Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Harry Sunderland (Be Careful Don't Get it Locked)

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,271 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

Again, this is interesting, but what has been added to the debate?

Not a lot but it was interesting nevertheless. 

#22 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,850 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:50 PM

The sunderland trophy is a very high honour, he appears to be less than savoury character. I started with an open mind on this, but the mor I dig the more i tend towards l'ange's view.

It may not be popular, Martyn has made his view quite clear, however I feel that the award should be questioned.

Thinking about I think we should have a rule/law that says that these awards should only last for a set number of years and then be passed on.

I'm not even sure you've got any proof that he was a "less than savoury" character.

He certainly knew how to look after number one, but if that were a disqualification, there would be few people who we could name anything after.

Sunderland was involved with the Queensland Rugby League before the First World War, which was a time when rugby union went defunct in that state. And in the years after that he was a Rugby League evangelist, more successful in some places than others.

So on that basis I'm sure you'd have got some support from the RFU and the Australian Rugby Union about him being an unsavoury character, and no doubt the Vichy government in France would have been on your side too.

But clearly Harold Mathers, who you obviously admired, and his colleagues didn't take much note of the rugby union authorities when they nominated him for the award after his death in 1964.

I think we should draw the line with them.

#23 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,992 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

None of us are in a position to judge the man, as none of us knew him. Those who may have supported the case for either side are long gone and so what it boils down to is simple opinion. It doesn't matter how many archived press cuttings you've trawled through, it is still only an opinion that is incapable of being proved beyond doubt.

I would ask this question though - if he was such an unsavoury character, someone of dubious opinions and morals, then why on earth would his peers of the time see fit to name an award after him ? They knew the man far better than anyone on here did - so by implication their judgement is being questioned. I mean, Sunderland did not bestow the honour on himself, so the members of the RLWA must have thought him a worthy person to honour in this way.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#24 Chronicler of Chiswick

Chronicler of Chiswick
  • Coach
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

Unfortunately people with talent and drive in their chosen profession tend not to be very nice as individuals. Possibly the 19th. century's greatest and most innovative operatic composer and director was Richard Wagner who as a person was a quite revolting anti-semitic egomaniac. This doesn't, however detract from his work (incidentally he died of a heart attack following a row with his wife - you have been warned!).

#25 Mistress_Marlowe

Mistress_Marlowe
  • Coach
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:05 PM

I'm just supposing a scenario where someone proposed a medal or something in his name. Would certain people disliking him outweigh whatever reason they had for proposing him in the first place? That's the only point I'm making, ie should all the people we honour be whiter than white?

Is it just me that sees the irony? :ph34r:

A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal. ~ Oscar Wilde

#26 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,850 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

Just to resurrect a thread that was put to bed in July.

At the Albert Goldthorpe Medal ceremony recently we gave a Lifetime Achievement Award to Harry Jepson, a former director of Hunslet, Leeds and the RFL.

Harry knew Harry Sunderland personally, as well as Roy Francis.

I asked Harry specifically about whether Sunderland was a racist in any sense of the word, and he was quite shocked that such a thing should even be suggested. He had never seen any sign of it, and Roy Francis had never spoken to him about anything to the same effect.

I thought it worth reporting on here, given the original thread that questioned Sunderland's possible racism.

But perhaps we should let this thread now sink once again to the bottom of the page and beyond.

#27 RLDave

RLDave
  • Coach
  • 750 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

I'm sure Lee Briers will take it no matter who it's named after.
@ohcallicalli

You can't beat an owl!

#28 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,229 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:50 PM

Or whoever its awarded to.   :D

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#29 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

The sunderland trophy is a very high honour, he appears to be less than savoury character. I started with an open mind on this, but the mor I dig the more i tend towards l'ange's view.

It may not be popular, Martyn has made his view quite clear, however I feel that the award should be questioned.

Thinking about I think we should have a rule/law that says that these awards should only last for a set number of years and then be passed on.

I think that most people look at the award in the context of who was man of the match in the Grand Final and most have no inkling of the history behind it or any details of Sunderland and do not know who he was.

I think the name of the award has evolved away from the identity of the man whose name is on it and this will continue as the years go by. It's like the words Biro and Hoover. They have evolved away from the original products after which they were named and are now words for a vacuum cleaner and a ball point pen.

Maybe we should just let sleeping dogs lie and have the true facts about Sunderland, such as they are to remain marooned in the history books.

#30 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

For Harry Sunderland see Woodrow Wilson
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#31 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,850 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:04 PM

For Harry Sunderland see Woodrow Wilson

Not sure what point you're making.

Woodrow Wilson was a segregationist, and that fact is fully documented.

There is no parallel with Harry Sunderland.

#32 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,180 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:06 PM

no brainer.............the harold wagstaff medal. our very own dally m.
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#33 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,129 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:11 PM

Sam Tomkins. Easy.

Eddie just wants one last nibble before Sam leaves him sobbing on the platform.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#34 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,729 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

Not sure what point you're making.

Woodrow Wilson was a segregationist, and that fact is fully documented.

There is no parallel with Harry Sunderland.

I know,but it just reminded me about the publicity W W is getting over here in the USA right now.Apparently there is a film coming out about his life and there are many people didn't know this side of him segregationist or racist.It maybe fully documented to a well read person like you,but believe me there are many many people over here who didn't know.Even I knew he said the film BIRTH OF A NATION  was true.

but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK