TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Smug Inverdale 'The Sexist' in Hot Water

LOL

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#41 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:17 PM

I find a lot of this thread fairly depressing.  Let me first say I don't have an issue with Inverdale, although I get why some people do.  My dad has actually met him and thought he was an alright bloke.  Moreover, Inverdale's style is quite casual and I can see how what he said slipped out as it is something which you might easily say to your mates etc..so, just to be clear, I don't dislike Inverdale and don't think he's some frightful monster..BUT, I find what he said, when he said it to be so out of order as to be gross misconduct.

I'm the father of a ten year old girl and it is more and more obvious to me how women are viewed by themselves, society etc as objects in a way which men basically aren't.  That comment belongs in the stone age and it's comments like that which perpetuate the idea to young girls that their physical appearance is as important as anything else.

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#42 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 05:44 PM

What about comments that make young lads act and behave in a certain way?ie to conform to what is acceptable
All the programmes like TOWIE or whatever telling young guys they have to look like this or that to be cool. When you get older if you haven't got a flash car and big house you are deemed a loser...etc etc

Pressure exists for men and with little advice How to deal with it. I don't buy the feminist agenda being peddled that women are helpless victims in all this.

Edited by Johnoco, 08 July 2013 - 05:50 PM.

#43 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

What about comments that make young lads act and behave in a certain way?ie to conform to what is acceptable
All the programmes like TOWIE or whatever telling young guys they have to look like this or that to be cool. When you get older if you haven't got a flash car and big house you are deemed a loser...etc etc

Pressure exists for men and with little advice How to deal with it. I don't buy the feminist agenda being peddled that women are helpless victims in all this.

Programmes like that probably do, but on the whole boys/men are not discussed in terms of what they look like, certainly not within sports programmes and if they are it is a tiny percentage of the time.  I'm not sure anybody has commented on the fact that Andy Murray is no oil painting, certainly not in the lead up to the final.

I actually think women can be as bad if not worse than many men in encouraging other women/girls to consider their looks rather than their what they are about more generally, but that is a result of they themselves being encouraged to think like that.  Look at those awful women's magazines!

Not so long ago a female colleague of mine was telling me what a good role model she thought Jordan was.  FFS why would anybody want their child to grow up like her?

The other day my daughter had to a school project about a famous person and I was trying to think of a woman who wasn't a stereotypical female like Florence Nightingale or an actress/singer and I was struggling off the top of my head.  

I want my daughter to grow up and become who she is able to be and not be constrained by how she thinks she should look and behave.  I don't see lads in the school playground fretting over how they look whereas you can certainly see a lot of girls who are obsessed by what they look like.

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#44 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

My Mate Kevin was once within tw**ting range of Inverdale, he decided not to and now lives with the regret every day of his life.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#45 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,666 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:11 PM

Another ridiculous comment from the guy that just can't grasp the concept of irony.

Do you not find it ironic in that you call me precious, yet you are just as precious in the opposite direction?

This whole thread is about the perception of people's bodies. Is this another one that you think should be closed down due to the fact that it doesn't fit your politically correct notion of, well, everything?

no I dont find it ironic

the whole thread is about people making value judgements based onthe appearance of  peoples' bodies

political correctness has nothing to do with it it's a crass unreconstructed oaf thing

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 08 July 2013 - 08:11 PM.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#46 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,666 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:12 PM

My Mate Kevin was once within tw**ting range of Inverdale, he decided not to and now lives with the regret every day of his life.

and so he should

Keeping it local

#47 Bearman

Bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

and so he should

Yes, I take great delight in reminding him of how he let us all down.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#48 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,666 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

these moments come rarely

Keeping it local

#49 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

Me too, I'm afraid - I was at Wimbledon and he came into the court to watch and sat one seat away. My wife would never have forgiven me if I'd created the scene that I desperately wanted to create.

North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#50 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,666 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

Me too, I'm afraid - I was at Wimbledon and he came into the court to watch and sat one seat away. My wife would never have forgiven me if I'd created the scene that I desperately wanted to create.

I hope you can live with yourself
Keeping it local

#51 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:41 PM

If the BBC is so sexist etc etc how come someone like Clare Balding is one of their main presenters and actually was the main anchor for the Olympics? Not forgetting that a big proportion of their big weekend stars are gay?
How do they get anywhere given the enormous discrimination they face?
There clearly isn't that much.

I am referring to the sexual abuse that has taken place by some BBC employees, sometimes on their premises.

You'd think they'd be very careful about any kind of sexism.

#52 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,462 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:57 AM

I've actually walked past Inverdale at Richmond rugby union club and, to my lasting shame, didn't so much as fart in his general direction.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#53 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

I don't like Inverdale but I'm not sure I would do anything to hurt him or insult him to his face. Perhaps I'm what Franksy would call a PC caped crusader but what some people are hinting at just doesn't seem right to me. 

As for his comments, unsurprising coming from Inverdale who always seems like he doesn't quite know what to say next when he is broadcasting live. I do hope that he is reprimanded by the BBC over this (probably sent on a training course). It's not right but sportsmen and women are judged by their looks more and more these days. Many make a lucrative living out of their looks and image (Sharapova, Beckham) and sports also take advantage in their marketing (Football, RL and RU, cycling to name a few). As slowdive pointed out, young people are pressurised to look good far more than we were when we were growing up and its a problem that is exacerbated by the media.

