Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

07/07/13 - Castleford Tigers v St Helens - KO 3.30pm

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

Poll: Who will win? (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. Voted Castleford Tigers (5 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

2. St Helens (8 votes [61.54%])

Percentage of vote: 61.54%

3. Draw (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:40 PM

Discuss Castleford Tigers v St Helens here.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

There is no way we will be able to handle Cas this week unless Brown stops his [swear word] tinkering.

#3 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

While I hope I'm wrong I think motivation might prove to be a key factor here and for that reason I suspect Cas will win.

#4 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 785 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:16 PM

While I hope I'm wrong I think motivation might prove to be a key factor here and for that reason I suspect Cas will win.

Cas are in a little purple patch but never do well up against that red V. Carney is back & is already a cult figure - he could just edge it for us.....

#5 madwire

madwire
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:30 AM

Must win game for saints this.cas on a high but saints to nick it by two points.

#6 snapski

snapski
  • Coach
  • 1,064 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Classy Cas by 8

#7 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,204 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

Cas to shade a tight one between 2 evenly matched teams.

#8 Bomballey

Bomballey
  • Coach
  • 785 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:08 AM

Cas to shade a tight one between 2 evenly matched teams.

Agree. Come on Cas!!

#9 Wollo Wollo Wayoo

Wollo Wollo Wayoo
  • Coach
  • 544 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

Cas by about 40 please. Then Wakefield only need to scrape a win over Widnes on Monday to move up another place.

Edited by Wollo Wollo Wayoo, 06 July 2013 - 01:35 PM.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys" 2013 & 2014

#10 Saint Until I Die

Saint Until I Die
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:09 PM

I think that last weeks performance was a bit of an eye opener to be honest, and I expect a reaction tomorrow. There are several areas in which we need to improve, but the main area for me, and one in which we have struggled all season, is up front. Hull KR were the best team on the day, but they didn't do anything fancy. Their forwards ran in with everyhting they had, and Dobson controlled them on the back of that. On the flip side, our forwards took the ball standing still, and we struggled to find any sort of momentum because of it. The game will be won and lost up front in my opinion, and it's up to the likes of Anthony Laffranchi, Tony Puletua, Alex Walmsley, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook etc.. to lay that platform. If they do that, then the likes of James Roby and Jonny Lomax are capable of causing problems, but we need to win the arm wrestle first and foremost.

Edited by Saint Until I Die, 06 July 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#11 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

I think that last weeks performance was a bit of an eye opener to be honest, and I expect a reaction tomorrow. There are several areas in which we need to improve, but the main area for me, and one in which we have struggled all season, is up front. Hull KR were the best team on the day, but they didn't do anything fancy. Their forwards ran in with everyhting they had, and Dobson controlled them on the back of that. On the flip side, our forwards took the ball standing still, and we struggled to find any sort of momentum because of it. The game will be won and lost up front in my opinion, and it's up to the likes of Anthony Laffranchi, Tony Puletua, Alex Walmsley, Louie McCarthy-Scarsbrook etc.. to lay that platform. If they do that, then the likes of James Roby and Jonny Lomax are capable of causing problems, but we need to win the arm wrestle first and foremost.

It's hard to have much confidence with a front row like that.

Walmsley has been brilliant but the other three... LMS seems to have gone off the boil this year, Puletua isn't at his best when he has to graft, and Laffranchi quite simply doesn't look like a natural prop, I think he'd be better suited to the second row.

Laffranchi will miss this game because he's returned home on compassionate leave, so best wishes to him. Luke Thompson is back in the squad and Greg Richards could make his debut so it'll be interesting to see what sort of impact he can make.

In other Saints related news (though a little off topic) our 2014 Penrith pair both played again today in a big win against Gold Coast.  Luke Walsh was once again excellent, scored a nice try off a great sidestep and kicked and converted well throughout. Masoe on the other hand was pretty poor in comparison to his dominant performance against St George last week. I'm still very happy that he's signed but there's some work to do with him I think.

#12 Saint Until I Die

Saint Until I Die
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:17 PM

The problem is that out of those mentioned, only Walmsley is an 'out and out' prop. We are in this position because we came into the season unprepared, yet again. The only Props we had in the squad going into 2013 were Josh Perry and Alex Walmsley. LMS concedes far to many penalties, and it's no coincidence that his best form has come about when he's played at 13; Paul Clough is an over-sized Second Rower; TP, as you say, is afraid of hard work and again, is a natural Back-Rower. This is what happens when you come into a season expecting second rowers to play in the front row, and although we have had problems at Half-Back, those problems have become more evident due to the go forward situation - or lack of go forward as the case may be. On the back of that, the 3/4 struggle to get into the game, and we have found ourselves in the position we are in because of it. Add in a ridiculous amount of injuries and bizarre team selections, and you are going to be seriously up against it.

