Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Canada v USA

Colonial Cup Game 1

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#21 brooza

brooza
  • 4,255 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

He was playing for the Tomahawks but wasn't actually playing for a domestic club team. I think he was registered with a team that never ever played a game but it was to justify his selection.

He's apparently with the Axemen now though https://twitter.com/...890996674760705

They picked 1 yesterday. A guy who has been on their roster a while but recently returned to the Axemen

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#22 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:10 PM

True but he had to leave the Axemen once the rift happened to continue playing for the Tomahawks. To accommodate him they (the AMNRL) created a fictitious team that never played a match. Apple Pope was registered for a real AMNRL team but only ever played RL for the Tomahawks for a couple of seasons before his return to Jax. So the national team's captain didn't play any games of RL other than international matches!

rldfsignature.jpg

#23 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

Things looking good in Canada. I often watch their videos on YouTube, always impressed with the crowd who seem to like RL and turn out in the thousands to go to the matches. Also having Coors Light as a sponsor can't do any harm, I imagine that's national if not multi-national. Just hope they can continue to grow and be in contention for the next RLWC.

Did I read that RL has only been in Canada for 3 years? Think I saw it on twitter..

It's time to park the camels.

#24 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

Did I read that RL has only been in Canada for 3 years? Think I saw it on twitter..

The current governing body, Canada Rugby League, was set up in 2010. RL has been seen in Canada before that through the 80s and 90s. I think they played in the World Sevens mid 90s, and they competed in the 2000 Emerging Nations Tournament, but it all went quiet after that until the current body was set up.

#25 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:08 AM

The current governing body, Canada Rugby League, was set up in 2010. RL has been seen in Canada before that through the 80s and 90s. I think they played in the World Sevens mid 90s, and they competed in the 2000 Emerging Nations Tournament, but it all went quiet after that until the current body was set up.

I see, so it was re-established 3 years ago. Well good luck to them in the future, I'll certainly be keeping my eye on them.

#26 RLRatings

RLRatings
  • Players
  • 69 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

They first played in 1987, but that was a totally different set-up that lapsed during the 90s I think.
www.rugbyleagueratings.com - proving that Featherstone were bound to beat Cas, since 2011.

#27 Eddie Rombo

Eddie Rombo
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:41 PM

Wouldn't it be great if some Super League clubs and NRL sides sent some people over to help develop the game in Canada. If there already attracting crowds of that size there must  be a huge potential for the game over there. Perhaps Catalans could target Quebec, while other clubs each focus on a city or area each and help to train players and develop local leagues. 

Who knows in 5 to 10 years we may have a significant number of Canadian players at Super League clubs and another decent international team to compete with

#28 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

I'm pretty sure there's a SL club already with links to Canada RL but cant remember who - pretty sure it was a Yorkshire club, Hull KR?

#29 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,612 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:31 PM

I'm pretty sure there's a SL club already with links to Canada RL but cant remember who - pretty sure it was a Yorkshire club, Hull KR?

Hull FC - a couple of lads came over to train with them for 6 weeks last year.

http://rugby.pngfact...on-magical.html

#30 ParraEelsNRL

ParraEelsNRL
  • Coach
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

http://www.canadarug...p?pageid=100001

LIONS INTRODUCE RUGBY LEAGUE TO CANADA

Canada’s first taste of Rugby League was thanks to the early Great Britain touring squad.

The 1928 Great Britain Lions touring squad of Australasia, was one of the most successful by a Northern Hemisphere team with the side only losing five of their twenty-four tour matches, and securing both test series against Australia and New Zealand.  Kicking off the test part of the tour in Brisbane, Great Britain were too strong for the Australian’s recording a 15 – 12 victory at the Showground.  Heading south, Great Britain proceeded to make history, by holding the Australian’s to nil for the only time ever on home soil before the Kangaroos bounced back in the final test.

NOVA SCOTIA RUGBY UNION TRY THEIR HANDS AT LEAGUE

To fully understand the scenarios that lead to Rugby League’s introduction and eventual failure in Nova Scotia, it is important to understand the sporting scene in Canada at the time.

