TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Smug Inverdale 'The Sexist' in Hot Water

LOL

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#61 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,638 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:18 AM

During my law degree, we had one subject that covered a lot of feminist topics: "contemporary legal thought". Utter waste of a subject as it was taught but could have been so much more as there were a lot of separate bits of it that were good. Our main lecturer and my group tutor for that subject was one of the Greenham Common protesters and her view was that women should always be given the benefit of the doubt when there's an allegation they make against a man, her word being given more weight against his when there's a doubt about the truth. She was serious when she said that women had been so oppressed through the centuries that they should be given special legal treatment over men. She thought Maggie Thatcher was a traitor against all women for failing to make feminist rights a key part of her government programme.

I barely passed that subject as I railed strongly against having to write down or read any more Andrea Dworkin or Catharine MacKinnon quotes. It was quite possibly the most frustrating and intellectually bankrupt course of education that I've ever done in my life.

As an aside, I had the same woman for my Land Law course and I ended up making a complaint to the head of the department as I just couldn't see how anyone could teach a subject such as land law when the view she expressed repeatedly was that property rights are theft from the common people. I ended up simply not bothering to attend her tutorials and taking separate extra tuition getting the second highest individual course mark of my degree.

Bloody hell
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#62 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

During my law degree, we had one subject that covered a lot of feminist topics: "contemporary legal thought". Utter waste of a subject as it was taught but could have been so much more as there were a lot of separate bits of it that were good. Our main lecturer and my group tutor for that subject was one of the Greenham Common protesters and her view was that women should always be given the benefit of the doubt when there's an allegation they make against a man, her word being given more weight against his when there's a doubt about the truth. She was serious when she said that women had been so oppressed through the centuries that they should be given special legal treatment over men. She thought Maggie Thatcher was a traitor against all women for failing to make feminist rights a key part of her government programme.

I barely passed that subject as I railed strongly against having to write down or read any more Andrea Dworkin or Catharine MacKinnon quotes. It was quite possibly the most frustrating and intellectually bankrupt course of education that I've ever done in my life.

As an aside, I had the same woman for my Land Law course and I ended up making a complaint to the head of the department as I just couldn't see how anyone could teach a subject such as land law when the view she expressed repeatedly was that property rights are theft from the common people. I ended up simply not bothering to attend her tutorials and taking separate extra tuition getting the second highest individual course mark of my degree.

I used to know a woman who was at Greenham Common. Being a young leftie I expressed an interest in going along by way of support. Horrified she told me absolutely no way as men were not welcome. I thought she was joking but was deadly serious. She said men could go near to provide food or money or whatever but not join in. I told her to jog on. Feminists are full of shot.

#63 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,419 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

I used to know a woman who was at Greenham Common. Being a young leftie I expressed an interest in going along by way of support. Horrified she told me absolutely no way as men were not welcome. I thought she was joking but was deadly serious. She said men could go near to provide food or money or whatever but not join in. I told her to jog on. Feminists are full of shot.

No, it's just some feminists who seem to wilfully misunderstand and/or misapply what is at heart a valid and worthy position/cause. See most religions and other political theories.

LUNEW.jpg

#64 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:22 PM

No, it's just some feminists who seem to wilfully misunderstand and/or misapply what is at heart a valid and worthy position/cause. See most religions and other political theories.

Quite.  You will always get a lunatic fringe who take things to a ridiculous degree.  In response to Johnoco suggesting that men and women are equal at the moment I would argue strongly that the facts clearly show this isn't the case.  Women are massively underrepresented in most top jobs  whether it's politics, business etc and women generally tend not to get the same levels of pay on average as men.  I too had a lecturer who had attended Greenham Common although I think she had moderated her views substantially by the time I bumped into her.  

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#65 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,586 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

Inverdale's comment may have been sexist, but it was also bizarre and crass. The idea that a player has to adopt a particular style because she is not "a looker" is laughable. He seems prone to these kind of gaffes. IIRC,when he was anchoring the beeb's athletics coverage and  talking about Christophe Lemaitre , the French sprinter, he spoke about him as the "great white hope" who could challenge the dominance of black sprinters. The look of contempt on Michael Johnson's face was priceless.........

