TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Martyn Sadler - Take a bow

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
76 replies to this topic

#61 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:43 PM

Enough of them hopefully

Hopefully?
You were pretty certain a couple of days ago
And it was 'the clubs' and it was all their idea.
Or am I being pedantic?
Merely going on what Mr Rimmer said on Boots n all who conveyed the feeling from last Wednesday's meeting of SL clubs. Did you hear it differently?
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#62 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,650 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

Merely going on what Mr Rimmer said on Boots n all who conveyed the feeling from last Wednesday's meeting of SL clubs. Did you hear it differently?

I didn't hear it at all.

it woul;d appear that nobody else did either.

Why wait until now, and why contradict yourself?

What did Rimmer say? His performance was highly criticised.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#63 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,238 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:53 AM

martyn's column in league express this week was excellent, he highlighted what steve o'connor has brought to the game and was gushing in his praise for the man. people like steve, omar khan and koukash have certainly given the game a massive kick up the backside and have certainly brought their business accumen to the table...
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#64 Rover and out

Rover and out
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

Growth in attendances

Growth in geographical spread- see championship one

Clubs conducting themselves in a more professional way including yours

More and better tv coverage

Runners up in the 4 nations having beaten the world champions to get there

High class young players coming to prominence- hence NRL clubs recruit them

And whether you like it or not financial stability: one shudders to think what would have happened during the recession if clubs were run like they were

Between 1973 and 1993 ie the previous twenty years how many great achievements were there in rugby league in this country? After a them wot days

The sport has major problems and challenges
many of them going back to 1895
I would suggest that for all its faults the way the game is run now is better than the era the self serving victim centred parochial it's whinge about returning to

Edit: and here's to a successful and enjoyable World Cup I don't think a small group of narrow minded whingers will be missed

I agree its helped some clubs improve but there's still clubs that are struggling and going into administration etc. So shouldn't clubs like featherstone who have got they're houses in order be replacing them? Why would this be a backwards step?

#65 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,650 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

I agree its helped some clubs improve but there's still clubs that are struggling and going into administration etc. So shouldn't clubs like featherstone who have got they're houses in order be replacing them? Why would this be a backwards step?

there are already two clubs in super league almost within walking distance of featherstone.

I don't think you mean 'clubs like featherstone', I think you mean just Featherstone.

I would be very disappointed if featherstone were admitted to Super League at the expense of Toulouse.

Keeping it local

#66 Eddie Rombo

Eddie Rombo
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

there are already two clubs in super league almost within walking distance of featherstone.

I don't think you mean 'clubs like featherstone', I think you mean just Featherstone.

I would be very disappointed if featherstone were admitted to Super League at the expense of Toulouse.

Why not replace Castleford with Featherstone then and admit Toulouse as well, if the proximity of the clubs is your problem with Featherstone been in Super League. Cas have had long enough and not really grown their club and their close rivals have earned their chance. 

#67 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 10:33 AM

I didn't hear it at all.
it woul;d appear that nobody else did either.
Why wait until now, and why contradict yourself?

What did Rimmer say? His performance was highly criticised.

Nobody else heard it at all either but his performance was highly criticised? Right.
He said the SL clubs were leaning towards the two twelves and three eights at present but further options were being discussed also with a firm decision expected before the season's end. He merely confirmed what had been previously said in the RL press. If you disagree try taking it up with him.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#68 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,650 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:23 AM

Why not replace Castleford with Featherstone then and admit Toulouse as well, if the proximity of the clubs is your problem with Featherstone been in Super League. Cas have had long enough and not really grown their club and their close rivals have earned their chance.

Maybe
But I still think two is too many
Keeping it local

#69 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,650 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

Nobody else heard it at all either but his performance was highly criticised? Right.
He said the SL clubs were leaning towards the two twelves and three eights at present but further options were being discussed also with a firm decision expected before the season's end. He merely confirmed what had been previously said in the RL press. If you disagree try taking it up with him.

well nobody else has mentioned it until now-including you

so now it's the SL clubs again and it's definite(?)

a couple of posts ago it was' enough of them hopefully.'

If I disagree with Rimmer? Well up until now according to you Rimmer and the rest of the people running the sport have been incompetents whose aim in life has been to do your club down. have you taken it up with him?

Of course I wont take it up with Rimmer. There are others with more clout, or even any clout at all who will do that.

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 10 July 2013 - 11:38 AM.

Keeping it local

#70 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:35 AM

It's got absolutely nothing to do with allowing Fev, Leigh and Fax back onto the elite. There's no guarantee any of them will qualify. It's about the nature of the competition and the intensity it will generate.

