Photo
- - - - -

05/07/13 - Warrington Wolves v Leeds Rhinos - KO 8pm (Sky Sports)

• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Warrington Wolves (14 votes [93.33%])

Percentage of vote: 93.33%

2. Leeds Rhinos (1 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

I thought Leeds deserved a draw as they scored more tries and they had the better attack. A Wire win wasn't an injustice though. It was entertaining stuff.
The Giants ought to be pretty confident about next week on that basis.

#122 Harrigan

Harrigan
  • Coach
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

I thought the match was high speed but low quality. Entertaining nonetheless albeit a bit frustrating in the first half with all the knock ons. I was surprised at how poor Wire's handling was although I do know they can have their moments.

In truth though Wire won because Hardaker can't kick goals for toffee. I was surprised after his second miss that Burrow wasn't given kicking duties instead.

He's been kicking at about 70% before tonight.

I don't blame Hardaker, I blame the team switching off at the most vital time, thinking they had the draw in the bag.

rhinosbulldogs_zps04cf7e0a.jpg

#123 archibald

archibald
  • Coach
  • 646 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:08 PM

Shocking handling at times by Wire, not helped by passes thrown a foot off the mark. Still, a wins a win.

Thought we had the measure of Leeds up front but just couldn't break them down. Their defence was excellent at times, as was ours in fairness.

Hall is outstanding, Watkins too.

To win without Myler, Harrison, Monaghan showed real class. Especially after losing Atkins so early, and having to replace him with a patently match unfit Bridge

#124 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,210 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

I blooming well hope Wire are that poor in the cup!

#125 ELBOWSEYE

ELBOWSEYE
  • Coach
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

I would rather have tense games than last weeks game against Bulls, we picked their pockets tonight and found a way to win. his has set up next week nicely with Myler and M Monaghan back it should be another cracker.

#126 Emosi Koloto

Emosi Koloto
  • Coach
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:35 PM

Will Hodgson make the team when Warrington are at full strength ?

i think he is becoming a weak link, when Myler is back it could mean Ratchford to fullback.

Everything under the sun is in tune
But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

#127 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:38 PM

I thought Leeds deserved a draw as they scored more tries and they had the better attack. A Wire win wasn't an injustice though. It was entertaining stuff.
The Giants ought to be pretty confident about next week on that basis.

whilst they did score more tries, its a strange one as they got two interceptiins (1 excellent one).

The quality of attack on show from both teams was poor mainly due to high error count stopping momentum being built.

#128 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,845 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:54 PM

Well, I enjoyed it. I thought Leeds played well and deserved at least a point. Still thought it was encouraging for us that we kept going after fluffing some good chances and snatched it.

Sorry. Should've mentioned it was ###### because a Widnes fan and a Hudds fan thought so.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#129 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:40 AM

Glad of the win, not the best game, but great for the neutrals , fantastic atmosphere AGAIN

Handling mistakes are beginning to worry me, but a win is a win.

Great effort by Leeds, I'm surprised they let us down the pitch so easily to obtain field position for the DG.

Looking forward to Huddersfield next Sunday

#130 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,731 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:42 AM

Sorry. Should've mentioned it was ###### because a Widnes fan and a Hudds fan thought so.

Careful now..........the use of profanity-implying symbols is likely to cause offence 

#131 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

Ridiculous amount of handling errors considering it was so dry, quite unfathomable. I would imagine Leeds feel quite hard done too.

#132 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

Ridiculous amount of handling errors considering it was so dry, quite unfathomable. I would imagine Leeds feel quite hard done too.

how come?
They were gifted two tries and having just watched the last 15 we completely dominated the back end of the game.

#133 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:19 AM

how come?
They were gifted two tries and having just watched the last 15 we completely dominated the back end of the game.

Halls try was hardly gifted to him.

#134 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

how come?

Can't dispute the two tries. But weight of possession and opportunities certainly should have favoured them, I was more than happy to go in at half time at 6-8. I actually think Leeds were a little responsible for their own shortcomings, as it became increasingly obvious the game plan in the second half was to get Watkins on-on-one with Grix. Once Warrington got a grip of that, and the ball, things seemed to move towards Warrington in respect of of field position.

Edited by getdownmonkeyman, 06 July 2013 - 10:35 AM.

#135 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,225 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

140 pics including that last minute kick at http://gcsports.zenfolio.com/

Thanks

#136 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

Halls try was hardly gifted to him.

yes that was harshly described but there is always an element of a bad pass when an intercept is on.

#137 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:55 PM

Can't dispute the two tries. But weight of possession and opportunities certainly should have favoured them, I was more than happy to go in at half time at 6-8. I actually think Leeds were a little responsible for their own shortcomings, as it became increasingly obvious the game plan in the second half was to get Watkins on-on-one with Grix. Once Warrington got a grip of that, and the ball, things seemed to move towards Warrington in respect of of field position.

i think suggesting Leeds were hard done to suggests something untoward happened. I was at the game live and have only watched the last 15 again on tv but in that period they were making 30m per set and finishing in their half whereas we were making 50m per set and finishing in tgeir half.
We got three dg attempts they got none.
Their attack was pretty dire when we gifted them the ball over and over.
Our forwards in the last 15 were brilliant.

#138 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,730 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

Fair point bitofaboogie. Wire were poor but Thaler is the worst ref in the league for allowing Leeds nonesense at the PTB.

im a fan of refs keeping out of the game where they can, but not at the expense of negating any benefit a team gets from getting on a roll.
You cant ignore blatant interference when a team is struggling to control the ruck, it is rewarding negative play and Thaler does have a habit of being stubborn and just saying get on with it.

#139 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

im a fan of refs keeping out of the game where they can, but not at the expense of negating any benefit a team gets from getting on a roll.
You cant ignore blatant interference when a team is struggling to control the ruck, it is rewarding negative play and Thaler does have a habit of being stubborn and just saying get on with it.

Sorry to maintain the ref bashing, but that is one thing Thaler needs to improve on, drastically. You know the PTB is going to messy and slow with him officiating.

#140 christopher

christopher
  • Coach
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

yes that was harshly described but there is always an element of a bad pass when an intercept is on.

Of course but I would say highams try was more gifted to him than halls. The defence for highams try was shocking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users