Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Promoting the Game

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

Why does Rugby League struggle so badly to promote the game as a spectacle?

I have sometimes watched the other code and appreciated some aspects of its game.

After watching the British and Ireland Lions tour games V Oz something is wrong, these games have been dire and I have nearly turned off the TV several times watching them.

Why can we not sell our game?

Its a dynamic game with far more to offer on the field than Union.

Is it bad management at the top? the geographical base of the game?

Edited by AndyCapp, 06 July 2013 - 11:50 AM.

#2 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Win the World Cup.

It's time to park the camels.

2014 SQL League Leader

2014 SQL Grand Stupid Champion

#3 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:11 PM

Fans turning up to the Rugby World Cup games will help

#4 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:16 PM

The game needs better marketing to bring the believers to the game and the non believers to have a look.

Edited by AndyCapp, 06 July 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#5 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

I think that winning the world cup would work wonders.  UK team winning the on national TV when the soccer and RU teams failed so miserablyt at their respective world cups would be a great way to promote the game. Of course that is easier said than done.

I think attendances will be decent which could also send a positive message about the world wide spread of the game.

#6 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,207 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:47 PM

I travelled from Leeds to Salisbury on the train on Tuesday, I bought LE and RLW in Smiths in Leeds, I left LE on the train in Bristol (it was going on to Plymouth) and RLW on the train in Salisbury, it was going on to Portsmouth.  I'm hoping someone bored with their journey picked them up and read them and perhaps ignited a spark on interest. Well I can hope!  Winning the World Cup on national TV would do wonders for our game IMO. TBH I reckon Jonny's drop goal damaged our game immeasurably.  I didn't think so at the time but I think so now!

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#7 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,594 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

I travelled from Leeds to Salisbury on the train on Tuesday, I bought LE and RLW in Smiths in Leeds, I left LE on the train in Bristol (it was going on to Plymouth) and RLW on the train in Salisbury, it was going on to Portsmouth.  I'm hoping someone bored with their journey picked them up and read them and perhaps ignited a spark on interest. Well I can hope!  Winning the World Cup on national TV would do wonders for our game IMO. TBH I reckon Jonny's drop goal damaged our game immeasurably.  I didn't think so at the time but I think so now!

I think you are right about the drop goal and even ferrygate, dwarf throwing gate and royal spouse kissing woman in bar gate added to a dismal playing performance in the last RUWC failed to dent the aura and love affair with the England RU team that that drop goal started.

#8 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:34 PM

Why does Rugby League struggle so badly to promote the game as a spectacle?
I have sometimes watched the other code and appreciated some aspects of its game.

After watching the British and Ireland Lions tour games V Oz something is wrong, these games have been dire and I have nearly turned off the TV several times watching them.

Why can we not sell our game?
Its a dynamic game with far more to offer on the field than Union.
Is it bad management at the top? the geographical base of the game?

It's the peope that run the game for me, I can remember being a mad 9 year old football fan when I just happened to stumble across the 1990 ashes test match at wembley and remember being blown away by the skills of players like ellery Hanley, Martin offiah, Gary schoefield etc. The matches at wembley, old Trafford and elland road had crowds of 55,000, 46,000 and 35,000 plus millions watching on BBC grandstand but the ashes are no more, just think how big these games could have been today if they had stuck with them?

#9 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,038 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:36 PM

A vast majority of professional and semi professional clubs are very poor at match day maketing. The RFL are poor, but getting better at promoting international game's.

The clubs need to let people know when they are playing at home. who they are playing and KO times for starters.

#10 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 02:47 PM

In the UK the media creates the hype, hence why rubbish like te Xfactor is so popular. It is therefore needed that the RFL start kissing up to the media as much as possible.

Take Cheryl Cole, she was media darling and couldn't do wrong. Them for some reason the media turned on her and her stocks fell. The same with Robbie Williams, although Gary Barlow has recently got him back on track.

Edited by markleeds, 06 July 2013 - 04:51 PM.

#11 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,086 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:18 PM

It's the peope that run the game for me, I can remember being a mad 9 year old football fan when I just happened to stumble across the 1990 ashes test match at wembley and remember being blown away by the skills of players like ellery Hanley, Martin offiah, Gary schoefield etc. The matches at wembley, old Trafford and elland road had crowds of 55,000, 46,000 and 35,000 plus millions watching on BBC grandstand but the ashes are no more, just think how big these games could have been today if they had stuck with them?

