Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Harry Sunderland (Be Careful Don't Get it Locked)

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:35 PM

Please tread carefully.

The story so far. 

After doing some digging, there is no smoking gun, I didn't expect one to be honest.

When Francis left Wigan to go to Barrow within a few games he was actually back at Central Park playing for his new club.

In his first game for Barrow he had an excellent game and was given a great reception from the crowd. On his return to Wigan as a Barrow player it was reported that he had a poor game. The interesting thing though is that The Wigan Examiner reported that he was given an ovation from the Wigan crowd on entering the field. Now that seems a little odd for a player who had been at Wigan for a couple of years and had only played 12 first team games.

The examiner also quoted a Barovian report from their local newspaper asking what where Wigan playing at letting such a talented player go when he had an obviously great future ahead of him.

Having now read a lot of material about Sunderland it seems that, regardless of the racism charge, he was first and foremost a self publicist, he was almost certainly interested in what was best for himself and makes claims, like he was responsible for the creation of French RL, that are patently not true.

He certainly knew how to use the media, he was a journalist after all, and insisted that during his time as a manager of Australia touring teams he was allowed to continue his journalistic sideline. Interestingly he was only allowed to do that as long as all other tour members had the same privilege, thus denying him exclusivity.

He was  sued just before one tour for defamation of a player and had to apologies in court despite  continual refusals to do so. I don't know the origins of the player involved, I need to do more digging.

I had a meet up with Tony Collins on Saturday and he sticks by his view that Harry Sunderland is not fit for the honour bestowed upon him in having the GF MoM awarded a trophy given in his honour.

The more I have read the more I tend to agree with the view that he was not all he is painted as.

Please do not let this descend into another I'm right your wrong slanging match. If you have something to add please do so.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#2 Scubby

Scubby
  • Coach
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:04 PM

Please tread carefully.

The story so far. 

After doing some digging, there is no smoking gun, I didn't expect one to be honest.

When Francis left Wigan to go to Barrow within a few games he was actually back at Central Park playing for his new club.

In his first game for Barrow he had an excellent game and was given a great reception from the crowd. On his return to Wigan as a Barrow player it was reported that he had a poor game. The interesting thing though is that The Wigan Examiner reported that he was given an ovation from the Wigan crowd on entering the field. Now that seems a little odd for a player who had been at Wigan for a couple of years and had only played 12 first team games.

The examiner also quoted a Barovian report from their local newspaper asking what where Wigan playing at letting such a talented player go when he had an obviously great future ahead of him.

Having now read a lot of material about Sunderland it seems that, regardless of the racism charge, he was first and foremost a self publicist, he was almost certainly interested in what was best for himself and makes claims, like he was responsible for the creation of French RL, that are patently not true.

He certainly knew how to use the media, he was a journalist after all, and insisted that during his time as a manager of Australia touring teams he was allowed to continue his journalistic sideline. Interestingly he was only allowed to do that as long as all other tour members had the same privilege, thus denying him exclusivity.

He was  sued just before one tour for defamation of a player and had to apologies in court despite  continual refusals to do so. I don't know the origins of the player involved, I need to do more digging.

I had a meet up with Tony Collins on Saturday and he sticks by his view that Harry Sunderland is not fit for the honour bestowed upon him in having the GF MoM awarded a trophy given in his honour.

The more I have read the more I tend to agree with the view that he was not all he is painted as.

Please do not let this descend into another I'm right your wrong slanging match. If you have something to add please do so.

I think there is a fair case for a review of the MoM trophy name for the GF. The Harry Sunderland Trophy was for the MoM in the Premiership Final and simply transferred across because it appeared to be convenient.

Now that the GF is the pinnacle of our game, it needs something alongside the 'Churchill Medal' . There are plenty of great candidates for this and I think the issue should be re-opened. I think there is a easy way of getting around the accusations/politics by saying the HS Trophy was not officially intended for the MoM in the GF.

#3 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,879 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:19 PM

Please tread carefully.

The story so far. 

thanks for going to the trouble dave.

It seems it makes no difference whether he was a racist or not, it seems that there are many better candidates for the accolade.

WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#4 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,879 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

I think there is a fair case for a review of the MoM trophy name for the GF. The Harry Sunderland Trophy was for the MoM in the Premiership Final and simply transferred across because it appeared to be convenient.

Now that the GF is the pinnacle of our game, it needs something alongside the 'Churchill Medal' . There are plenty of great candidates for this and I think the issue should be re-opened. I think there is a easy way of getting around the accusations/politics by saying the HS Trophy was not officially intended for the MoM in the GF.

couldn't agree more

Keeping it local

#5 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

Since it is writers award I think Harold Mather would be a good candidate, he was an excellent Guardian journalist who was held in great respect. His reports are a pleasure to read.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#6 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,879 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:18 PM

Please tread carefully.

The story so far. 

mate your pm folder or whatever  they call it, is clagged up

Keeping it local

#7 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

mate your pm folder or whatever  they call it, is clagged up

Should be right now

#8 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

Is being a self publicist and possibly a bit arrogant now the reason for the removal of the medal?
Sounds suspect to only honour people who are really nice and friendly.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#9 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

Is being a self publicist and possibly a bit arrogant now the reason for the removal of the medal?
Sounds suspect to only honour people who are really nice and friendly.

John, I'm trying my best to be very nice here.

The more i read about him the less I like him.

What are you basing your assumption on that he is a great guy, have your researched his background, have you studied what he did and what he was responsible for.

You don't actually want to back up your position with anything other than he's had an award named after him he must therefore be a good guy.

#10 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,829 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

Since it is writers award I think Harold Mather would be a good candidate, he was an excellent Guardian journalist who was held in great respect. His reports are a pleasure to read.

