LOL

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#21 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:31 PM

Clare Balding was talking to the jockey who won the Grand National. Something like 'now you can afford to get your teeth fixed' or something. Very much speaking to an individual.

But Balding may know of a number of Jockeys who have their teeth damaged through riding and have dental work on retirement. She was a jockey herself. It would be no different to a comment about Shaun Briscoe's damaged nose (which he may have surgery on at retirement). This is not a comment on whether they are 'lookers' or not. That is a chauvinistic bar room type comment.

Edited by Scubby, 07 July 2013 - 01:33 PM.

#22 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 507 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

Inverdale is an smug idiot, hope he does not get away with it

#23 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,161 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

He's bang-to-rights on this one.

He may have had a point that some female tennis players do make more money from modelling contracts than from tennis. Something that probably does affect their game. Similar to David Beckham in roundball.

It would have been fair to say that she isn't the ideal model type. However the way he phrased it was utterly out-of-order. I know comedians do it (and not just to female competitors - remember Peter Beardsley) but commentators shouldn't.

I don't know about Clare Balding's comment about jockey's teeth but it was directed at a group rather than an individual. Not necessarily a justification but it does make it different.

The difference with the Claire Balding one if its the one I remember is she obviously new him and did it to his face.

#24 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,368 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 01:59 PM

But Balding may know of a number of Jockeys who have their teeth damaged through riding and have dental work on retirement. She was a jockey herself. It would be no different to a comment about Shaun Briscoe's damaged nose (which he may have surgery on at retirement). This is not a comment on whether they are 'lookers' or not. That is a chauvinistic bar room type comment.

So it would be ok for a interviewer to watch The Pogues and say 'great stuff Shane but jesus sort your teeth out'?
It is still making a comment based on someone's appearance. Or is it only certain comments that we pick up on?

Nb I thought the furore over Clares comments were a storm in a teacup.

#25 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

So it would be ok for a interviewer to watch The Pogues and say 'great stuff Shane but jesus sort your teeth out'?
It is still making a comment based on someone's appearance. Or is it only certain comments that we pick up on?

Nb I thought the furore over Clares comments were a storm in a teacup.

If it was somebody who knew them well and knew why their teeth were damaged then yes. So, for example, if Terry O'Connor was interviewing Shaun Briscoe and he made a comment about getting his nose fixed then this would be more representative of CB and the Jockey.

The Oily one was making a sweeping generalisation of a Dad telling his daughter that she's no 'looker' so you best get your head down and work hard to succeed in life. Also it was someone he was making a judgement on and did not know. He makes continued efforts to be 'laddish' and 'one of the blokes' and it continually slaps him in the face.

#26 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,630 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:19 PM

At least no one on TRL Fans Forum ever makes comments about the personal appearance of our game's CEO

#27 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,608 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:45 PM

Inverdale suggested her performance was due to her looks (or lack of in his judgement).  Claire said the jockey had bad teeth with no reference to performance.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#28 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,368 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:54 PM

Inverdale suggested her performance was due to her looks (or lack of in his judgement). Claire said the jockey had bad teeth with no reference to performance.

So its acceptable to comment on peoples physical appearance as long as it doesn't relate to their performance?

#29 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,687 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

Now that Betty Stove; she was a looker.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#30 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,282 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:18 PM

I'm no friend of this joker but I was under the impression he had actually said it to her face after the game. I think the article in th independent is OTT. Did Clare Balding taking the pee out of that jockeys teeth mean there was some sort of sexual politics agenda going on? .
And why do some women seem to think it is only females that are judged on how they look? Men are pressured to look and act certain ways and if you don't made to feel a failure.
An insensitive comment for sure but not as bad as some are making out.

balding's comments were crass and she was rightly criticised for it

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#31 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,368 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:33 PM

balding's comments were crass and she was rightly criticised for it

The writer of the article is calling for her to replace Inverdale. How is it fine for her to make personal comments but not a man?
IMO there was nothing wrong with her comments anyway, it was just a bit of banter but I don't see why she is ok yet he is an example of institutional sexism or some such theory.

Edited by Johnoco, 07 July 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#32 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:01 PM

The writer of the article is calling for her to replace Inverdale. How is it fine for her to make personal comments but not a man?
IMO there was nothing wrong with her comments anyway, it was just a bit of banter but I don't see why she is ok yet he is an example of institutional sexism or some such theory.

Cos it's Inverdale :ph34r:  He's smug, oily and we like seeing him squirm. :tongue:

#33 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,368 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:15 PM

Cos it's Inverdale :ph34r: He's smug, oily and we like seeing him squirm. :tongue:

Can't argue with that.

#34 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,733 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

Inverdale is an smug idiot, hope he does not get away with it

well he presented the highlights show last night so I assume he has.

Its hard to understand where he was going with it and against the backdrop of the sexism and abuse that occured atvthe BBC over the years, you'd think they want to stamp on things like this.

#35 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,586 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:39 AM

For a man with a face like a burst leather armchair to criticise someone who had just become Wimbledon Champion is oafish in the extreme. I thought Bartoli handled it well, when she heard about it.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#36 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,368 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

well he presented the highlights show last night so I assume he has.

Its hard to understand where he was going with it and against the backdrop of the sexism and abuse that occured atvthe BBC over the years, you'd think they want to stamp on things like this.

If the BBC is so sexist etc etc how come someone like Clare Balding is one of their main presenters and actually was the main anchor for the Olympics? Not forgetting that a big proportion of their big weekend stars are gay?
How do they get anywhere given the enormous discrimination they face?
There clearly isn't that much.

#37 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,282 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

it isn't

also inverdale happened to be on air when Raoul Moat was killing people and blew a copper's face off: he described it as like watching midsomer murders.

Inverdale has form for being a #### broadcaster.

Keeping it local

#38 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,282 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

Different.

The person you are taking about could do something about his weight.

I doubt there is very little this kid could do about her looks.

Anyway, Inverdale must have very high standards, as she is far from the worst looking tennis player I have ever seen.

comments about Wood's appearance happen on here frequently

what a person looks like, for whatever reason is irrelevant.

Keeping it local

#39 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,282 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:58 PM

Maybe so, but, as I said, and I am not going to apologise for it, it is easier to lose some weight, than it is to change your facial features.

You can moralise all you like about that comment, but you cannot argue against the truth in it.

Thanks.

but what on earth is the relevance of what somebody looks like? Whether it's their body mass or their facial features? There seems to be for some reason a tendency to gratuitously invoke Wood's weight whenever discussions about his role in rugby league arise.

nobody is asking you to apologise, don't be so precious.

Keeping it local

#40 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,779 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:12 PM

but what on earth is the relevance of what somebody looks like? Whether it's their body mass or their facial features? There seems to be for some reason a tendency to gratuitously invoke Wood's weight whenever discussions about his role in rugby league arise.

nobody is asking you to apologise, don't be so precious.

Agree - I always think if you need to bring up Nigel Wood's weight in an argument, then you musn't have much of a point to begin with. Childish stuff.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users