• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

Sky tv is an outstanding product imho.
People bang on about us subsidising football but ignore the fact they have also invested in F1 for example. They invest in all sort, movies, arts, entertainment, plus the RL contract increased.
I can live with an extra 2.50

Serious question Dave. Can you subscribe to the F1 channel as a stand alone channel?

rldfsignature.jpg

#22 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 07:34 PM

Hope Premier Sports don't copy Sky and put the price up on the subscription,£9.99 is the right price for a stand alone channel,but i've got a feeling it might be going up soon.

#23 robinson2

robinson2
  • Coach
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:36 PM

Sky tv is an outstanding product imho.

People bang on about us subsidising football but ignore the fact they have also invested in F1 for example. They invest in all sort, movies, arts, entertainment, plus the RL contract increased.

I can live with an extra 2.50

Completely agree. I am a huge cricket fan (it is my favourite sport) and Sky's coverage has been outstanding over the years. I wonder how many people would really go back to 10 top division games a season on the box, tests interrupted by racing and Hollyoaks and no proper coverage of cricket overseas tours. 

Hope Premier Sports don't copy Sky and put the price up on the subscription,£9.99 is the right price for a stand alone channel,but i've got a feeling it might be going up soon.

I don't have Premier Sports but I wouldn't be so sure as they don't have a new, bumper Premier League TV deal to recoup the cost of.

#24 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:27 AM

I have a wedding to save for now so the £25 I save per month will pay 10% of the DJ costs!!!
I never appreciated how expensive weddings are!!

I do a decent wedding video! If you're paying all that money out it'd be a shame not to have a record of it.
www.picturehouseweddingfilms.co.uk
Never been one to pass up an opportunity!
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#25 DAZROVER1985

DAZROVER1985
  • Coach
  • 322 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

If the PL is only ten per cent of Sky Sports output then why is it so disproportionately valued?

football sells subscriptions, I wonder how many they would lose if they stopped showing football?

#26 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

I do a decent wedding video! If you're paying all that money out it'd be a shame not to have a record of it.
www.picturehouseweddingfilms.co.uk
Never been one to pass up an opportunity!

and I know a couple of very good bands for the nite do

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#27 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,615 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

If the PL is only ten per cent of Sky Sports output then why is it so disproportionately valued?

I think there are other factors. Number of subscribers, number of viewers, advertising income,.pub licences etc

#28 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

Output and consumption are different, surely?

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#29 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,066 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:58 AM

Please do not post ways of getting televised rugby league games for free on this forum.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#30 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:31 AM

football sells subscriptions, I wonder how many they would lose if they stopped showing football?

I'm not suggesting they stop showing soccer but giving it it's own subscription channel.

rldfsignature.jpg

#31 Bulliac

Bulliac
  • Coach
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

Because of the amount they have to pay in the auction to get it, probably.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.co...s/31337109@N03/

#32 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

Because of the amount they have to pay in the auction to get it, probably.

Then why did they virtually double their offer for the last auction of the EPL rights when there was no other network who were interested at that price or anywhere near it? They overbid for something that only they were seriously interested in.

rldfsignature.jpg

#33 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

Then why did they virtually double their offer for the last auction of the EPL rights when there was no other network who were interested at that price or anywhere near it? They overbid for something that only they were seriously interested in.

How can you say no one else was interested when BT sports have bought the top package with most of the best games in.

#34 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

BT threw silly money to try and get all the top packages, which meant sky having to pay extra.

BT have two better packages than what ESPN/SETANTA  had and will pick up some better games. but the bulk of the top games will still be on sky

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#35 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:37 PM

Were BT even in the auction for the last EPL rights? Sky bid way over the odds for the EPL for some unknown reason. Even if BT were in they don't have Sky's financial clout so were never serious contenders for the big soccer package that Sky have.

rldfsignature.jpg

#36 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:08 PM

BT where not in the auction for the last EPL rights.this (2013-2016) is their first time involved. BT could quite easily have ended up with all the packages.

BT Profit after tax for the year was £2,091m. they are fast approaching £1b spent on sporting rights. the difference between BT and the likes of ESPN/SETANTA is that they can do bundles like SKY

Edited by Cherry and White, 07 July 2013 - 05:11 PM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#37 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,598 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:18 PM

Mines only gone up £1.75,seems fair enough to me.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#38 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,879 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

BT where not in the auction for the last EPL rights.this (2013-2016) is their first time involved. BT could quite easily have ended up with all the packages.

BT Profit after tax for the year was £2,091m. they are fast approaching £1b spent on sporting rights. the difference between BT and the likes of ESPN/SETANTA is that they can do bundles like SKY

So the argument that Sky upped their bid to a ridiculous amount to beat off BT doesn't hold any water then.

rldfsignature.jpg

#39 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,413 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

if sky had not upped their bid then they would have lost out to BT.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#40 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

You don't have to subscribe to any Sky channels at all to have Premier. Apparently they provide you with a card for the box if you dont have one.

That's correct. My last house already had a sky dish installed, so I got a box from freecycle and a card from PS.

Couldn't record though without a sky subscription

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users