Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

05/07/13 - Warrington Wolves v Leeds Rhinos - KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Warrington Wolves (14 votes [93.33%])

Percentage of vote: 93.33%

2. Leeds Rhinos (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#101 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

Leeds should be ashamed with how they've played tonight. That last set was amateur to let Warrington drive down 100 m.

This was possibly the worst Warrington performance I have seen in a few years. Leeds blew it, fair and simple.

That's got to be a trolling post surely

#102 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 655 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

Should have been voluntary tackle on the last play, and Leeds penalty. Warrington player threw himself onto the floor and just lay there.

Didn't Cummings say something the other week about that being removed and surrender used instead?

EDIT: It's still in the laws

Edited by SE4Wire, 05 July 2013 - 08:55 PM.

#103 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 703 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:55 PM

Both Warrington and Wigan scrape wins despite playing badly. That's the worst I have seen the Wolves play for ages and yet we get the two points. Leeds deserved something for their speedy defence on the first two drop goal attempts.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#104 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 936 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:57 PM

That doesn't bother me. I'm annoyed at how Leeds played tonight. They were average from start to finish. Warrington were worse but managed to win. All in all, it wasn't a very good game of RL.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#105 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,412 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

The 2nd half got better, tbf..... less errors than the 1st half and an exciting finish to the game

#106 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:00 PM

That doesn't bother me. I'm annoyed at how Leeds played tonight. They were average from start to finish. Warrington were worse but managed to win. All in all, it wasn't a very good game of RL.

You sir, are a misery.

#107 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 936 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:01 PM

That's got to be a trolling post surely

What? I never troll.

Anyone who can kid themselves that it was a good game of Rugby League and that Leeds did all they could is really not looking at this game properly.

To let a team march up field from a set start like that is awful play. I don't care how many we had out. We had 13 on the field. They can all tackle. Wire shouldn't have got over the halfway line.

#108 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 936 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

You sir, are a misery.

Why, because I'm not a one eyed Leeds fan?

#109 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

I thought it was entertaining. Briers always seems to find a way. It's a weird time of the season with the Cup looming large. On the one hand Wire have won tonight and a couple of weeks ago but Leeds ought to go away hugely encouraged that they'd beat them with a full side out.
Good of them to give us Wigan's winning try as a treat.

#110 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:05 PM

What? I never troll.

Anyone who can kid themselves that it was a good game of Rugby League and that Leeds did all they could is really not looking at this game properly.

To let a team march up field from a set start like that is awful play. I don't care how many we had out. We had 13 on the field. They can all tackle. Wire shouldn't have got over the halfway line.

Good is subjective, I enjoyed it so it was good to me, not a technically brilliant game but an entertaining one.

You are criticising a team that was short on troops had done most of the defence during the game.

You carry on looking for all the negatives if that's what floats your boat.

#111 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:12 PM

Happy with the win, but the quality was very poor.
Wire's handling was appalling, we missed Myler and Monaghan massively.
Those calling Westwood apenalty machine - how many did he give? Also he was very prepared to rough it up with the Aussies at Wemvley 2 years back.

#112 Aldo1980

Aldo1980
  • Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:14 PM

on the plus side....in his extra time interview Tony Smith is actually looking at Eddie Hemmings now and again...

"I don't want to insult the Australians (but) I am like, 'These guys are some damn idiots'. Nobody plays football without pads every week for three, four or five months and don't make any money. At least in the NFL, you are going to kill yourself and . . . you get to be a millionaire after it's over."
NBA legend Charles Barkley

#113 Aldo1980

Aldo1980
  • Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:16 PM

Those calling Westwood apenalty machine - how many did he give? Also he was very prepared to rough it up with the Aussies at Wemvley 2 years back.

Agreed. Thought he got away with one in the very first tackle...but also copped a couple of high shots himself, not to mention a couple of grapple tackles. But i thought he was superb in driving the ball in and winning the collision (cliche alert)

"I don't want to insult the Australians (but) I am like, 'These guys are some damn idiots'. Nobody plays football without pads every week for three, four or five months and don't make any money. At least in the NFL, you are going to kill yourself and . . . you get to be a millionaire after it's over."

#114 SE4Wire

SE4Wire
  • Coach
  • 655 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

According to Phil Clarke, he thinks Leeds got the moral victory there by coming close.  I'm sure that'll be great consolation...

#115 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,374 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

This is one of the worst games of Rugby League I've seen in many a season

Bit scruffy but it was a better game than both of last weekend's on Sky.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#116 Aldo1980

Aldo1980
  • Coach
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

According to Phil Clarke, he thinks Leeds got the moral victory there by coming close.  I'm sure that'll be great consolation...

Tonight's gospel according to Phil:

When Leeds are on the backfoot and win = sign of champs

Warrington win on the backfoot = defeated in moral victory

Edited by Aldo1980, 05 July 2013 - 09:23 PM.

#117 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 936 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:24 PM

To me, I can't enjoy a game as poor as tonight's was. Entertainment isn't watching as many errors as we saw and slack defence that allows a team to drive up field and score a drop goal from a set start.

#118 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

To me, I can't enjoy a game as poor as tonight's was. Entertainment isn't watching as many errors as we saw and slack defence that allows a team to drive up field and score a drop goal from a set start.

or perhaps they were simply knackered.

#119 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 936 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:33 PM

or perhaps they were simply knackered.

They thought their job was done by kicking dead. They switched off at a vital time and it cost them. In the set previously the line was still moving up quick. In that last set they let Warrington come at them and suffered the consequences.

The marker defence was also poor all night and defensively up the middle they looked weak. Had Wire been able to complete their sets it would have been an easy win. As it turned out though they couldn't and it made Leeds' defence look better than it actually was.

#120 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,302 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

I thought the match was high speed but low quality.  Entertaining nonetheless albeit a bit frustrating in the first half with all the knock ons.  I was surprised at how poor Wire's handling was although I do know they can have their moments. 

In truth though Wire won because Hardaker can't kick goals for toffee.  I was surprised after his second miss that Burrow wasn't given kicking duties instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users