TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Smug Inverdale 'The Sexist' in Hot Water

LOL

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#1 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

Sometimes the A**clown is too slimy and smug for his own good. Glad his big mouth has got him into trouble. :tongue:

http://www.independe...ay-8693590.html

#2 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:50 AM

We(taxpayers) pay this clowns wages.

#3 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:58 AM

We(taxpayers) pay this clowns wages.

Was just a horrible comment to make about someone who has just achieved a lifetime's ambition. It takes us back to the 1960s.

#4 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,974 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

Was just a horrible comment to make about someone who has just achieved a lifetime's ambition. It takes us back to the 1960s.

He obliviously doesn't have any mirrors at home, a face fit for radio.

#5 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,519 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

I'm no friend of this joker but I was under the impression he had actually said it to her face after the game. I think the article in th independent is OTT. Did Clare Balding taking the pee out of that jockeys teeth mean there was some sort of sexual politics agenda going on? .
And why do some women seem to think it is only females that are judged on how they look? Men are pressured to look and act certain ways and if you don't made to feel a failure.
An insensitive comment for sure but not as bad as some are making out.

#6 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

He's a slimy ###### and I hope they throw the book at him. If only for not appreciating the irony of him criticising someone's looks.

And John, he didn't say it to her face as far as I'm aware. As he wouldn't.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#7 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:18 PM

I'm no friend of this joker but I was under the impression he had actually said it to her face after the game. I think the article in th independent is OTT. Did Clare Balding taking the pee out of that jockeys teeth mean there was some sort of sexual politics agenda going on? .
And why do some women seem to think it is only females that are judged on how they look? Men are pressured to look and act certain ways and if you don't made to feel a failure.
An insensitive comment for sure but not as bad as some are making out.

It's Inverdale. I am glad the oily g*t is squirming on this. He makes awful attempts to sound 'bloke-ish' and friend to the sports stars. This one has bitten him on the backside. He deserves all the flak he gets.

#8 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,519 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

He's a slimy ###### and I hope they throw the book at him. If only for not appreciating the irony of him criticising someone's looks.

And John, he didn't say it to her face as far as I'm aware. As he wouldn't.

The impression I got was that she won the game, he thrust a mic in her face and proceeded to say she was no looker but well done for winning. But I think he was (very badly perhaps) trying to put the case that because she might not be beautiful (I have no idea who she is) she perhaps had to try harder to succeed. ..ie knowing she wouldn't make money from being average yet attractive like the other woman. ...Sharapova?
And why is the woman who wrote the indie article calling for Clare Balding? I assume she is fine with her insulting men based on their physical appearance.

#9 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,519 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

It's Inverdale. I am glad the oily g*t is squirming on this. He makes awful attempts to sound 'bloke-ish' and friend to the sports stars. This one has bitten him on the backside. He deserves all the flak he gets.

I have no time for him but I can't agree he is the anti christ for once. A plonker perhaps. ...

#10 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,865 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:25 PM

The impression I got was that she won the game, he thrust a mic in her face and proceeded to say she was no looker but well done for winning. But I think he was (very badly perhaps) trying to put the case that because she might not be beautiful (I have no idea who she is) she perhaps had to try harder to succeed. ..ie knowing she wouldn't make money from being average yet attractive like the other woman. ...Sharapova?
And why is the woman who wrote the indie article calling for Clare Balding? I assume she is fine with her insulting men based on their physical appearance.

That was indeed the point he was making, in a particularly patronising and sexualising sort of way. But the comments were made pre-match, I believe in conversation with Lindsay Davenport.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,519 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

That was indeed the point he was making, in a particularly patronising and sexualising sort of way. But the comments were made pre-match, I believe in conversation with Lindsay Davenport.

But its probably true. If a young lad wanted to be a pop star and went to someone like Simon Cowell, chances are he might say, 'well you can sing great but you need to work on your image'. Its a fact that some people have to either change or compromise how they look/act to achieve success.
It's something I strongly disagree with but it is not a feminist issue.

#12 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

But its probably true. If a young lad wanted to be a pop star and went to someone like Simon Cowell, chances are he might say, 'well you can sing great but you need to work on your image'. Its a fact that some people have to either change or compromise how they look/act to achieve success.
It's something I strongly disagree with but it is not a feminist issue.

I am just enjoying him squirming - he has got away murder many times before. He did say that RL was the sport that 'no-one cares about' . Suppose he was just clumsily making a comment on the crowd at the Scotland RLWC match.

#13 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,519 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

Lol can't argue with that bit. :D

Except it was Martin Samuels that wrote that about RL.

Edited by Johnoco, 07 July 2013 - 12:43 PM.

#14 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,175 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:45 PM

Lol can't argue with that bit. :D

Except it was Martin Samuels that wrote that about RL.

Maybe but he also made horrible comments about amateur RL in the South (think it was caught on audio) and London Broncos.

#15 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 12:55 PM

Maybe but he also made horrible comments about amateur RL in the South (think it was caught on audio) and London Broncos.

Many northern RL fans and pundits are guilty of similar offences.

I'm not defending Inverdale, BTW. He's an unpleasant, oily creep.

Edited by tim2, 07 July 2013 - 12:56 PM.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#16 bedlam breakout

bedlam breakout
  • Coach
  • 740 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

no need to get upset,she will look fine after 12 pints at 2am in mustang sallys

the inside of a 3star halex table tennis ball smells much like you'd expect it to.

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,461 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

I think a fundamental point is that a lot of sports people, co-presenters and the general public think Inverdale is an oily weasel.  Combine that with a genuine repugnance at some of the comments, particularly online, about Bartoli's appearance and you have something of a perfect storm.

As it's a first offence he'll probably get away with crucifixion.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#18 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:17 PM

He's bang-to-rights on this one.

He may have had a point that some female tennis players do make more money from modelling contracts than from tennis. Something that probably does affect their game. Similar to David Beckham in roundball.

It would have been fair to say that she isn't the ideal model type. However the way he phrased it was utterly out-of-order.  I know comedians do it (and not just to female competitors - remember Peter Beardsley) but commentators shouldn't.

I don't know about Clare Balding's comment about jockey's teeth but it was directed at a group rather than an individual. Not necessarily a justification but it does make it different. 

#19 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

Inverdale certainly didn't make his remarks to her face, he mad them to a co-commentator on air. He would hardly say to her, "I wonder if her dad ever told her she was never going to be a looker"

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#20 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,519 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

Clare Balding was talking to the jockey who won the Grand National. Something like 'now you can afford to get your teeth fixed' or something. Very much speaking to an individual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users