Hopefully McManus' words in the week will cause a response; and a much needed one at that. Might sound like a strange thing to say at this stage of the season, but we are rapidly getting to the point where games are turning into must wins. First time in my lifetime that I will be turning up at Castleford hoping for a win rather than expecting one, and with all respect to Cas, that's a sign of the times unfortunately.

#13 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:52 AM

It's hard to have much confidence with a front row like that.

Walmsley has been brilliant but the other three... LMS seems to have gone off the boil this year, Puletua isn't at his best when he has to graft, and Laffranchi quite simply doesn't look like a natural prop, I think he'd be better suited to the second row.

Laffranchi will miss this game because he's returned home on compassionate leave, so best wishes to him. Luke Thompson is back in the squad and Greg Richards could make his debut so it'll be interesting to see what sort of impact he can make.

In other Saints related news (though a little off topic) our 2014 Penrith pair both played again today in a big win against Gold Coast. Luke Walsh was once again excellent, scored a nice try off a great sidestep and kicked and converted well throughout. Masoe on the other hand was pretty poor in comparison to his dominant performance against St George last week. I'm still very happy that he's signed but there's some work to do with him I think.

Really looking forward to hear how Greg Richards goes on. Hopefully he can make the step up. Himself and Brad Singleton are the two players I expected to make an impact during the 2013 season from the Barrow area. He'll need to step up though as I feel Saints won't be able to carry any players during this game.

#14 jackknife

jackknife
  • Coach
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:24 AM

Surely we cant beat hull fc, wigan and then sts 1 after the other can we? Thatsthe type of run of wins you need to win the play offs, just need to get in them now ;)
COME ON THE CORN
CLASSY CAS 4EVA
Go Go Go York City Knights!

#15 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

16-6 to Castleford so far. I can't say I'm surprised.

The team sheet indicates that Brown has changed a fair bit round yet again, though it's hard to argue that replacing Wellens with Wilkin at 6 and putting LMS to 13 aren't logical changes.

Edited by MrFussy, 07 July 2013 - 03:15 PM.

#16 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:21 PM

16-6 to Castleford so far. I can't say I'm surprised.

The team sheet indicates that Brown has changed a fair bit round yet again, though it's hard to argue that replacing Wellens with Wilkin at 6 and putting LMS to 13 aren't logical changes.

But with every change he makes it puts pressure on us in the first half as everyone has to get used to playing alongside someone else.  It's bloody stupid the amount of wholesale tinkering he does and even when a combination works, he then goes and changes it the next week.

We are making so many errors it is just unreal.  Brown has utterly destroyed a decent side.  We aren't world beaters (anymore) but we are a lot better than the dross we are shovelling out every week this season.

#17 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

But with every change he makes it puts pressure on us in the first half as everyone has to get used to playing alongside someone else.  It's bloody stupid the amount of wholesale tinkering he does and even when a combination works, he then goes and changes it the next week.

We are making so many errors it is just unreal.  Brown has utterly destroyed a decent side.  We aren't world beaters (anymore) but we are a lot better than the dross we are shovelling out every week this season.

Yep.

Looks like our trademark rubbish start happened again this week.

#18 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:01 PM

We've come good in the second half to take a 30-20 lead. It's absolutely baffling that we're so bad at starting matches, this seems to be the case in every game we play in these days.

#19 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,559 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:08 PM

We've come good in the second half to take a 30-20 lead. It's absolutely baffling that we're so bad at starting matches, this seems to be the case in every game we play in these days.

As I say, if Brown would stop tinkering he would give us a better chance.

I'm worried about James Roby.  He went off before halftime and he's not been seen since.

And Jon Wilkin has just tried a drop goal.  If it wasn't so sad, it would be hilarious!

#20 MrFussy

MrFussy
  • Coach
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

As I say, if Brown would stop tinkering he would give us a better chance.

I'm worried about James Roby.  He went off before halftime and he's not been seen since.

And Jon Wilkin has just tried a drop goal.  If it wasn't so sad, it would be hilarious!

Oh dear :( that's not good news.

I'm very pleased to see that Makinson's got a hat trick today, I expect we'll be relying on him more next year with Meli gone so it's nice to see him stepping up.