Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Negative Post Time, So If Your Easily Offended Turn Away Now

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:29 PM

One question, a one word answer will do

Ian Talbot or Matt Calland?
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#2 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

Matt.

#3 jananbillingsbarmyarmy

jananbillingsbarmyarmy
  • Coach
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:49 PM

Get him in now. The club's ######ed 

#4 hornetsexile

hornetsexile
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

Matt

#5 Lakeside

Lakeside
  • Players
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:45 PM

Change the clueless numpties who are running the club first or matt will not have a chance

#6 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 676 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:22 PM

You seem to have this debate most seasons don't you?

#7 Heywood Tiger

Heywood Tiger
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

The board aren't gonna change anytime soon they were voted in and will have to be voted out. I imagine the coach may well have to walk as he clearly can't get a response from the players. If that means the end of the Saints relationship then so be it, we'll survive without a posh gym and AstroTurf.

For me regardless of the coach, the future of Rochdale Hornets MUST involve the young Rochdale lads coming out of the Super league systems, along side a proper experienced pack of 100%ers.

#8 grantmc

grantmc
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:54 PM

matt calland

#9 Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster
  • Coach
  • 413 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

The board aren't gonna change anytime soon they were voted in and will have to be voted out. I imagine the coach may well have to walk as he clearly can't get a response from the players. If that means the end of the Saints relationship then so be it, we'll survive without a posh gym and AstroTurf.

For me regardless of the coach, the future of Rochdale Hornets MUST involve the young Rochdale lads coming out of the Super league systems, along side a proper experienced pack of 100%ers.

The way 1 or 2 have been treated recently i can't see that happening !

"There are only 5 functions of Internet FORUMS. . . . . . . . . . Brag . . Patronise . . Wind-up . . Fawn . . Threaten. . . . . . . . . Which one did you perform? "

Andy 'Ghosty' Rogose is Ghostbuster

(Vice Chairman Rochdale Fijian Association) (Member Rochdale Mayfield A.R.L.F.C)

#10 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

Great post Tiger, but my post was pretty clear. can we have a name? I assure you members will talk to you again if you pin your colours to the mast. The club needs to listen. Is it an attendance of 250 before they do?
Phil Bull.

Hopefully my post are viewed as positive, and I cannot be held responsible for causing any offence to anyone associated with this message board

#11 Heywood Tiger

Heywood Tiger
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

Matt Calland

Difference being as I see it, he has a successful history of managing men, all Talbot's experience is with youth.

#12 Pedro

Pedro
  • Players
  • 86 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

Matt Calland.

I hope that he would motivate the players more than Ian Talbot seems to. I didn't see the last two games because I was on holiday. I expected Crusaders to beat us but to not even get a bonus point from either of the two matches is poor.

Edited by Pedro, 08 July 2013 - 01:52 AM.

#13 fillipo del toro

fillipo del toro
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

Matt Calland

Difference being as I see it, he has a successful history of managing men, all Talbot's experience is with youth.

Cheers Tiger, 2 grand finals & a win with Fax. With a pretty sound playing career as well. Most of all he's ROCHDALE Hornets.
Phil Bull.

#14 Expat exile

Expat exile
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:25 AM

So...has anyone thought that if MC got the job right now, whether there would be a team to pick from for the remaining games...with injuries etc it's already bare bones time, plus the inevitable player exodus at semi-pro level when a coach who brought them in is turfed out...

not saying it will happen, we've just seen it sooooo many times before.

Judge the coaching team and players when the season is over - still in our hands is it not?

#15 Snoopy Loopy

Snoopy Loopy
  • Coach
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

So...has anyone thought that if MC got the job right now, whether there would be a team to pick from for the remaining games...with injuries etc it's already bare bones time, plus the inevitable player exodus at semi-pro level when a coach who brought them in is turfed out...

not saying it will happen, we've just seen it sooooo many times before.

Judge the coaching team and players when the season is over - still in our hands is it not?

So what are you saying - be held to ransom by the players?

Its not normal that players would leave just because of a change in coach and to be honest if the current crop are that fickle then is it worth even having them?

This is one of the worst hornets sides ever and changes need to be made to avoid a further decline

#16 Snoopy Loopy

Snoopy Loopy
  • Coach
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 11:51 AM

The way I understand it before the St Helens link up was finalised the decision had been made to give the job to Matt Calland - then Saints got involved and IanTalbot was given the job.

Matt would have been the correct choice for all the reasons mentioned on here including: Grand Final Winner (division above), lives in Rochdale, Links locally to amature game and Hopwood Hall and a genuine passion for Hornets a club that he played at for a large part of his career - instead we appointed a guy who with all due respect has no record in the open age coaching game and asked Matt to work under him - that dosent stack up 

Who made that decision? and is whoever made that decision going to hold their hands up and admit that it hasnt worked by showing some bottle and correcting their mistake?

#17 Expat exile

Expat exile
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 02:38 PM

So what are you saying - be held to ransom by the players?

Its not normal that players would leave just because of a change in coach and to be honest if the current crop are that fickle then is it worth even having them?

This is one of the worst hornets sides ever and changes need to be made to avoid a further decline

Every club is held to ransom by the players at semi-pro level...unless you are rich enough to take that out of the equation by paying them a significant amount.

How many of the players are there because they brought in this season is what i'm saying - with 5 home games left and players returning from injury it would be a big gamble to start again right now, but the guys at the top need to either put up or shut up and let us all get behind the team whoever the coach is.

#18 Heywood Tiger

Heywood Tiger
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:20 PM

Are the borrowed players not contracted to Saints? I know a few are definately but not sure about others. In fact how many players do Hornets employ even just on a game by game basis, is there any kind of contract? Appologies for all the questions.

I imagine we wouldnt be able to change coach without Saints spitting the dummy and pulling out totally,   wasnt his appointment a pre-requisite of the whole partnership? They almost hired him on our behalf would they have to remove on our behalf?

And surely they would want to provide another coach?

#19 StarfireHypervixen

StarfireHypervixen
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

The deal with Saints seems to have been a 2 edged sword. The use of facilities you could only have dreamed of having, but at a cost. What would you have done?

Hind-sight is always 20 - 20 vision. Fore-sight is at least 35% luck.

Still, if you're all that unhappy with the people running things your board elections are not far off....
Living life in such a way, that when my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan says "Oh *@$^! She's awake!"

#20 ColDale

ColDale
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

We had a similar situation when Steve Eyre was appointed. His experience was of dealing with some of the best talent in the game but it was a million miles away from what League One football was all about. It's one thing coaching kids with a natural ability but its a different matter completely working with men who with the best will in the world might not be blessed with all the talent. Players complained about being treated like kids and the tactics involved went repeatedly over their heads,

Interfering bloke who supports Dale.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users