Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

forward passes going to video ref

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Larry the Leit

Larry the Leit
  • Coach
  • 2,583 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:03 AM

Is John Senior still of this parish? I'd love to read his views.

I'm not sure we can get it any better with TV than we do with the refs on forward passes.

Edited by Larry the Leit, 08 July 2013 - 08:04 AM.

The Unicorn is not a Goose,

#22 Duff Duff

Duff Duff
  • Banned
  • 717 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:22 AM

The Union law is that unless the video ref is 100% sure it is a forward pass and then the try should stand. The benefit of the doubt is with the attacking side and and referees original decision.

#23 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

Forward passing is allowed in Super League.

#24 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:07 PM

The problem with the Union law is that it would cause more unnecessary controversy in the game. Firstly, we'd see a lot more decisions being referred upstairs and their being watched over and over again. The fact that they have to be certain and the difficulty in judging forward passes would result in a lot of controversial decisions. For instance, we would have blatant forward passes let go because they weren't 100% certain. This for me would be worse and more frustrating than a referee missing it during the game.

#25 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,648 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 03:27 PM

if the video ref cannot make a decision it becomes ref's call which I believe happens in the NRL.....

The NRL got rid of Refs Call. Now when a ref goes to the video ref, they have to make a call on whether they believe it was a try or not. Basically, the video ref then has find evidence to either agree or disagree. If, for example, the referee thought it was no try, then the video ref would have to find conclusive evidence in the replays to give a try. If no evidence is found, the try is disallowed.

There have been a couple of instances where a try could potentially have been allowed because the on field ref called it as no try but the video evidence was inconclusive. The video ref would have no evidence to disagree with the on field refs original call no matter which way the ref called it. Most times it seems to work though.

#26 madwire

madwire
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:17 PM

If forward passes were to go to the screen in rugby league Leeds will be f****d.

#27 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

If forward passes were to go to the screen in rugby league Leeds will be f****d.

We have a winner,surprised it took so long :sclerosis:

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#28 Southerner

Southerner
  • Coach
  • 925 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:30 PM

No more video ref please. I don't know the facts but I bet there's an average of 4 referrals per game wasting about 2 minutes each. That's 8 mins of the most boring negative reruns with Eddie and Stevo arguing over the rules and sounding like a right pair of old farts. Hate video ref.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users