Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Smug Inverdale 'The Sexist' in Hot Water

LOL

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

#121 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,009 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:16 AM

Both parents left school at 16. Mother was a baker, father was a machinist (later a work study engineer). Educated at a comprehensive school with low academic ambition. Grew up in a one car family and was 22 before I got to fly (via work) and 23 before I had a foreign holiday. Worked as a pot washer, batman and factory worker before my current position. I consider myself working class, and should point out that this isn't a badge of honour or something to be proud of, just a fact.

It's not a competition mate nor was I implying you have to justify yourself.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#122 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,009 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:20 AM

I wonder how many jobs there are in the Guardian or Telegraph this week for white working class males?
That is to say, ones actively discriminating *for* them? Not many I reckon

#123 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:25 AM

It's not a competition mate nor was I implying you have to justify yourself.

So why bring up Sev's curent "middle class" employment then?

#124 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:28 AM

I wonder how many jobs there are in the Guardian or Telegraph this week for white working class males?

Very very few.  Made worse by the current trend for unpaid interns.  How many people without parental backing can take these positions up?  During the Olympics the BBC missed the irony of their articles banging on about how many public school competitors won gold for GB.  I asked the journalist on Twitter how many of his colleagues were from state schools, and he admitted that it wasn't many

#125 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,009 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:41 AM

So why bring up Sev's curent "middle class" employment then?

Merely pointing out that a University lecturer is far far far from working class or the people Phil is referring to.

#126 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,009 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:44 AM

Very very few. Made worse by the current trend for unpaid interns. How many people without parental backing can take these positions up? During the Olympics the BBC missed the irony of their articles banging on about how many public school competitors won gold for GB. I asked the journalist on Twitter how many of his colleagues were from state schools, and he admitted that it wasn't many

I'm sure you are right but I am referring to the number of jobs available only to women/ethnic minorities/etc.

#127 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:51 AM

Merely pointing out that a University lecturer is far far far from working class or the people Phil is referring to.

That does look like point scoring John.

Edit, and is one of the worst traits in working class people.  The idea that making something of yourself takes you out of your social grouping, much better to have followed his dad into the machinist business and not sold out.

Edited by MikeW, 11 July 2013 - 06:55 AM.

#128 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

I'm sure you are right but I am referring to the number of jobs available only to women/ethnic minorities/etc.

Sorry I misunderstood your point.  You were referring to the jobs advertised,not jobs at the paper.  Apologies. Maybe there are jobs like that, but they'll be massively swamped by the number of jobs where those qualities will make it a lot harder to get the job. 

#129 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,009 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:57 AM

Sorry I misunderstood your point. You were referring to the jobs advertised,not jobs at the paper. Apologies. Maybe there are jobs like that, but they'll be massively swamped by the number of jobs where those qualities will make it a lot harder to get the job.

The jobs that 'swamp' these ones are low paid manual work. It's fine to leave these exclusively for the lower orders though. I have had personal experience of 'positive' discrimination and it is not a nice feeling, regardless of how pc the other party is.

#130 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,009 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:02 AM

That does look like point scoring John.
Edit, and is one of the worst traits in working class people. The idea that making something of yourself takes you out of your social grouping, much better to have followed his dad into the machinist business and not sold out.

That is not my viewpoint at all. I aren't sure why you are implying it is.

#131 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

The jobs that 'swamp' these ones are low paid manual work. It's fine to leave these exclusively for the lower orders though. I have had personal experience of 'positive' discrimination and it is not a nice feeling, regardless of how pc the other party is.

I think you're confusing two issues John.  How many of these women will be comp educated, and have a Btec in hairdressing? 

#132 MikeW

MikeW
  • Coach
  • 814 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

That is not my viewpoint at all. I aren't sure why you are implying it is.

Why bring up Sev's job if not to imply that his opinion on the working class was less valid, because he is, in your opinion, middle class? 

Re the second of my comments.  I do not believe that is your viewpoint for one minute John, it's more of a general comment, but I can see that it appears I am implying it is. 

#133 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,009 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:30 AM

Mike, I could try to be a spokesman on black people's issues. At some point someone might point out that I aren't actually black.

#134 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,942 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

people arent employed on the basis of their race or gender it's quite rightly illegal

the number of working class people employed at the guardian will be commensurate with the number of working class jobs-same as at the mirror, the sun and the rest of the nation's press.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#135 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,009 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:26 AM

It's perfectly legal to omit white men from jobs, read the adverts and the exemptions.
Strangely though, there don't seem to be jobs actively excluding women or disabled etc.

#136 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,748 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:46 AM

There's a Woman's Hour on the radio but no Men's Hour.

There has been a Men's Hour for a few years on 5Live - http://www.bbc.co.uk...series/menshour

(Although that argument does put me in mind of when, as a child, I asked my parents why there was a Mother's day and a Father's Day but no Children's Day - they answered, a bit world weary "because every day is Children's Day!" :) )

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#137 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,461 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:49 AM

Oh great. Yet another thread derailed by people who can't go 5 minutes without mentioning the class system. We're supposed to be abusing Oily John, people!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#138 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,175 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

There has been a Men's Hour for a few years on 5Live - http://www.bbc.co.uk...series/menshour

(Although that argument does put me in mind of when, as a child, I asked my parents why there was a Mother's day and a Father's Day but no Children's Day - they answered, a bit world weary "because every day is Children's Day!" :) )

Had the same conversation with my mother as a child.

#139 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:09 AM

Oh great. Yet another thread derailed by people who can't go 5 minutes without mentioning the class system. We're supposed to be abusing Oily John, people!

Yeah, the oily middle class ....

LUNEW.jpg

#140 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,666 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:40 AM

Beat me to it; any opportunity to point and laugh at 'the oily one' should never be passed up.  :tongue:

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users