• This topic is locked This topic is locked
76 replies to this topic

#21 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:04 PM

I argue like cat and dog with Sadler about all sorts
but the idea that he pushes his own club's agenda in his publishing is the lowest of the low.

It is no different from you asking other fans of clubs the same question. does that mean you the lowest of the low for asking others about it previously? I certainly don't think so. I think it's a relevant question to ask.

Edited by a.n Other, 05 July 2013 - 08:06 PM.

#22 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:21 PM

Cricket has P and R

Just to be clear, cricket cannot have P&R, it is a sport not a competition. In professional domestic cricket in England and Wales only the County Championship (First Class) has P&R.

The much more popular YB40 (List A) and FLt20 (Twenty20) competitions do not have P&R instead uses separate conference-style structures. Nor does the Minor Counties Championship (3-Day), from which a few teams have been awarded first class status, which instead has regional divisions.

#23 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,398 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:27 PM

I argue like cat and dog with Sadler about all sorts
but the idea that he pushes his own club's agenda in his publishing is the lowest of the low.

its ott to say its the lowest of tge low. Similar accusations are thrown at posters here all the time, Martyn is no different to the rest of us.

#24 jpmc

jpmc
  • Coach
  • 497 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

Just to be clear, cricket cannot have P&R, it is a sport not a competition. In professional domestic cricket in England and Wales only the County Championship (First Class) has P&R.

The much more popular YB40 (List A) and FLt20 (Twenty20) competitions do not have P&R instead uses separate conference-style structures. Nor does the Minor Counties Championship (3-Day), from which a few teams have been awarded first class status, which instead has regional divisions.

Just out of interest who plays in the minor counties?

#25 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

Just out of interest who plays in the minor counties?

Schoolboys, students, teachers, cricket coaches, club pros, anyone with enough free time to play, 2nd XI players from the major counties. Minor counties cricket is a bit of an oddity as it doesn't really perform an elite performance role.

None of the England cricket team would have come from the Minor Counties system for example. What tends to happen is that the major counties suck up all the talent from the surrounding minor counties. Players from Cheshire will go to Lancs, Lincs to Notts or Yorks etc. It is an historical throwback and not much use to anyone apart from the pride of those that are involved.

The elite youth development system in English cricket is now very focused on the clubs and supplemented by the big cricket playing private schools. From the clubs and the schools the young players are then funnelled into county age group sides and they go on from there. Joe Root is a good example. Made a name for himself at Sheffield Collegiate, got in the Yorkshire age group sides, got a scholarship to Workshop College and went on from there. He has basically been a semi pro cricketer since the age of 16. Some schools even recruit cricketers as young as 13!

#26 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,589 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

It is no different from you asking other fans of clubs the same question. does that mean you the lowest of the low for asking others about it previously? I certainly don't think so. I think it's a relevant question to ask.

it's a lot different

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#27 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,589 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

its ott to say its the lowest of tge low. Similar accusations are thrown at posters here all the time, Martyn is no different to the rest of us.

it's gthe lowest of the low because we are saying what we say as private individuals

Sadler is no different to anyone except in his position of trust in the media which AN Other is suggesting that he abuses.

Keeping it local

#28 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,589 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

High dozens! I think you have the union calculator out

aye

the half dozens

Keeping it local

#29 Just to be clear

Just to be clear
  • Coach
  • 330 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:02 PM

X

Edited by Just to be clear, 05 July 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#30 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:09 AM

Good to see some sensible opinions coming to the fore. The 'Bring back P&R' brigade have had too much air recently. Any sensible person knows bringing back P&R would be the death of the game over here.

Lets be realistic P and R wouldn't make RL die, it may not progress but it wouldn't cause the death of the game over here.

#31 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,216 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:33 AM

We know it's right.  We get more coverage, TV, Radio, print during the 4 nations than we do for most of the season.  When we get in a final, we have actually led the sports news.  Internationals matter to the press.