#66 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

Quite. You will always get a lunatic fringe who take things to a ridiculous degree. In response to Johnoco suggesting that men and women are equal at the moment I would argue strongly that the facts clearly show this isn't the case. Women are massively underrepresented in most top jobs whether it's politics, business etc and women generally tend not to get the same levels of pay on average as men. I too had a lecturer who had attended Greenham Common although I think she had moderated her views substantially by the time I bumped into her.

Of course I know that in reality women are not 50-50 in positions of power. This is because up to recently there were none. This is changing.
The equality I am talking about is in everyday life and how women are just as strong when it comes to dealing with life.

#67 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:51 PM

I know what you are saying but I don't believe feminists want equality but dominance.

#68 slowdive

slowdive
  • Coach
  • 264 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

I know what you are saying but I don't believe feminists want equality but dominance.

Some may well do but that isn't really an accurate representation of feminism.  

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

#69 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:12 PM

Yep, I consider myself a feminist as I am for equal rights for women. Unfortunately many people who claim to be feminists are simply misandrist.

Fides invicta triumphat

#70 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:14 PM

Quite.  You will always get a lunatic fringe who take things to a ridiculous degree.  In response to Johnoco suggesting that men and women are equal at the moment I would argue strongly that the facts clearly show this isn't the case.  Women are massively underrepresented in most top jobs  whether it's politics, business etc and women generally tend not to get the same levels of pay on average as men.  I too had a lecturer who had attended Greenham Common although I think she had moderated her views substantially by the time I bumped into her.  

I agree to a certain degree but I don't know whether you can use the lack of women in top jobs as evidence of unequal rights for women. 

Fides invicta triumphat

#71 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:19 PM

For a man with a face like a burst leather armchair.

No better description could I think of. Excellent. Funny because it's true.

#72 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:53 PM

One thing I am surprised to see not mentioned, is the irony of a second rate hack questioning any facet of a person at the pinnacle of their chosen profession.

Stealing a living, doen't come close. Odious toad.

#73 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,833 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

.  I ended up simply not bothering to attend her tutorials and taking separate extra tuition getting the second highest individual course mark of my degree.

I too didn't bother attending tutorials, generally because, when you did go, they kept setting you homework.

I had enough on my plate without doing any homework, thank you very much. I had top fit in a full week of  going to lectures, playing rugby, doing disco lights and sitting round the house listening to music whilst dicussing the relative merits of that month's Mayfair, Men Only and Club Intermational. And that was before seeing bands and going out drinking every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

Then they had the absolute cheek to give me a rubbish degree!

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#74 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 227 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:24 PM

Do you think Inverdale's dad told him when he was little "You're never going to have social skills, and will always be a bit oily. You'll never be a raconteur and wit, so you have to work in the media, maybe on something rugby union related, where your innate smugness would appeal to its demographic"?

#75 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:27 PM

Do you think Inverdale's dad told him when he was little "You're never going to have social skills, and will always be a bit oily. You'll never be a raconteur and wit, so you have to work in the media, maybe on something rugby union related, where your innate smugness would appeal to its demographic"?

Oi, its not our fault he is sometimes connected to RU. No need to bring us into this. ;)

Fides invicta triumphat

#76 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 42,638 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:35 PM

Mate sometimes you paint with too broad a brush
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#77 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 13,448 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

Then, by definition, they aren't feminists.

Fides invicta triumphat

#78 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,160 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

I too didn't bother attending tutorials, generally because, when you did go, they kept setting you homework.

I had enough on my plate without doing any homework, thank you very much. I had top fit in a full week of  going to lectures, playing rugby, doing disco lights and sitting round the house listening to music whilst dicussing the relative merits of that month's Mayfair, Men Only and Club Intermational. And that was before seeing bands and going out drinking every Wednesday, Friday and Saturday.

Then they had the absolute cheek to give me a rubbish degree!

You were clearly being victimised because of your gender.

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#79 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,493 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:59 PM

Mate sometimes you paint with too broad a brush

Only when doing the decking. I believe at the heart of feminism, (not a few radical sistas) lies a desire for women to 'pay men back' and be the dominant, not equa,l party.

#80 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,833 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

You were clearly being victimised because of your gender.

Maybe, but I showed solidarity with the wimmin by having hair hanging over my shoulders and being willing to take the ugly mate.

:D

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users