You've made more comebacks than Frank Sinatra, sadly.

Well to continue the musical theme, Featherstone Rovers in a rejigged top flight would sadly be about as intense as Kenny Rogers’ afternoon Glastonbury set.

Let’s be clear here, reinstating P&R would result in a more INCLUSIVE competition. Going a different route, a more INTENSE competition would be created by reducing the number of teams and potentially using mergers as a means to create new teams that could operate more competitively and sustainably (this being the route that NRL took in the late 90s).

Examples of intense competitions are NRL (again) and NFL, in which any side can win all of the marbles. Examples of inclusive competitions are any of the Euro soccer leagues, in which only a small number of sides can ever triumph and the rest are just happy to line up alongside them.

You pays your money and takes your choice (which is why I now only watch NRL) but you are being quite disingenuous with your use of adjectives here. 

#71 the phoenix

the phoenix
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:59 AM

whats the proximity got to do with it ? should we kick everton out of the premiership them because liverpool is just over the road 

RL is a sport and and teams should be judged on merit not their near neighbours 

why the hell should toulouse be given entry , if they want to play in our league then stick them in the lower divisions and let them prove their worth 

and as for your dissapointment - you would have that of any good news coming out of POR with your agenda`s 

did you mention this dissapointment when you picked up the award ? - you have more faces than a town hall clock 

Edited by the phoenix, 10 July 2013 - 12:01 PM.

#72 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,650 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

whats the proximity got to do with it ? should we kick everton out of the premiership them because liverpool is just over the road
RL is a sport and and teams should be judged on merit not their near neighbours
why the hell should toulouse be given entry , if they want to play in our league then stick them in the lower divisions and let them prove their worth
and as for your dissapointment - you would have that of any good news coming out of POR with your agenda`s

did you mention this dissapointment when you picked up the award ? - you have more faces than a town hall clock

Are you seriously comparing soccer with rugby league?
And liverpool fc/Everton with featherstone/Castleford/ Wakefield ?
Soccer is the worlds richest most widespread and popular sport with large rich clubs the length and breadth of the country and of course the rest of the planet Liverpool and Everton are worldwide brands within that.

Toulouse should be given entry because of what they will bring to the competition

As for your personal comments, they just show up your own ignorance

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 10 July 2013 - 12:18 PM.

Keeping it local

#73 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:26 PM

Well to continue the musical theme, Featherstone Rovers in a rejigged top flight would sadly be about as intense as Kenny Rogers’ afternoon Glastonbury set.

Let’s be clear here, reinstating P&R would result in a more INCLUSIVE competition. Going a different route, a more INTENSE competition would be created by reducing the number of teams and potentially using mergers as a means to create new teams that could operate more competitively and sustainably (this being the route that NRL took in the late 90s).

Examples of intense competitions are NRL (again) and NFL, in which any side can win all of the marbles. Examples of inclusive competitions are any of the Euro soccer leagues, in which only a small number of sides can ever triumph and the rest are just happy to line up alongside them.

You pays your money and takes your choice (which is why I now only watch NRL) but you are being quite disingenuous with your use of adjectives here.

Great post. My thoughts exactly. Past all the hype Premiership soccer is not a great competition. Only two or three teams can win the competition and for those that are neutral it is boring. Predictable and boring.

Soccer in this country, for any number of sensible reasons, isn't the model that other sports should wish to ape.

#74 the phoenix

the phoenix
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

Are you seriously comparing soccer with rugby league?
And liverpool fc/Everton with featherstone/Castleford/ Wakefield ?
Soccer is the worlds richest most widespread and popular sport with large rich clubs the length and breadth of the country and of course the rest of the planet Liverpool and Everton are worldwide brands within that.

Toulouse should be given entry because of what they will bring to the competition

As for your personal comments, they just show up your own ignorance

i`ll taken ignorance over two faced arrogance every day of the week 

#75 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,650 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

i`ll taken ignorance over two faced arrogance every day of the week

Which again shows your ignorance
Keeping it local

#76 the phoenix

the phoenix
  • Coach
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

Which again shows your ignorance

i dont think many that know you would question your arrogance , and as for two faced - well attacking a club every opportunity and stating your dissapointment should they reach their goal despite all smiles when you picked up an award from them , covers that i reckon

#77 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,765 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

And another thread disappears up its own backside!

Locked.

Continue the Super League restructure debate here, if you must, but cut out the personal comments.

http://www.totalrl.c...merged-threads/

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users