TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Batley V Fev

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 mountieman21

mountieman21
  • Players
  • 67 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:32 PM

I have watched Batley over a 50 yr period and trust me in the 60s and 70s we really knew what hard times were.

Todays side are very wormanlike and give 100% every game.I think some of you are (like a lot of children in this generation)

spoilt.To even compete with sides like Fev and Halifax years ago we would have been more than happy but we were regularly

thrashed on countless occasions.Time to start counting our blessings and supporting the splendid efforts of our side.

#22 Mick Brannan

Mick Brannan
  • Players
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:57 AM

I can only agree with the sentiments of mountieman instead of knocking what you have appreciate the fact that we are winning more than we are losing

#23 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,555 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

I think most people are appreciative of the improvement in the performances over recent years but maybe believe, on ocasions, the team has let themselves down. Maybe this was in some way reiterated by JK yesterday, if indeed he did say that they had not kept to the game plan. If this is the case then perhaps some changes in personnel in the close season might well be beneficial.

Edited by fredm, 08 July 2013 - 08:15 AM.

#24 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 698 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:02 AM

I'm just gutted we won't have Tom Hemmingway next season but he says he will still be giving 100% for batley until the end of the season.

#25 marko9

marko9
  • Coach
  • 196 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:55 AM

Yes like to see Hemingway stay was an excellent back up,just didn't run at line enough,goalkicking was a joy to watch and not saying a bad player,sounds like a few changes in personnel like fredm said well we know at 7-9 leaving possibly maybe more,hopefully a few more players that play a more expansive game,black been carrying injuries which not helped us when he plays he can't half play,diff scrum half with a excellent in game kicking would be good,black had shown can kick a few 40/20's

#26 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,900 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:08 PM

The effort has never been in question, the team always put the effort in, but lack that cutting edge on attack, which was evident again yesterday.

Have to say though, cannot criticise anything as both sides gave it their all in hot conditions and i take my hat off to them.

Have to disagree with Mountieman though, I hardly think we are "spoilt" these days.

I appreciate the sides of the 60s and 70s were not a patch on what we have today, but you cut your cloth accordingly and live within your means as you do in all walks of life - as we are being pretty successful of late, expectation levels go up. I have no doubt during the 60s & 70s fans didnt expect much, and therefore were happy to give the Featherstones of the era a game, but often got beaten.

We have a side more than capacble of matching the best in the division, we lack a little on attack and thats the frustration of a lot of fans, as we are so near and yet so far from the top 4 clubs - we have a good coach, a great board of directors and the club is on the up and enjoying its best spell in a long time - so yes we are "spoilt" but our expectation levels reflect the progress the club is making on and off the field.

I think most fans in their right mind would agree with this, and we have no reason to just make do and be grateful that we can rub shoulders with the better clubs in the league - we are capable of so much more than that, and with a few key signings for next year we could finally bridge that gap.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#27 Nick07

Nick07
  • Coach
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

The effort has never been in question, the team always put the effort in, but lack that cutting edge on attack, which was evident again yesterday.

Have to say though, cannot criticise anything as both sides gave it their all in hot conditions and i take my hat off to them.

Have to disagree with Mountieman though, I hardly think we are "spoilt" these days.

I appreciate the sides of the 60s and 70s were not a patch on what we have today, but you cut your cloth accordingly and live within your means as you do in all walks of life - as we are being pretty successful of late, expectation levels go up. I have no doubt during the 60s & 70s fans didnt expect much, and therefore were happy to give the Featherstones of the era a game, but often got beaten.

We have a side more than capacble of matching the best in the division, we lack a little on attack and thats the frustration of a lot of fans, as we are so near and yet so far from the top 4 clubs - we have a good coach, a great board of directors and the club is on the up and enjoying its best spell in a long time - so yes we are "spoilt" but our expectation levels reflect the progress the club is making on and off the field.

I think most fans in their right mind would agree with this, and we have no reason to just make do and be grateful that we can rub shoulders with the better clubs in the league - we are capable of so much more than that, and with a few key signings for next year we could finally bridge that gap.

+1

#28 BatleyFanAndy

BatleyFanAndy
  • Coach
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

Cracking hard fought game against the most consistant side in the last 5 years or so.  Never an easy feat to go to Fev and come away with 3 points.  Thought both teams played an excellent game and kept all speccies on the edge of their sets (or terrace step).  One or two wrong decisions made by Batley but this is the norm at the moment.  JC was my MOM followed very closely by JD.

Never had a bad word to say about Fev fans but there were one or two turds around last weekend trying to wind people up.  I'm sure it's only a minority like anywhere (we have our own) but can't be bothered with those kinds!  They are lucky they don't get kicked for 2 sometimes!  Must be the sun that brings them out!

SIGNATURE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users