RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

3D TV's star appears to be fading

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,564 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

The BBC are putting 3D broadcasts on "indefinite hold".

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,392 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:11 PM

Good.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 18,564 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

I believe ESPN have also closed down their 3D channel in the USA.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,645 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:21 PM

I'm with Mark Kermode on the subject of 3D. Doesn't add anything to the viewing experience and gives me a headache.
Fides invicta triumphat

#5 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 02:26 PM

I bought a new smart tv and it had 3D so I gave it a go. After 10 mins it gave me head ache, I reckon if you watch it to long you will end up like the jury in the film The Jerk.

#6 Li0nhead

Li0nhead
  • Coach
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

Black and white-> Colour -> Wide Screen -> HD ->3d.

What has happened is the last 3 have been in a really short period. and the HD to 3D period people don't have several £100 of easy credit at hand to get a new telly every couple of years unlike the Wide-Screen to HD period. Also theres the increased subscriptions to TV groups to get the best use out of them when there is not a lot of cash spare to do this.

Then factor in that at the same time as the 3D tellys being about, internet connected on demand TV is getting established and i expect this to take off as we slowly replace our tellys (another 3 year off for me) unlike 3D which i see not use for in the average family living room. 

#7 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

theres only so many times you can re brand the same old ######, vinyl- cassette- cd -mp3- mp4- download , 3d is just the same- looks like it didn't last as long that's all

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#8 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

theres only so many times you can re brand the same old ######,

I don't know, it seems to me that dishwasher cleaner gets rebranded every few years. The new version gets rid of all stains and doesn't harm your crockery. Which is the same as they said when thy brought the last sensation, and the one before that, and the one before that, and the one bef...all the way back to the day dishwashers were invented.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#9 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,145 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

I'm with Mark Kermode on the subject of 3D. Doesn't add anything to the viewing experience and gives me a headache.

At last we agree. I feel like that about Kermode, too.

#10 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,645 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

At last we agree. I feel like that about Kermode, too.

:D very good
Fides invicta triumphat

#11 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 17,586 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 11:52 PM

If you want to see 3D go to theatre, rugby stadium, concert or whatever, TV is a 2 dimensional experience, just like the rest of your life.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

Footballers spend 90 minutes pretending to be hurt, rugby players spend 80 minutes pretending they haven't been hurt.

#12 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 13,500 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:26 PM

I enjoy watching movies and some sport in 3D at home.

One of my main issues with it though is that it isn't that easy to just flick through and watch something in 3D. You have to change your settings, and tbh I move one of my sofas so it is right in front of the TV, as well as digging out the specs.

Also, I sometimes get bored and want to flick through and that doesn't work with 3D!

When I do make the effort and watch a movie though, I must admit I do enjoy it.

I'm not surprised that BBC are sacking it off though - they haven't really done it properly.

#13 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 11,633 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

I enjoy watching movies and some sport in 3D at home.

One of my main issues with it though is that it isn't that easy to just flick through and watch something in 3D. You have to change your settings, and tbh I move one of my sofas so it is right in front of the TV, as well as digging out the specs.

Also, I sometimes get bored and want to flick through and that doesn't work with 3D!

When I do make the effort and watch a movie though, I must admit I do enjoy it.

I'm not surprised that BBC are sacking it off though - they haven't really done it properly.

I hadn't realised life was so tough for you Dave....

• Dave T likes this

Hull-FC-V10-e1380711301940.jpg         HULL NOT VERY PROUD

"You're not City anymore!"

(The chant of opposition fans to Hull Tigers' supporters this season)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users