Deltic passed through that you'd like. Looked and sounded rough as a badger's bum. :D

Are you suer it was a Deltic, I thought all of those that survive were in preservation. There are still some similar looking (to the untrained eye ;) ) engines around on the network such as the class 37s, 45s on freight haulage.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#39 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,575 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:29 AM

Are you suer it was a Deltic, I thought all of those that survive were in preservation. There are still some similar looking (to the untrained eye ;) ) engines around on the network such as the class 37s, 45s on freight haulage.

Might not have been, as I'm no expert, but it was that shape. It was pulling a single small (maintenance?) carriage which was in just as scruffy a condition. Very loud, it was, and going like the clappers.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#40 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

Might not have been, as I'm no expert, but it was that shape. It was pulling a single small (maintenance?) carriage which was in just as scruffy a condition. Very loud, it was, and going like the clappers.

it's possible. Some preserved Deltics do have a mainline ticket: D9009 Alycidon had a trip to Penzance the other week, e.g. So it could well have been one of those going somewhere with its support coach. Although as I say, preserved Deltics are all very shiny.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users