Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

TRL Helpdesk

British Gas

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

5 years ago I moved into a student house with three other guys - when sorting the utilities out it came to light that for some reason the landlord or whoever had lived in the house before had the gas supply to the house on a British Gas business rate. This seemed a bit odd to us, so after many calls to and fro (BG couldn't comprehend for some reason that we were a house, not a business) they transferred us to a residential account - all fine and dandy or so it seems. We moved out 10 months later and paid off the bills as you do.

However I got a message recently from one of the guys I used to live with saying that British Gas are chasing him for a debt of up to £660. Luckily we still had a copy of the final bill saying all debt was paid off - however BG said that was a personal account and this £660 debt was in the business account, even though we were under the assumption that everything had been transferred to personal (certainly I was, after spending so long arguing for them to change the type of account purely because I wanted to pay off the correct rate).

Now here’s the sticky wicket – apart from the final bill, I’m not sure how much correspondence we have left with British Gas – the final bill certainly and a third former housemate does have a various collection of old bills from different houses we used to live in but being typical students at the time, not everything. However since I did much argument over the phone about whether we were a business/residential account 5 years ago I can’t exactly prove what or wasn’t said.

I’ll be honest, I’m posting this far more in hope than expectation, and I’ve a feeling without every bit of paper sent to us by the company in the past decade we haven’t a leg to stand on. But apparently my friend is getting chased daily for this and I have this nagging feeling I’m right, although massive companies can be tricky to deal with at the best of times and “a feeling” ain’t much.

Anybody got any experience/tips that might make things a little easier. No worries if not. :)

Edited by Amber Avenger, 05 July 2013 - 12:41 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#2 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:08 PM

5 years ago I moved into a student house with three other guys - when sorting the utilities out it came to light that for some reason the landlord or whoever had lived in the house before had the gas supply to the house on a British Gas business rate. This seemed a bit odd to us, so after many calls to and fro (BG couldn't comprehend for some reason that we were a house, not a business) they transferred us to a residential account - all fine and dandy or so it seems. We moved out 10 months later and paid off the bills as you do.[/size]

However I got a message recently from one of the guys I used to live with saying that British Gas are chasing him for a debt of up to £660. Luckily we still had a copy of the final bill saying all debt was paid off - however BG said that was a personal account and this £660 debt was in the business account, even though we were under the assumption that everything had been transferred to personal (certainly I was, after spending so long arguing for them to change the type of account purely because I wanted to pay off the correct rate). [/size]

Now here’s the sticky wicket – apart from the final bill, I’m not sure how much correspondence we have left with British Gas – the final bill certainly and a third former housemate does have a various collection of old bills from different houses we used to live in but being typical students at the time, not everything. However since I did much argument over the phone about whether we were a business/residential account 5 years ago I can’t exactly prove what or wasn’t said. [/size]

I’ll be honest, I’m posting this far more in hope than expectation, and I’ve a feeling without every bit of paper sent to us by the company in the past decade we haven’t a leg to stand on. But apparently my friend is getting chased daily for this and I have this nagging feeling I’m right, although massive companies can be tricky to deal with at the best of times and “a feeling” ain’t much. [/size]

Anybody got any experience/tips that might make things a little easier. No worries if not. :)[/size]

Direct them to the landlord, it sounds like he had the business rate set up. Otherwise confirm the dates that this bill covers and what payments were made in that period.

Also try asking on Moneysavingexpert.com forums

28m391z.jpg

#3 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:36 AM

Write to the CEO level - works ever time in my experience - will definitely get it significantly reduced if not written off

They are basically trying it on, or should I say, their debt collecting arm or company they outsource it to are. the debt will already be written off in BG's books and they are trying to get some of it back.

Phil.Bentley@centrica.com would be a start

Gets your complaint registered as a board level one, and thereby prioritises it - be polite, explain exactly what you said in the OP and stress it was never mentioned until you had moved out. Don't make any offers to pay part or all if they can prove it. Don't even mention payment or difficulties of doing so. Just state the facts and explain that after exhaustive attempts to explain it was not your bill, you have had to resort to contacting him, to hopefully receive the customer service you would expect from his company.

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion