TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Willie Hargreaves

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GaryHall

GaryHall
  • Coach
  • 544 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

One of the greatest York players, Willie Hargreaves died yesterday.

Full Back Signed for York from Stanley, Unlucky never to gain representative honours, named in the “shadow” squad many times. Played in 1957 Yorkshire Cup Final side narrowly beaten by Huddersfield.

Willie Hargreaves played his first game for York on Monday 3rd of November 1952. He made 444 starting appearances plus 2 off the bench scoring 61 tries and 21 goals totalling 225 points and he played his final game for York on Sunday 20th of November 1966.

To commemorate his service to York Rugby League, Willie Hargreaves was inaugurated into the York RL Hall of Fame in March 2013.

The thoughts of Knights supporters are with his wife and family at this sad time.

#2 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:48 AM

Sad news. Mind if I put this on the website Gary?

Posted Image

#3 AndyHall

AndyHall
  • Coach
  • 618 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

Sad news indeed.

#4 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,871 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:47 PM

One of my all time great York players, R.I.P. sad news.

#5 ashbourneknight

ashbourneknight
  • Coach
  • 383 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

Willie was a person who's face you never forgot,used to see him during the day around York,very rarely had a bad game and would never shy a tackle,long happy memories of his fullback days at York,R.I.P Willie Hargreaves.

#6 Peter G.

Peter G.
  • Coach
  • 319 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

One of the best ever " round yer legs" tacklers to don a York R.L. shirt.

If an opponent broke through the ranks he would have needed a hell of a sidestep to have a chance of going round Willie Hargreaves.  RIP Willie.

#7 William Webb Ellis

William Webb Ellis
  • Coach
  • 362 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

Coming to the end of his career when I first started going to Clarence Street but fondly remembered. RIP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users