In the early 1900’s, Rugby Union, or English Rugby, as it was known back then was the dominant sport in Canada, however during the 1930’s the sport started to suffer an image problem with the general public, especially in Nova Scotia.

Canadian Football, which ironically enough was formed from Rugby Union, was growing in popularity, particularly in Halifax, with English Rugby suffering declining support and playing number.

This decline was only intensified following the second World War, with Canadian Football, enjoying a massive boost in popularity.  Realising that their sport was on the decline, the Nova Scotia Rugby Union held crisis meetings in 1944 to try to reverse the trend.

Amazingly one of the options looked at by the Nova Scotia Rugby Union (NSRU) was converting from Rugby Union rules to Rugby League rules.  Whilst support for the concept was strong, the lack of a rule book ruled out this option for the 1945 season.

The concept of swapping rules was rehashed in 1946, and gained official support on September 27, 1946.

Link has a little more info.

#31 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:12 PM

Things looking good in Canada. I often watch their videos on YouTube, always impressed with the crowd who seem to like RL and turn out in the thousands to go to the matches. Also having Coors Light as a sponsor can't do any harm, I imagine that's national if not multi-national. Just hope they can continue to grow and be in contention for the next RLWC.

The current shirt sponsors are Fosters.

rldfsignature.jpg

#32 YCKonstantine

YCKonstantine
  • Coach
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

Bottom left of the videos is Coors Light, I assume that's a sponsor and they've not just put it there for the laugh. :)

#33 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

Bottom left of the videos is Coors Light, I assume that's a sponsor and they've not just put it there for the laugh. :)

A bit of a conflict of interest though ;)

rldfsignature.jpg

#34 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:36 PM

The write up from the CRL website http://www.canadarug...le.php?id=10228

rldfsignature.jpg

#35 Rascal Bongo Stork

Rascal Bongo Stork
  • Coach
  • 438 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:40 PM

nowt to do with rugby but Fosters in Canada is brewed by Molson who are half of Molson-Coors so same sponsor different brand

#36 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

nowt to do with rugby but Fosters in Canada is brewed by Molson who are half of Molson-Coors so same sponsor different brand

Thanks for clearing that up RBS ;)

rldfsignature.jpg

#37 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 390 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

7k is a great crowd! We should send England out there in the off season and try and build on this.

#38 Big Picture

Big Picture
  • Coach
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

In the early 1900’s, Rugby Union, or English Rugby, as it was known back then was the dominant sport in Canada

This statement is incorrect.  The sport was not Rugby Union, it was Canadian Rugby Football, a much improved version of the game.

The game which Earl Grey's famous Cup was given to was a ball-control version of rugby which had no rucks, no mauls, no fair catches, no throw-ins and even no scrums.  After a tackle, the teams got back on side and lined up with the forwards of the offensive team on the line of scrimmage.  The middle three linked arms as if packing down, and the middle one heeled the ball back into play.  There was no fair catch on kicks in general play, instead the offside members of the kicking team had to give the returner 5 yards until he gained possession.  Kicks that went in-goal had to be run out, or the attacking team scored one point and the defending team had to kick-out from the 25 yard line.  There was a 5-minute sin-bin rule for serious infractions too, but whether this was adopted from hockey into football or vice-versa I couldn't say.

These parallels mean that rugby league is to all intents and purposes an improved version of that original Canadian game.  It's even possible that some of these innovations made their way into RL from Canada: Frank Cosentino's book Canadian Football: The Grey Cup Years documents at least one case of a former Northern Union player who played in the IRFU in those early days.  Canadians like me who grew up with the CFL will instantly recognize the parrallels between RL and the so-called "Canadian" football we have here.

#39 Cherry and White

Cherry and White
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:26 PM

pictures

HOLD ON TIGHT TO YOUR DREAM.

liverpool fc-rome 1977
wigan rl-wembley 1985
redsox-2004
GB RL-?????
Lancashire cricket 2011

#40 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:58 PM

is this true? its excellent if it is, a crowd of 7200 + is a very good crowd for a country that has only played RL for 3 years, England only got 7900 ish to watch the exiles match,

what are we doing wrong??????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users