Fides invicta triumphat

#54 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,666 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

I don't like Inverdale but I'm not sure I would do anything to hurt him or insult him to his face. Perhaps I'm what Franksy would call a PC caped crusader but what some people are hinting at just doesn't seem right to me.

As for his comments, unsurprising coming from Inverdale who always seems like he doesn't quite know what to say next when he is broadcasting live. I do hope that he is reprimanded by the BBC over this (probably sent on a training course). It's not right but sportsmen and women are judged by their looks more and more these days. Many make a lucrative living out of their looks and image (Sharapova, Beckham) and sports also take advantage in their marketing (Football, RL and RU, cycling to name a few). As slowdive pointed out, young people are pressurised to look good far more than we were when we were growing up and its a problem that is exacerbated by the media.

Mate I don't think anyone would really give the oily one a slap
Keeping it local

#55 tim2

tim2
  • Coach
  • 8,379 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:55 AM

No, but I should have asked him to justify why he is so condescending about rugby league. He makes his living largely being paid by public money so he has a responsibility in what he says. I wonder if anyone has ever taken him to task directly - it would be interesting to know. I suspect he brushes it off like he will with this indiscretion. It's not as bad as Gray/Keys on Sky but you would have thought everyone since then would be ultra careful.
North Derbyshire Chargers - join the stampede

Marathon in 2015 - the hard work starts now

#56 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,152 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:56 AM

A stamp on the face though...  And it was a fly-half as well, not a forward.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#57 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,666 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

A stamp on the face though... And it was a fly-half as well, not a forward.

Done with rugby league studs obviously
Keeping it local

#58 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,666 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

No, but I should have asked him to justify why he is so condescending about rugby league. He makes his living largely being paid by public money so he has a responsibility in what he says. I wonder if anyone has ever taken him to task directly - it would be interesting to know. I suspect he brushes it off like he will with this indiscretion. It's not as bad as Gray/Keys on Sky but you would have thought everyone since then would be ultra careful.

Oh aye
Keeping it local

#59 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,527 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 10:35 AM

Programmes like that probably do, but on the whole boys/men are not discussed in terms of what they look like, certainly not within sports programmes and if they are it is a tiny percentage of the time.  I'm not sure anybody has commented on the fact that Andy Murray is no oil painting, certainly not in the lead up to the final.

I actually think women can be as bad if not worse than many men in encouraging other women/girls to consider their looks rather than their what they are about more generally, but that is a result of they themselves being encouraged to think like that.  Look at those awful women's magazines!

Not so long ago a female colleague of mine was telling me what a good role model she thought Jordan was.  FFS why would anybody want their child to grow up like her?

The other day my daughter had to a school project about a famous person and I was trying to think of a woman who wasn't a stereotypical female like Florence Nightingale or an actress/singer and I was struggling off the top of my head.  

I want my daughter to grow up and become who she is able to be and not be constrained by how she thinks she should look and behave.  I don't see lads in the school playground fretting over how they look whereas you can certainly see a lot of girls who are obsessed by what they look like.

I also have a young daughter and before her two lads and the approach say,  to education is quite marked in my experience. Girls are somehow treated different, more sort of valued, if that's the right word. I don't mean schools don't care about boys but there seems to be a bit more of a 'just get on with it' treatment of boys. But then when lads grow up unable to express themselves it is blamed on the fact that they are male and its because men are cavemen.

And you will find boys fretting over what they look like, its just that they might not say so. I think anyone who claims women are not equal to men is either mad or doesn't actually know any women. I don't need some clown like Germaine Greer trying to tell me that, I know. All people like her do is line their pockets and create divisions where none exist.

#60 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 17,152 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

I also have a young daughter and before her two lads and the approach say,  to education is quite marked in my experience. Girls are somehow treated different, more sort of valued, if that's the right word. I don't mean schools don't care about boys but there seems to be a bit more of a 'just get on with it' treatment of boys. But then when lads grow up unable to express themselves it is blamed on the fact that they are male and its because men are cavemen.

And you will find boys fretting over what they look like, its just that they might not say so. I think anyone who claims women are not equal to men is either mad or doesn't actually know any women. I don't need some clown like Germaine Greer trying to tell me that, I know. All people like her do is line their pockets and create divisions where none exist.

During my law degree, we had one subject that covered a lot of feminist topics: "contemporary legal thought".  Utter waste of a subject as it was taught but could have been so much more as there were a lot of separate bits of it that were good.  Our main lecturer and my group tutor for that subject was one of the Greenham Common protesters and her view was that women should always be given the benefit of the doubt when there's an allegation they make against a man, her word being given more weight against his when there's a doubt about the truth.  She was serious when she said that women had been so oppressed through the centuries that they should be given special legal treatment over men.  She thought Maggie Thatcher was a traitor against all women for failing to make feminist rights a key part of her government programme.

I barely passed that subject as I railed strongly against having to write down or read any more Andrea Dworkin or Catharine MacKinnon quotes.  It was quite possibly the most frustrating and intellectually bankrupt course of education that I've ever done in my life.

As an aside, I had the same woman for my Land Law course and I ended up making a complaint to the head of the department as I just couldn't see how anyone could teach a subject such as land law when the view she expressed repeatedly was that property rights are theft from the common people.  I ended up simply not bothering to attend her tutorials and taking separate extra tuition getting the second highest individual course mark of my degree.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users