Try having a peek at the RLIF website.

RLIF??? Or RLI?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#42 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

Anyone know how the domestic season is going in Ireland?

And, to answer the question, 5 team leagues in Leinster and Munster, and the game seems to have collapsed in Ulster. Shame.

#43 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,998 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

RLIF??? Or RLI?

Sorry, used the ipad for that post. I meant the RLI website. The demise of the game in Ireland is one of the reasons I dislike, but understand, the heritage player issues. There are some nations with automatic WC entry that shouldn't have had that privilege. It makes some nations lazy in developing the game back home when they know there will be Aussies and Brits who will put their hands up for the chance to play in a WC but put little, if anything, back into the game in the nation they are representing. Next time around only the hosts and the four semi finalists from 2013 should be automatic qualifiers. This could be five tops if the WC is ever taken away from Australasia or the UK. Everyone else to come through a qualifying system.

Edited by deluded pom?, 07 July 2013 - 06:29 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#44 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

Sorry, used the ipad for that post. I meant the RLI website. The demise of the game in Ireland is one of the reasons I dislike, but understand, the heritage player issues. There are some nations with automatic WC entry that shouldn't have had that privilege. It makes some nations lazy in developing the game back home when they know there will be Aussies and Brits who will put their hands up for the chance to play in a WC but put little, if anything, back into the game in the nation they are representing. Next time around only the hosts and the four semi finalists from 2013 should be automatic qualifiers. This could be five tops if the WC is ever taken away from Australasia or the UK. Everyone else to come through a qualifying system.

I think I would agree with that. A lot of the thrill of Scotland being there in 2008 was that we had earned it by beating a decent Welsh side. Making the lesser sides qualify would concentrate a few minds and reward the nations putting in the hard work. If you were thinking of putting your hand up to play for Scotland or Ireland in the world cup finals, then join in the effort to help them qualify.

#45 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:33 AM

Completely agree on having qualifiers. If nothing else, as we saw prior to the 2008 WC, the qualifiers produce some terrific matches. It's balmy that all but 2 of the 14 teams at the WC didn't need to qualify. It would also, hopefully, lessen the instance of players playing in a WC and then not being seen again til the next WC.

Having said that, would bringing back qualifiers really make any difference to the domestic game in Ireland? Even last year in the relatively unimportant European Cup, most of the squad had English accents. Throw in a few more lads from SL and a few Aussies, and you wouldn't need any domestic players. And with the Irish heritage running fairly deep here and down under, that situation won't change for a good few years. As the RLI can be completely reliant on heritage players for the national side, it's arguable that they have no need to worry about developing the domestic game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users