Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Lee Briers

1 year deal with Hull KR?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

I have been saying for some time that this is the flaw in the cap been used in the argument to Crete an even competition. It doesn't. If you want an even comp, the lesser lights such as Salford need to be able to over spend to attract the better players.

I'm not sure that could work though. In the example I give above, even offering 15-20% above another club may not allow a poor club to compete. So where would you stop?

What the cap does is slow growth down of a club, and I'm not too uncomfortable with that. It makes things difficult - clubs will probably have to pay over the odds for a couple of players for a couple of years and grow a touch more slowly than they would like, but as I have said before, IMHO it's right that is difficult to go from the bottom to the top.

I've seen it at my club - we started to make 'big' signings from 2004 when we moved into the new ground (if you exclude the recklessness of the Langer/Nikau/Gee era) with Martin Gleeson and the short term deal of Johns. Alongside these signings though were Danny Lima, Chris Leikvoll, John Wilshere etc. We had to build up slowly, and it (imho) made for more sustainable growth as a club.

Alongside a steady stream of signings over the years we have focused on bringing our own youth in too - we never went out and signed a dozen world class players in one go - I'm not sure we should have rules in place to allow that when in reality the Salford situation is a unique one.

#42 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

Not really, because I have first hand info regarding Leeds.

Perhaps Dave T has the same level of info at Warrington. Perhaps not.

I don't, so I can only speculate.

The initial quip was just that: a quip. I didn't anticipate such a massive bite from Dave T. Perhaps he does have inside knowledge of Warrington's cap after all.

Nah, generally I take people's comments at face value - especially when they have been written on more than one occasion. 

I didn't realise you were trolling, I come on here for RL discussion, I'll bear this in mind with your future posts.

#43 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

Nah, generally I take people's comments at face value - especially when they have been written on more than one occasion.

I didn't realise you were trolling, I come on here for RL discussion, I'll bear this in mind with your future posts.

Put your nickers back on; it was a a throwaway quip. I wasn't expecting a bite, or at least not one of this magnitude.

Perhaps you doth protest too much.

#44 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

No one knows if Warrington or anyone else is breaking the cap. Not even the RFL.
Until the RFL demand sight of player's and their partner/spouse's bank accounts and tax returns then no one will know what players are earning.
The whole salary cap is a sham!

#45 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,641 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

No one knows if Warrington or anyone else is breaking the cap. Not even the RFL.
Until the RFL demand sight of player's and their partner/spouse's bank accounts and tax returns then no one will know what players are earning.
The whole salary cap is a sham!

Oh here we go. I bet Rogues Gallery has an account on here too.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#46 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:45 PM

So why does the game bother with the salary cap - it is the clubs themselves that imposes the cap?

If they don't want to adhere to it, just scrap it!

No doubt it'll be something to do with the nasty rich clubs having better financial managers and being able to get round the system whereas the poor lower clubs are the only ones playing by the rules.

#47 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

So why does the game bother with the salary cap - it is the clubs themselves that imposes the cap?

If they don't want to adhere to it, just scrap it!

No doubt it'll be something to do with the nasty rich clubs having better financial managers antd being able to get round the system whereas the poor lower clubs are the only ones playing by the rules.

It's a handy bargaining tool when negotiating with players and agents and helps to inhibit wage inflation. Nothing more, nothing less.

If we really had delusions of being able to use it to create a 'level playing field' we'd employ a team of forensic accountants to police it. As it is, the fact we don't speaks volumes.

#48 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:52 PM

So back on topic,no body seems to have to much to add apart from HKRAD who doesn't think its true.

#49 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:54 PM

So back on topic,no body seems to have to much to add apart from HKRAD who doesn't think its true.

That's about the long and short of it.

Briers is a Warrington legend. I'd be amazed if he'd go anywhere else at this stage in his life. I'd also be amazed if Warrington didn't want to keep him for as long as his body and form holds up.

#50 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,310 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:18 PM

It's a handy bargaining tool when negotiating with players and agents and helps to inhibit wage inflation. Nothing more, nothing less.

If we really had delusions of being able to use it to create a 'level playing field' we'd employ a team of forensic accountants to police it. As it is, the fact we don't speaks volumes.

But surely the players will know that the cap is being avoided too, so that sort of gets rid of that benefit. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users