TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

The Mallard

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,614 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

I have a friend who was a stoker. His brother was the driver and they always worked as a team.  When British Railways switched to diesel engines, he wopuld have loved to have become a driver but the drivers' union was against upgrading "labourers".

BR re-trained him as a wagon driver.

That sounds a little odd to me. The vast majority of drivers and firemen were in the same union, ASLEF. Why would the union want to block the promotion of its own members? The natural progression was from fireman to driver, which was the route my dad took after starting on the railways at 14 as a 'lad porter' (that was his official job title) on Driffield station.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#42 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,836 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:25 PM

I'm only repeating what he told me. Perhaps, there were fewer drivers needed on the change from steam to diesel.

He started off driving one of these.

pch-1960-scammell-scarab-lorry-br.jpg

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#43 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 6,148 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

I'm only repeating what he told me. Perhaps, there were fewer drivers needed on the change from steam to diesel.

I remember them, there was a depot up the road from where I lived in Chorley.

I must be old. :( 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#44 D9000

D9000
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

Artic-lorry? Them things were called 'mechanical horses' when I were a lad. And yes, we are old.

#45 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,640 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:13 PM

Artic-lorry? Them things were called 'mechanical horses' when I were a lad. And yes, we are old.

they really were that as well

the point being thast horses were more manoueverable than vans and they needed something to get where horses could get. Just about every station had at least one.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#46 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,403 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

Only the British could design and build such a superb loco..

.and have the coal shovelled in by hand as Mallard races along at over 100 mph when it would have been quite simple to have a mechanical system to do it. If there's a hard way to do something, we'll find it!!

It's true that Mallard and her sisters were a superby British design. It's also true that Gresley (the designer) was very heavily influenced by Chapeleon the French designer. The locomotives were basically mofified A3 class machines (Flying Scotsman)  These were originally introuduced by the GN Railway in 1921 as A1 class.  When the first of these "Great Northern" was exhibted at the Wembley exhibition alongside a GWR King class the GWR were claiming their loco was more powerful.  Gresley arranged to borrow one - and yes they were more powerful.  He modified the A1's with larger boilers and better steam passages.  These modified A1's became class A3 - and subseqent design modifications resulted in the A4 - of which Mallard, Union of South Africa, Dominion of Canada, Dwight D Eisenhower, Bittern, and Sir Nigel Gresley are the surviving examples. IMO the steamlined shape owed more to the LNER's marketing dept than to any engineering necessity.  They can all currently  be seen at the NRM.

As for the Princess Coronation locomotives of the LMS, they were more powerful than the A4, but unfortunately the LMS lacked the long downhill straights that can be found on the East Coast Main Line.  One of these held the record of 114 MPH, but this was achieved on the downhill stretch to Crewe station.  The train was still doing 70mph when it hit the curves outside the station. Apparently much of the crockery in the dining car was smashed, fortunately that was the sum of the damage.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#47 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,403 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:04 AM

I saw one last week at a forties fair at Heywood.

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#48 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,614 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

I thought I was but I don't remember them.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users