Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

steve nash

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 plug

plug
  • Coach
  • 290 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:52 PM

nice to see him at the game today and his walk around the pitch at half time wish he was still young enough to wear the blue and white shirt he was one hell of a player for us one of the best i have seen down po road in my 40 odd years of watching the rovers

#2 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:07 PM

nice to see him at the game today and his walk around the pitch at half time wish he was still young enough to wear the blue and white shirt he was one hell of a player for us one of the best i have seen down po road in my 40 odd years of watching the rovers

My favourite Fev player of all time
Im Fev and im proud

#3 daveexponte

daveexponte
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

mine as well

#4 sandalrover

sandalrover
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

Fully agree - only Peter Smith has come anywhere near in terms of tackling technique (IMO). Ahead of his time for a scrum half.

#5 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 975 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

Top Man my all time Rovers Hero don't forget he played with a bloody good pack of forwards in the day, but he was the best scrum half I have ever seen in a Fev shirt

#6 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

anyone who has listened to my inane drivel these last 40 years know my thouhhts on nashy..... simply the best
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#7 roversspud

roversspud
  • Coach
  • 277 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:48 PM

I'll never forget the try he scored in the 73 semi against C*s at Headingley. As an 11 year old I thought I'd found my favourite player ever.......and he still is!

"Out of the way,son. Where's my medal?" Alex Murphy's immortal words as David Hobbs scores his 2nd try in the '83 Cup Final!

#8 mountieman21

mountieman21
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

Quality player.It must have been a pleasure to watch him every week.

#9 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:02 AM

used to watch him on a friday night at the willows whilst exiled in manc land...class player and got his tie ups...
Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#10 Ian (Pencil) Elliott

Ian (Pencil) Elliott
  • Coach
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:15 AM

Before my time was Steve Nash but I do feel the same way about Deryck Fox. There as been some quality players come and go while I have watched the Rovers and without doubt Paul Newlove is the greatest player I have ever seen in a Fev shirt. However Deryck is and will probably always be my all time favourate.
"You cant be scared of death. When that time comes, it comes....I've been blessed. God's looked out for me, so, I'm happy." -Sean Taylor, #21, Washington Redskins

#11 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

Very fast and agile. A class player. One of our top stars. I still think Don Fox was the top man in stratigic tthinking and planning. But nice to see him at the ground.

#12 Bazzer

Bazzer
  • Players
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

Have to agree with Colin on this topic. Don Fox is still my all time hero.

#13 rusky

rusky
  • Players
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:40 PM

Agree that Steve was very special but being a Rovers fanatic since the fifties have also got to agree with the views about Don Fox and indeed Derek Fox. My god we have had some great half backs over the years. Having only just returned since the advent of super league I was reminded of some great players when clearing my attic the other day and came across the air raid rattle I used to swing as a lad and contains the names of among others Steve Nash. I don't know if the club has a museum but I would happily donate the rattle which I unfortunately laid out a Saints supporter as a school boy when we beat Saints in the blizzard (purely accidentally). Best wishes Steve I missed you on Sunday. Good to be back after all these years although a round trip of 200 miles is much easier with summer rugby. 

#14 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

Pity I didn't save the two bricks I had to stand on to see the match.

#15 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

Don Fox is my alltime favourite scrum half,but unless my memory is playing tricks, Don and Joe Mullaney were a consistent pairing over the years. whereas Steve had Mel Mason, Mick Smith and John Newlove. all quality standoffs. i would go, Don, Steve, then Deryck. hang on, where do i put Carl Dooler.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#16 Ricardo Taylor

Ricardo Taylor
  • Coach
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

we have been well and truly blessed over the years. Favourites are always a personal choice. My favourite from this era has to be Malcolm Dixon. This does not in away dilute our thoughts on  Cooper, Dooler, Lingard, Mullaney Nash, Newlove Thompson,Thomas Fennell and many other greats who have put on the Blue and White. The list is endless

#17 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:08 PM

we have been well and truly blessed over the years. Favourites are always a personal choice. My favourite from this era has to be Malcolm Dixon. This does not in away dilute our thoughts on  Cooper, Dooler, Lingard, Mullaney Nash, Newlove Thompson,Thomas Fennell and many other greats who have put on the Blue and White. The list is endless

Yes your right Richard, we have been well and truly blessed over the years, by some not only legends and great players, but some real characters too, and long may this continue, up the rovers!!!
Im Fev and im proud

#18 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

Must put Ken Greatorex amongst that lot Mo. What a character. See him at every home match when I am doing the GG. Still looks as though he could play. I seem to remember youngsters on the stand shouting 'Come on Fats' never found out why. Or have I got it wrong.

#19 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:08 PM

Further I see John Newlove who always comes up to the Miller Gate for a word. I describe him as having the best body swerve (not sidestep) that I have seen in watching RL for 75 years. He tells me he only comes for a word because I am the only one who flatters him. What a player, and I mean it about the swerve.

#20 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 5,959 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

Further I see John Newlove who always comes up to the Miller Gate for a word. I describe him as having the best body swerve (not sidestep) that I have seen in watching RL for 75 years. He tells me he only comes for a word because I am the only one who flatters him. What a player, and I mean it about the swerve.

Col,next time you speak to John, tell him oldrover says," you might have been a good swerver, but you weren't a very good turner" lol

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users