Sky price rise

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:01 AM

I have just been informed that my Sky subscription will increase by £2.50 from August the 1st.
Of course they are "bringing me some great shows" and "Our greatest ever year of sport is all yours"
Including Football, Rugby Union , F1and Cricket.............
And that's it!
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#2 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:47 AM

It's about time soccer had it's own subscription channel then the rest of us can see RL safe in the knowledge that we aren't paying the prima donnas' wages.

rldfsignature.jpg

#3 XIII

XIII
  • Coach
  • 246 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

It's about time soccer had it's own subscription channel then the rest of us can see RL safe in the knowledge that we aren't paying the prima donnas' wages.

Whilst that is in theory a good idea, I would say that without football RL would get less money. Whilst die hards on here would still subscribe, the vast majority buy sky sports for football and then watch the RL as a secondary sport. What would happen is they would cancel sky sports and move to the football only channel, thus less people watching the game and a lot less money coming in.

Edited by XIII, 06 July 2013 - 09:56 AM.

#4 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:11 AM

Just canceled Sky sports, will watch any important games online or in the pub. I will get Premiere sports for the Rugby World Cup.

#5 sheddings69

sheddings69
  • Coach
  • 786 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

Just canceled Sky sports, will watch any important games online or in the pub. I will get Premiere sports for the Rugby World Cup.

Haven't had Sky for years and wouldn't take it if you paid me!

#6 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

I gave my 30 days notice to cancel a couple of weeks ago back, so in a couple of weeks time I'll just have Premier Sports. 9 games of RL a week for £10 a month - more than happy with that.

#7 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,407 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

I have just been informed that my Sky subscription will increase by £2.50 from August the 1st.
Of course they are "bringing me some great shows" and "Our greatest ever year of sport is all yours"
Including Football, Rugby Union , F1and Cricket.............
And that's it!

So much for "We never stop thinking about rugby league"

It's time to park the camels.

#8 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,650 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:22 AM

I have a wedding to save for now so the £25 I save per month will pay 10% of the DJ costs!!!

I never appreciated how expensive weddings are!!

#9 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 10:23 AM

They did seriously consider this in 2005 (or so) and did a good bit of research into it, asking football fans how much they'd pay for a Sky Football channel or two and how much others would pay for a Sky Sports without football.  It was something I was very keen on as it would cut my cost of Sky without having to bother with football.  The research came out that they'd lose quite a bit of money as they'd get less money from the football-only people and quite a bit less money from those who didn't like football, they'd gain so few new sport subscribers that they'd lose a good bit of money on the whole thing.  Unfortunately, we're stuck with Sky Sports as it is, if you want to watch Super League only at home then you're going to have to lump that you're subsidising football's excesses.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#10 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,567 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:10 PM

No issues over £2.50, just got sky broadband for half price .... Swings and roundabouts

#11 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,877 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

Sky tv is an outstanding product imho.

People bang on about us subsidising football but ignore the fact they have also invested in F1 for example. They invest in all sort, movies, arts, entertainment, plus the RL contract increased.

I can live with an extra 2.50

#12 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

Can you still get Premier if you don't subscribe to Sky sports?

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#13 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,567 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

Yes you can, you can also get bt new channels without sky subscription

#14 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,804 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

I have a wedding to save for now so the £25 I save per month will pay 10% of the DJ costs!!!

I never appreciated how expensive weddings are!!

Sky sports can last longer than some marriages :girlinlove:

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#15 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

Can you still get Premier if you don't subscribe to Sky sports?

You don't have to subscribe to any Sky channels at all to have Premier. Apparently they provide you with a card for the box if you dont have one.

#16 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,535 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

Reading this I'm still surprised how many on here continue to complain about the BBC. The cost difference between them and Sky is staggering, hence Murdoch et al constantly slagging off the BBC.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#17 Loiner

Loiner
  • Coach
  • 314 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Best post for ages well said sir.

#18 Saint Until I Die

Saint Until I Die
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:47 PM

Whilst that is in theory a good idea, I would say that without football RL would get less money. Whilst die hards on here would still subscribe, the vast majority buy sky sports for football and then watch the RL as a secondary sport. What would happen is they would cancel sky sports and move to the football only channel, thus less people watching the game and a lot less money coming in.

I agree with this. Football is obviously the most popular sport in Britain, but Rugby League is a sport that attracts attention. People respect what Rugby League, and Rugby players in general put there bodies through, and although those of us who follow the game with a passion may have noticed a couple of differences, it's a good spectacle, and one that the majority of sports fans do enjoy. Perhaps not as a First Choice sport if you like, but the nature of the game does attract sports fans in general. I highly doubt that these people would pay simply for Rugby League, but they would, and do, watch the games as it is.

#19 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,392 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

taken from another forum.

Q Could The Premier League make more money by selling their rights directly to consumers.

A It has been considered.

I think the general consensus (and what the PL thinks) is that they would actually raise less money.

There are a whole host of reasons but probably the biggest is that if you just sell PL content alone you will get far fewer subscribers - people subscribe to Pay TV sports for regular, ongoing, top quality content. Not just individual matches.

Then consider this. Sky's PremPlus channel - which had the rights to 50 PL games - generated total revenues of £35m per year - absolute peanuts. The demand wasn't there.

Next, Sky has publicly stated that the average Sky Sports viewer who watches live PL football watches 30 live PL games per season. If that's the PL content they want then would they really pay £30 per month (£360 per year) just to do that?

Another relevant stat is that live PL makes up just 10% of total Sky Sports viewer hours - it's 10% of SS viewing. Whilst it's the most important content by far, people won't pay the "full price" for 10% of the content.

Then there are other factors like being part of a channel / bundle gives opportunities for cross-promotion, economies of scale etc.

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#20 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,554 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

If the PL is only ten per cent of Sky Sports output then why is it so disproportionately valued?

Edited by deluded pom?, 06 July 2013 - 06:32 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users