That's true but it has no bearing on p and r and league formats

#32 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

That's true but it has no bearing on p and r and league formats

I think it was a reference to the OP which referred to an article in RLW by Martyn Sadler about changes to the international game.

Edited by thirteenthman, 06 July 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#33 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 456 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

International cricket only has eight real international countries, with a little bit of focus RL could have this too: two French SL teams, maybe a Celtic league down the road for wales/ire/scot, Samoa have a great supply of players, big potential in Tonga, PNG also has huge potential in addition to Eng, NZ and Aus. Bring back Lions tours, it's tours like that that get the column inches, no accident that the profile of RL has slipped in the post Lions world. Let's have a European ladder, winner plays England, who will play the exiles (who should include a guest player to add something extra) on ANZAC day in London. Jared to get back n the front foot. Not against PR and relegation of some sort, we have in now. Why does it have to be every year? Why not every two years?

#34 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,216 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:00 PM

International cricket only has eight real international countries, with a little bit of focus RL could have this too: two French SL teams, maybe a Celtic league down the road for wales/ire/scot, Samoa have a great supply of players, big potential in Tonga, PNG also has huge potential in addition to Eng, NZ and Aus. Bring back Lions tours, it's tours like that that get the column inches, no accident that the profile of RL has slipped in the post Lions world. Let's have a European ladder, winner plays England, who will play the exiles (who should include a guest player to add something extra) on ANZAC day in London. Jared to get back n the front foot. Not against PR and relegation of some sort, we have in now. Why does it have to be every year? Why not every two years?

I was but a bit of a lad when the winning British tour to Australia and new Zealand took place and I remember having to go the Keighley library reading room to scout through all the dailies to find any mention of the tour results although they were there somewhere at the bottom of  a page in the depths of the sports sections.

GB really took it to the Aussies and kit should have been headline news. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

#35 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

Bring back Lions tours, it's tours like that that get the column inches, no accident that the profile of RL has slipped in the post Lions world.

Since the last Lions tour in 1996, GB or England have toured Aus and NZ 3 times for the Tri Nations or Four Nations, and of course they were down under in 2008 for the World Cup. I doubt an old style Lions tour would result in any more exposure than any of these produced.

Edited by thirteenthman, 06 July 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#36 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,589 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:09 PM

if you are going to call into question Sadler's integrity

you should so some yourself and tell him to his face.

Keeping it local

#37 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

Since the last Lions tour in 1996, GB or England have toured Aus and NZ 3 times for the Tri Nations or Four Nations, and of course they were down under in 2008 for the World Cup. I doubt an old style Lions tour would result in any more exposure than any of these produced.

The last tour to take in Australia was in 1992. The 1996 tour was Fiji and New Zealand.

rldfsignature.jpg

#38 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,634 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

The last tour to take in Australia was in 1992. The 1996 tour was Fiji and New Zealand.

1996 took in PNG as well, but it was the last old style Lions tour even if it didn't go to Oz.

#39 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:47 PM

1996 took in PNG as well, but it was the last old style Lions tour even if it didn't go to Oz.

As the SL and NRL seasons run at the same time,traditional Lions and Kangaroo tours are a thing of the past. It's a shame, but necessary for SL to be in the summer
Posted Image

Posted Image

#40 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

Depends what you mean by real. Bangladesh can be a dangerous one day outfit and once Mugabe dies Zimbabwe will hopefully recover. Ireland, Scotland and Afghanistan are all getting better and better and have regular international competition with each other. I think rugby league could learn a lot from cricket.

The key with developing the sport internationally is for teams of a similar standard to play each other as much as possible. Australia, New Zealand and England in the first tier and PNG, Wales, France etc in the second tier. I mean France and Wales should be playing each other in a three test series every year. Also PNG, Fiji, Samoa and Tonga should play each other as much as possible too. One of the bet things about the 2008 World Cup was the smaller countries going at it full tilt.

http://en.wikipedia....ue_Championship

http://en.wikipedia....continental_Cup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users