Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

07/07/13 - Kingstone Press Championship 1 Match Thread

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,416 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 03:44 PM

Discuss all this week's games here.

SUNDAY 7 JULY
London Skolars v Gateshead Thunder    14:00
Hemel Stags v Rochdale Hornets    15:00
Oxford v Oldham    15:00
South Wales Scorpions v Gloucestershire All Golds    15:00

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Kingstone Press Championship One Match Previews

Hemel Stags v Rochdale Hornets (3.00pm)

Hemel Stags coach Troy Perkins faces a minor reshuffle after London Broncos recalled Jamie O’Callaghan for this week’s fixtures.
Perkins said: “We’re without Jamie, but otherwise we’re pretty healthy. Jy-Mel Coleman fitted in pretty well last week and hopefully he build and go even better this week.”
He added: “We’ve lost two on the bounce and last week was pretty disappointing because we beat ourselves, but Rochdale are in a similar boat to us.
“Both clubs are going to be fuelled by different things. Last week we let a game slip away that would have cemented us in the top four. We’ve got to pick up a few more wins, but we’ve been pretty good at home this year and hopefully that’ll be the same on Sunday.”
Rochdale coach Ian Talbot is demanding a major improvement after losing 48-0 against North Wales Crusaders.
Talbot said: “It was very disappointing. We came unstuck and they blew us away.
“We know Hemel are going to be a totally different proposition on their home pitch, and we know how tight that ground is. It’s going to be a real battle up front.”
Dayne Donoghue has ‘an outside chance’ of playing on Sunday, says Talbot.

London Skolars v Gateshead Thunder (2.00pm)

London Skolars coach Joe Mbu has warned his team to prepare for a battle when Gateshead  Thunder travel to the New River Stadium on Sunday.
Mbu said: “Since I’ve been with the Skolars, Gateshead have always looked at us as a team that they can get a win against.
“When they play against us, they turn up 100 per cent. It’s one of those games where it’ll be really tough for us.
“I’m sure they’ll come here with a view to beating us and bringing their best game of the season.
“I fully respect them, irrespective of what results they’ve had lately. They’ve got a lot of threats in their team.”
Mbu has a fully fit squad to pick from, while Gateshead coach Kevin Neighbour will check on Brad Krebs (dead leg) before finalising his team.
Thunder face the daunting task of travelling to London on Sunday, but Neighbour insists that will not be used as ‘an excuse’.
He said: “You can’t get any more of a mental challenge than preparing ourselves for the trip ahead.
“We’ve known about it for a while. There’s not a lot we can do apart from go there, get on with it and not use it as an excuse.”
He added: “London a team we should be looking to follow in terms of their progress. You try to build solid foundations like they have, as opposed to overspending and potentially going bust.”

Oxford v Oldham (3.00pm)

Oxford coach Tony Benson is calling for more composure among his players after last week’s shock home defeat against Gloucestershire All Golds.
Benson said: “We tried to play too much, particularly out of our own end. We need to grow an appreciation for territory.
“It’s an experience thing, although everybody was doing it. It was just excitement, I suppose, but it caught us out on a number of occasions and we spent far too much time on our own line.”
Andrew Bentley (back) will be checked on Thursday, while centre Sean Morris remains unavailable.
On Oldham, Benson said: “They’ve certainly strengthened their squad and they’ve been racking up some points.
“If we’re not a major improvement from our last game, in terms of playing with our brains, then we’re in trouble. I expect a response and I expect us to be quite a different team this week.”
Oldham trio Liam Gilchrist, Lewis Palfrey and Kenny Hughes all face late tests before Scott Naylor can finalise his squad.

South Wales Scorpions v Gloucestershire All Golds (3.00pm)

Dalton Grant and Thomas Morgan are both in contention for South Wales Scorpions, but Billy Sheen and Ben Moores are both missing.
Scorpions coach Dave Clark said: “We’re scoring at a similar rate to last year, but our defence is so much better. We’ve conceded 100 points fewer than at this stage of last season.
“It’s an exciting time and this is set to be a thrilling game. The All Golds have got the ability to win – they showed that against Oxford – and we need to make sure we’re technically good if we’re to get our second win in a row.”
Chris Vitalini is in line to feature for the All Golds against his former club, while Steve Parry also returns to The Knoll.
Gloucestershire coach Brad Hepi said: “Last week’s win was a long time coming, and I’m so happy for the boys because it gives them a bit of faith in their own ability.
“It showed that if you stick at things for the full 80 minutes, you can get results.”
Michael Venn is the All Golds’ only absentee from the side that beat Oxford last week.

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#3 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

Hope its going to be wins for Hemel, Gateshead, Oxford and Gloucestershire, but I fear it will be exactly the opposite with only Hemel and Gloucestershire earning bonus points (Maybe  Oxford, but sorry Gateshead - Skolars are starting to look really useful). Game at the Gnoll should be interesting with the  ex Scorpions players in the team. Tempted to travel down there but I think I will find a game nearer home.

#4 ThunderArmy

ThunderArmy
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 04 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

off to London Saturday stopping 2 nights for our game v scolars cant wait looking forward to it we may get beat not a lot of us though we love our club and would be fantastic if we can beat scolars, we'd celebrate like we've won the league if we win sunday just praying we get the win, at home scolars beat us 55-52 so we can score against them just need to improve our defence after 2 big defeats to Oldham and Rochdale though there top 3 in league, come on thunder! come on thunder!!

#5 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

Should be a cracking afternoon down at Pennine Way. Scorching weather, lots of activities going on and hopefully a decent away following. And of course a narrow win for Hemel!

#6 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:56 AM

Time for Hornets to get back on track after two disappointing defeats. Hopefully Hemel will cop the backlash (sorry, but as much as I like Hemel I want to see 'em pummelled this week).

Our fan-blog preview featuring Crazy Golf, Beach Volleyball and a near-2,000 mile odyssey is here http://theseladscanr...blogspot.co.uk/

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#7 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:57 AM

Should be a cracking afternoon down at Pennine Way. Scorching weather, lots of activities going on and hopefully a decent away following. And of course a narrow win for Hemel!

I'll see you there - get there early for the U20's game!

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!

#8 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

I'll see you there - get there early for the U20's game!

If you see a frazzled looking dad getting the runaround from a set of two year old twins - that'll be me!

Fully respect your desire to see Dale give us a pummelling of course. Bring it on!

#9 Stag Fan

Stag Fan
  • Coach
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:06 AM

If you see a frazzled looking dad getting the runaround from a set of two year old twins - that'll be me!

Fully respect your desire to see Dale give us a pummelling of course. Bring it on!

Sandpit has been redeveloped into a pathway :(  . But there will be plenty of other things to keep the little ones busy. :biggrin:

Posted Image

www.hemelstags.com

Welcome to this world Harry, 5lb 2oz and fighting fit.

#10 Stag Fan

Stag Fan
  • Coach
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

Time for Hornets to get back on track after two disappointing defeats. Hopefully Hemel will cop the backlash (sorry, but as much as I like Hemel I want to see 'em pummelled this week).

Our fan-blog preview featuring Crazy Golf, Beach Volleyball and a near-2,000 mile odyssey is here http://theseladscanr...blogspot.co.uk/

A nice flattering article. :good:

Oh and btw its junction 8 of the M1.

Posted Image

www.hemelstags.com

Welcome to this world Harry, 5lb 2oz and fighting fit.

#11 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,264 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

Very few games in this league have been totally predictable and this week is no exception.

I just hope that any future reshuffling of leagues doesn't ruin what could be a really good development vehicle.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2014 - the hard work starts now

#12 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

A nice flattering article. :good:

Oh and btw its junction 8 of the M1.

Cheers - will amend accordingly.

Have a bit of a soft spot for Hemel - went down to Pennine Way 20 years ago to see Hornets play in the Alliance Cup and they were probably my most seen 'away' team in the Summer conference over the last decade (at Warrington Wizards a couple of times, East Lancs Lions and at Underbank several times - plus last season's GF at Fev).

Posted Image

#13 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:02 PM

Rochdale at Hemel, Oxford at Iffley Road against Oldham. Which team bus will get back home to St Helens first ?

Should be interesting to see how Gloucs Uni get on with a number of players going back to South Wales for the first time. Scorpions could be making a late move into the play-off spots if Skolars and Hemel lose.

#14 mick wilson

mick wilson
  • Coach
  • 4,466 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:31 PM

How are the emerging clubs doing in their off field activates, are they immersing themselves into their communities and are they gaining increased support as a consequence ?  

Do they run local lotteries to increase revenue,  Hemel are building up the ground which is great to hear, what are their future plans for development.

IMHO It's a breath of fresh air for the sport, hope they all do well and slowly grow in all area's.

Edited by mick wilson, 07 July 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#15 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

off to London Saturday stopping 2 nights for our game v scolars cant wait looking forward to it we may get beat not a lot of us though we love our club and would be fantastic if we can beat scolars, we'd celebrate like we've won the league if we win sunday just praying we get the win, at home scolars beat us 55-52 so we can score against them just need to improve our defence after 2 big defeats to Oldham and Rochdale though there top 3 in league, come on thunder! come on thunder!!

Defence still needs sorting. I hope you enjoyed the weekend barring the result.

Edited by deluded pom?, 07 July 2013 - 04:55 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#16 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

The All Golds do it again!

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#17 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

The All Golds do it again!

Do they have any players called Terry playing for them?

rldfsignature.jpg

#18 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,488 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

Do they have any players called Terry playing for them?

I was going to say "how the hell do I know?", but :shout:

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#19 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 208 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

Great win for Hemel, the first time in C1 they've beaten a club that's older than them.

Rochdale don't seem to travel south well. Last 3 years at Skolars, 2 at South Wales, now Hemel have the hex on them as well. A big dent in their promotion hopes.

#20 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:06 PM

Great win for Hemel, the first time in C1 they've beaten a club that's older than them.

Rochdale don't seem to travel south well. Last 3 years at Skolars, 2 at South Wales, now Hemel have the hex on them as well. A big dent in their promotion hopes.

A fact that tends to add support to the "organic growth" argument.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users