And no doubt Harold Mathers was part of the Rugby League Writers Association when it decided to put forward Sunderland's name to be honoured in the Premiership/Championship Final.

Given that the award was first presented in 1965, when there were a fair number of black players around, it's hard to believe that he would have been nominated if there had been any suspicions of racism. And the writers at the time, including Harold Mathers, would surely have been in a much better position than us to make that judgement.

I'm glad you took the trouble to read the newspapers from the 1930s, but you don't seem to have unearthed any evidence of racism on Sunderland's part.

I'm sure the Wigan fans would have given Roy Francis a warm welcome because they were very fair minded, particularly in relation to a black player, who was relatively unusual in the 1930s, although not unique.

If we were deciding today who to name an award after, we may not choose Sunderland, although oddly enough the Queensland Rugby League did so in putting his name to an annual lecture on Rugby League in 2010. So they don't think he's a racist.

It's one thing to name an award after someone, but it's another to re-name the award, which by implication insults the person after whom the award is originally named.

#11 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:25 PM

John, I'm trying my best to be very nice here.

The more i read about him the less I like him.

What are you basing your assumption on that he is a great guy, have your researched his background, have you studied what he did and what he was responsible for.

You don't actually want to back up your position with anything other than he's had an award named after him he must therefore be a good guy.

I aren't saying he was a good guy. I know very little about him. Maybe I couldn't stand him if I had met him.

But that is not reason to remove an award in his name.
I know people who have *good* reason to dislike Ellery Hanley, would that be reason enough for the powers that be to not recognise him one day?

#12 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

And no doubt Harold Mathers was part of the Rugby League Writers Association when it decided to put forward Sunderland's name to be honoured in the Premiership/Championship Final.

Given that the award was first presented in 1965, when there were a fair number of black players around, it's hard to believe that he would have been nominated if there had been any suspicions of racism. And the writers at the time, including Harold Mathers, would surely have been in a much better position than us to make that judgement.

I'm glad you took the trouble to read the newspapers from the 1930s, but you don't seem to have unearthed any evidence of racism on Sunderland's part.

I'm sure the Wigan fans would have given Roy Francis a warm welcome because they were very fair minded, particularly in relation to a black player, who was relatively unusual in the 1930s, although not unique.

If we were deciding today who to name an award after, we may not choose Sunderland, although oddly enough the Queensland Rugby League did so in putting his name to an annual lecture on Rugby League in 2010. So they don't think he's a racist.

It's one thing to name an award after someone, but it's another to re-name the award, which by implication insults the person after whom the award is originally named.

I understand your sentiments, and yes I have haven't found a quote from Australia or the UK to show he was racist, but there is a lot of stuff to show he wasn't Mr. Nice Guy

I aren't saying he was a good guy. I know very little about him. Maybe I couldn't stand him if I had met him.

But that is not reason to remove an award in his name.
I know people who have *good* reason to dislike Ellery Hanley, would that be reason enough for the powers that be to not recognise him one day?

I wouldn't want a trophy named after Eller Hanley, full stop.

One of the greatest players i have had the privilege to watch, but no way should his name be attached to a trophy.

Edited by Padge, 07 July 2013 - 09:31 PM.

#13 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

I'm just supposing a scenario where someone proposed a medal or something in his name. Would certain people disliking him outweigh whatever reason they had for proposing him in the first place? That's the only point I'm making, ie should all the people we honour be whiter than white?

#14 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,165 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:59 PM

thanks for going to the trouble dave.

It seems it makes no difference whether he was a racist or not, it seems that there are many better candidates for the accolade.

Probably but it has had that name for almost 50 years. Why change it now and devalue its history?

#15 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,079 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:00 PM

I'm just supposing a scenario where someone proposed a medal or something in his name. Would certain people disliking him outweigh whatever reason they had for proposing him in the first place? That's the only point I'm making, ie should all the people we honour be whiter than white?

The sunderland trophy is a very high honour, he appears to be less than savoury character. I started with an open mind on this, but the mor I dig the more i tend towards l'ange's view.

It may not be popular, Martyn has made his view quite clear, however I feel that the award should be questioned.

Thinking about I think we should have a rule/law that says that these awards should only last for a set number of years and then be passed on.

Edited by Padge, 07 July 2013 - 10:02 PM.

#16 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 6,020 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

The sunderland trophy is a very high honour, he appears to be less than savoury character. I started with an open mind on this, but the mor I dig the more i tend towards l'ange's view.

It may not be popular, Martyn has made his view quite clear, however I feel that the award should be questioned.

Thinking about I think we should have a rule/law that says that these awards should only last for a set number of years and then be passed on.

You say that but I haven't seen anything you or ange have put on here that's concrete enough to be thinking about scrapping this award. I have no problem changing the award because there is a better candidate or bringing a rule in that limits the length of time it is in some bodies name. What we are talking about here though is changing the award because he was a racist/unsavoury character and as yet I haven't seen anything conclusive enough to do that.

#17 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

There's a whole world of difference between being an 'unsavoury character' and a racist as was the original proposal for removing his name.

#18 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,879 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:28 PM

padge has passed on some information that he's gone to the trouble of obtaining.

that's all

thanks again

Keeping it local

#19 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,746 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:53 PM

Again, this is interesting, but what has been added to the debate?

#20 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,982 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:57 PM

Again, this is interesting, but what has been added to the debate?

As far as I can see it goes like this.... 'it can't be proved he is racist but he's definitely a bad 'un'

Pretty certain that if any significant proof of racism had been discovered, much more of a deal would have been made of it. It highlights the dangers of retrospective banning and 'I think he was a tosser' style claims

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users