10 years later the Ashes were still around. They shrunk in size.
Maybe the early 90's was the peak.

#12 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,207 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

If it was the peak, why was it the peak?  What's different now from then?  The only things I can think of is Super League, and Union going honest, something seems to have killed the enthusiasm nationally for our game dead.  Hanley, Davies, Schofield, Edwards, (little) Andy Gregory, were almost household names. Martin Offiah still is.  We have no one today to match them for being national personalities. Only Sinfield and possibly Tomkins come close.  I've absolutely no idea how to retrieve the situation except a success, or at least a heroic failure this autumn.  With our Aussie based players plus Tomkins and possibly Sinfield we have a greater chance than we've had since 1995. Hopefully Mcnamara won't fcuk it up.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#13 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 4,900 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

The game in the UK will always struggle until the London-based media is brought on board. No matter how much marketing you do, unless the media train gets involved, we'll still struggle to attract the exposure, sponsorship and attraction that the likes of RU, football and cricket attract. 

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#14 Saint Until I Die

Saint Until I Die
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 04:58 PM

For me, the single biggest tragedy in Rugby League is the fact that we no longer have tours to Australia. Unfortunately, I'm not old enough to have seen any of them, but when you look at the attention and media coverage that the Lions, and from all four countries at that has generated, just think of the benefits that they would have on Rugby League in general. I appreciate that they would need some sorting out, and it may take a while to organise, but a Great Britain tour of Australia every four years or so would do so much for the game in this country. Some of the tales and stories that are told by those who experienced them, even now, and the esteem that they are held in proves just how important they actually were, and it's something that would receive the backing of all Rugby League fans, and sport fans in general.

Edited by Saint Until I Die, 06 July 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#15 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:04 PM

For me, the single biggest tragedy in Rugby League is the fact that we no longer have tours to Australia. Unfortunately, I'm not old enough to have seen any of them, but when you look at the attention and media coverage that the Lions, and from all four countries at that has generated, just think of the benefits that they would have on Rugby League in general. I appreciate that they would need some sorting out, and it may take a while to organise, but a Great Britain tour of Australia every four years or so would do so much for the game in this country. Some of the tales and stories that are told by those who experienced them, even now, and the esteem that they are held in proves just how important they actually were, and it's something that would receive the backing of all Rugby League fans, and sport fans in general.

England will be on tour in Australia and New Zealand next year for the Four Nations. We might not have 3 match test series, and it might not be a GB team, but we still tour down under.

#16 Saint Until I Die

Saint Until I Die
  • Players
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:12 PM

England will be on tour in Australia and New Zealand next year for the Four Nations. We might not have 3 match test series, and it might not be a GB team, but we still tour down under.

Personally, I think that we should have a concept similar to that of the British & Irish Lions, and that's what I was getting at. Doesn't have to be every year, but if we could have a proper tour with midweek fixtures included, I think the benefits would be huge.

#17 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

Why not a combined England and French side tour to Aus/NZ?

#18 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

The tours you wax lyrical about lasted approximately six weeks and included more games against club and provincial teams than they did Tests. There's no way we could return to those days whilst we still play the game in summer. Whether we like it or not 13th man is right. Basically tours are going to be a Test series or a four nations tournament. The days of six week long tours involving games against non Test teams are a thing of the past unless there's a radical change of heart and a return to winter for the game in Britain. Even the proposed GB tour in 2015 is only for a two Test series against both Australia and the Kiwis.

Edited by deluded pom?, 06 July 2013 - 05:33 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#19 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

From 82' until 94' the ashes was every 2 years, the super league war down under killed it IMO.

#20 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,059 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

If it was the peak, why was it the peak? What's different now from then? The only things I can think of is Super League, and Union going honest, something seems to have killed the enthusiasm nationally for our game dead. Hanley, Davies, Schofield, Edwards, (little) Andy Gregory, were almost household names. Martin Offiah still is. We have no one today to match them for being national personalities. Only Sinfield and possibly Tomkins come close. I've absolutely no idea how to retrieve the situation except a success, or at least a heroic failure this autumn. With our Aussie based players plus Tomkins and possibly Sinfield we have a greater chance than we've had since 1995. Hopefully Mcnamara won't fcuk it up.

In the early 90s was part of the reason other clubs fans got fed up watching Wigan win everything so threw their support behind the GB team. In a sort of if you cant beat them join them way. Only saying that as I noticed on a graph Padge put up the other day that there seemed to be a severe dip in league attendances as the crowds for GB games increased