Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

British Lions fans watching State Of Origin

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 statties

statties
  • Coach
  • 278 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:34 PM

Considering that for the first time in twelve years or ever, the tens of thousands British (and predominantly southerners I guess) traveling to watch the lions have seen RU media attention dwarfed by RL.

SOO is inescapable right now in NSW and QLD. Undoubtably many of these fans were watching games 1 and 2 and possibly around to watch the third.

If we do consider there are a few southerners amongst them, what would you do to market the Broncos to supporters that may well have gained a new found respect for RL?

Would it make a difference if they keep getting belted by cricket scores?

#2 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 973 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

Problem is the Broncos through poor management devalues the sport down south, the club needs taking over and run like a robust, progressive sporting entity.
And you can't do that on a shoestring as is the case currently. The average sports fan is not stupid and can smell an inferior version of RL, hence the attendances.

#3 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 783 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

Considering that for the first time in twelve years or ever, the tens of thousands British (and predominantly southerners I guess) traveling to watch the lions have seen RU media attention dwarfed by RL.

SOO is inescapable right now in NSW and QLD. Undoubtably many of these fans were watching games 1 and 2 and possibly around to watch the third.

If we do consider there are a few southerners amongst them, what would you do to market the Broncos to supporters that may well have gained a new found respect for RL?

Would it make a difference if they keep getting belted by cricket scores?

Great post. Great question.

Obviously, a winning team will always attract a bigger crowd. That said, I think London's marketing towards an area of saturated chimney pots is really poor.

They should be charging minimum pricing for kids to get them in and sow seeds for the future. Well priced family tickets also have to be looked at.

I've lived in the "South" for 30 years and I know that more people would go & watch London if it was marketed better. There are also lots of Northeners down here who would go as a neutral to see a game.

People I know who favour the onion code would happily pay to watch league but it's got to be marketed effectively.

Even the locations they have played in do not help. North London would make it much more accessible. London v Cas on Friday night 2 seasons ago was a nightmare to get in & out of.

It's still an opportunity that is not being taken....

#4 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,533 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

Problem is the Broncos through poor management devalues the sport down south, the club needs taking over and run like a robust, progressive sporting entity.
And you can't do that on a shoestring as is the case currently. The average sports fan is not stupid and can smell an inferior version of RL, hence the attendances.

This. All day long. Unfortunately.

#5 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,797 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

They could be ran by the best management in the world and it will still not improve much in Twickenham.

What is needed is to move to a better part of town where RU is minimal. The club also needs a shedload of cash invested and managed properly. The current guy in charge is merely keeping the Broncos afloat and that is not good enough.

#6 Railway End

Railway End
  • Coach
  • 542 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:31 PM

They could be ran by the best management in the world and it will still not improve much in Twickenham.

What is needed is to move to a better part of town where RU is minimal. The club also needs a shedload of cash invested and managed properly. The current guy in charge is merely keeping the Broncos afloat and that is not good enough.

Hughes is doing more than keeping them afloat, he is providing funding for them to spend up to the salary cap limit, unlike other clubs in SL.

Serious questions need asking about player and coach recruitment.

"Rugby League is rugby in the simplest form in the sense that it's about great defence, great tackling technique, good handling, good passing, catching and great kicking."

Stuart Lancaster - England Rugby Union Head Coach - October 2013

#7 Hodgo

Hodgo
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:03 PM

Have London ever played up the North/South divide aspect in their marketing / communications? I've always thought a 'sticking it to the Northerners' type position might spark some interest. Obviously not the right timing when you're getting stuffed most weeks, but with increasing numbers of 'home grown' players coming through, if they can get the balance right / improve performances, it might be an impactful option?

#8 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

They probably haven't as they'll be in a little bubble of Lions fans.  I doubt many of them are paying much attention to anything but their rugby and the bars. 

And nor do I blame them!  Trip of a lifetime if you ask me.

That's me.  I'm done.

#9 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 657 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:06 PM

Might not work with a significant Northerner in exile supporting contingent .

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,396 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

Have London ever played up the North/South divide aspect in their marketing / communications? I've always thought a 'sticking it to the Northerners' type position might spark some interest. Obviously not the right timing when you're getting stuffed most weeks, but with increasing numbers of 'home grown' players coming through, if they can get the balance right / improve performances, it might be an impactful option?

They had a "giving the Northerners a thumping" angle on the signing of Mark Carroll, I think. However, Spud rather underwhelmed as a player and as a tough guy, despite his big reputation Down Under.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users