Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Canada v USA

Colonial Cup Game 1

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

Unconfirmed score line was Canada 36 v USA 20. The crowd figure was put at 7,000+ again unconfirmed.

rldfsignature.jpg

#2 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 409 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

Lovely stuff! Great crowd, but that doesn't surprise me with Canada anymore.

#3 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:04 AM

36-20 it was to canada, it is a great crowd, nearly the same as england v the exiles

#4 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:08 AM

Good win for the Candians - sure they'll enjoy a win over the Americans. A lot of hard work appears to be going on over there, so it's good to see them getting their rewards on and off the pitch.

#5 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:19 AM

Based on the pics I have seen on twitter, that crowd figure seems very fair. It looked pretty full(ish) from what I saw.
Hope the highlights are on Premier?

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#6 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

Hope the highlights are on Premier?

Hopefully they will. I know they're showing highlights of the Police, Student and Womens WC's in a couple of weeks time.

#7 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,588 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

What sort of team did the US put out? Was it just AMNRL players again?
Posted Image

#8 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

Akarika Dawn was selected as the token USARL representative. The rest were AMNRL players.

rldfsignature.jpg

#9 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:11 AM

just the one from usarl me thinks...

Mike Cartwright (New York Knights)

Bryan Confer (Aston Bulls)

Curtis Cunz (Connecticut Wildcats)

Akarika Dawn (Jacksonville Axemen)

Kristian Freed (Connecticut Wildcats)

Pete Jordan (New York Knights)

Andrew Kneisly (Aston Bulls)

Vai Notoa (Hawaiian Chiefs)

Mark Offerdahl (Connecticut Wildcats)

Damien O’Malveney (Southampton Dragons)

Craig Priestly (Southampton Dragons)

Justin Ripley (New York Knights)

Ben Sadgrove (New York Knights)

Mike Schachter (Connecticut Wildcats)

Dennis Schmeiler (Connecticut Wildcats)

Salesi Tongamoa (Connecticut Wildcats)

Matt Walsh (Connecticut Wildcats)

Taylor Welch (Connecticut Wildcats)

#10 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

I'm sure the Canadians like beating the Yanks as much as we (England) like beating the Aussies. What better way to enthuse a big crowd than a win against the old enemy. I can see the Colonial Cup heading north of the border in 2013.

Edited by deluded pom?, 07 July 2013 - 11:14 AM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#11 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

Canada along with Jamaica have to be the recent success story in the devolpment of international rugby league, both domestically and internationally. Developing leagues in Ontario and British Columbia and a international calendar with a loyal and growing following.

#12 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,624 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

Canada along with Jamaica have to be the recent success story in the devolpment of international rugby league, both domestically and internationally. Developing leagues in Ontario and British Columbia and a international calendar with a loyal and growing following.

Totally agree. It's refreshing reading the comments of fans on twitter etc who just enjoy the game for what it is.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#13 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:07 PM

Totally agree. It's refreshing reading the comments of fans on twitter etc who just enjoy the game for what it is.

There are so many positives for the development of rugby league in Canada. Canada is a rich industrial developed country with a large population and a sports mad public, a bit like Australia. It also has a large British expat population and French speaking population which surely would be a positive for any british and French teams touring.

#14 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

The French played the previous Canadian RL incarnation in the eighties in Canada.

rldfsignature.jpg

#15 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,892 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

It shows that the game is making expansionary strides in it's international spread that such a fixture takes place and the ones in eastern Europe, Ukraine, Poland, Chech Republic, Serbia, Russia, Scandanavia and yes Jamaica are proof positive of the world wide appeal of our game.

Small beginnings in many places but beginnings nevertheless. The Canadian game, from a much later start date, has  rapidly eclipsed the USA and I can see them being the areas representative in the next World Cup if the Yanks don't heal their wounds and make better progress.

#16 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

Let's just hope and pray there isn't a split in Canadian rugby league like in the US.

#17 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

Do Canada, the US and Jamaica compete in a tri-nations competition? Would be great to also see rugby league developed in Latin American countries like Cuba, brazil, Argentina etc.

#18 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:24 PM

Do Canada, the US and Jamaica compete in a tri-nations competition? Would be great to also see rugby league developed in Latin American countries like Cuba, brazil, Argentina etc.

There's no Tri Series currently. The Canadians play the Jamaicans in a one off annual game as part of Toronto's Carribean weekend and they also play the Americans annually for the Colonial Cup which, I believe, has been expanded to a three game series for the first time this year. The Jamaicans played the USA for two consecutive years for the Atlantic Cup in 2009 and 2010. Other than the game at the 2013 WC qualifying tournament they haven't met since. The Jamaicans have always played these games away.

Edited by deluded pom?, 07 July 2013 - 01:25 PM.

rldfsignature.jpg

#19 brooza

brooza
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

Akarika Dawn was selected as the token USARL representative. The rest were AMNRL players.

He's been playing for the Tomahawks for a while and just moved back to Jacksonville. A potentially good sign though

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#20 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:46 PM

He's been playing for the Tomahawks for a while and just moved back to Jacksonville. A potentially good sign though

He was playing for the Tomahawks but wasn't actually playing for a domestic club team. I think he was registered with a team that never ever played a game but it was to justify his selection.

rldfsignature.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users