Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Today

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:22 PM

im afaid a 2pt lead at half time was never going to be enough playing uphill in the 2nd half, the turning point being the dropped kick off from the keighley restart at 8-0 which quickly became 8-12 in 5 mins.Our usual inability to only a matter of time before Feather deal with short kicks near the line was yet again our un-doing and their 1st try when everyone just stood and watched the ball over the line beggers belief.As the 2nd half unfolded and we knicked 6 points off penalties, it seemed we might edge a win but a very dubious try off another short kick got keighley back in the game and it was only a matter of time before Feather got his usual try after more poor defence.At least we held on for a bonus point and for the 1st time in living memory since the rule was brought in we got not one but TWO 40/20,s in one game which must have been odds of 200/1 and doubled said total of this rare event for the last 5 seasons.

Posted Image

#2 Progman

Progman
  • Coach
  • 319 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:35 PM

Lot off words they were fitter than us

#3 HunsletJosh6

HunsletJosh6
  • Coach
  • 688 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

4 great opportunities to cross the line from penalties when we were dominating the pack battle, with a creative quad of Hood, March and the Coyle brothers and we take a measly 8 points from penalty kicks.

The one time this season we have the ability in the halves to create and we make the same call 4 consecutive times. First 20 Coyle brothers were cutting Keighley to shreds.
Posted Image

#4 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:12 PM

I really fear for Hunslet if you're relegated. The considerable deficit in income that you'd face might well push you into genuine feeder club status, with the Rhinos taking advantage of the need for cutbacks by foisting any Academy players they're forced to release onto you with a view to re-signing them if they make the grade. That's in addition to five dual reg's per week. I imagine Barry Eaton would also be on his merry way if you go down. Would he be replaced by a Rhinos stooge? All supposition of course, but I'd hate to say any of that happen to your club.

Edited by TheTerminator, 07 July 2013 - 10:13 PM.

Posted Image

#5 The King Of Leon

The King Of Leon
  • 4,442 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:15 PM

and now Haley has broken his thumb, the club is jinxed.

Posted Image

#6 gabby

gabby
  • Coach
  • 750 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 07:32 AM

It was totally tactical errors that lost us the game. Why play with only 3 props in that heat, and do we need 3 hookers in the squad? If we only have 3 props available, tell us, but if not, why wasn't Lewis included and is James Woods only signed on as a mascot? I also take it Neil Lowe is not training. Other points include us kicking dead from a kick off yet when the score is 22-20, we get a penalty nearer the posts and go for touch with about 5 minutes left. I like Brickwood, but he is a winger and Wilson [a centre] was the water boy, why? Also, what about Bush and Clayton for centre? If these players are not training or injured, tell us! How many times did we drop the ball, yesterday, at least once when a try was on the cards. We outplayed them first half and should have been out of sight. We have the best squad [on paper] than we have had for a long time and we are bottom of the league, something has to change and quickly. Scott Watson is another who has played prop before and I've also asked where are Nathaniel and Hughes?

It is far better to remain silent and be thought a fool
than to open your mouth and prove that you are.

#7 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

It was totally tactical errors that lost us the game. Why play with only 3 props in that heat, and do we need 3 hookers in the squad? If we only have 3 props available, tell us, but if not, why wasn't Lewis included and is James Woods only signed on as a mascot? I also take it Neil Lowe is not training. Other points include us kicking dead from a kick off yet when the score is 22-20, we get a penalty nearer the posts and go for touch with about 5 minutes left. I like Brickwood, but he is a winger and Wilson [a centre] was the water boy, why? Also, what about Bush and Clayton for centre? If these players are not training or injured, tell us! How many times did we drop the ball, yesterday, at least once when a try was on the cards. We outplayed them first half and should have been out of sight. We have the best squad [on paper] than we have had for a long time and we are bottom of the league, something has to change and quickly. Scott Watson is another who has played prop before and I've also asked where are Nathaniel and Hughes?

nathaniel isn't at the club now, lets hope eaton isnt for much longer either. We now HAVE to beat donny, barrow and york to stay up which is highly unlikely
hunslet hawks champions 2010

#8 MiBoy

MiBoy
  • Players
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

and now Haley has broken his thumb, the club is jinxed.

Menzies injured too. Done his ankle but fair play to him he stayed on when clearly in pain and struggling!!

#9 Hawkwindbag

Hawkwindbag
  • Coach
  • 871 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:12 AM

It seems we've forgotten how to win a game.

Despite blowing all those first half chances, the decisions to take the two points in the second half were correct in those conditions ... especially as they got us 20-12 up by three-quarter time. Playing catch-up in those conditions is damned hard work and we should have been able to close the game out from that point.

Bottom line is we didn't have the nous, or more importantly the mental toughness, to do that. And it's a problem that eats away at the confidence with every passing defeat.

I've still yet to see a team in the bottom nine that we aren't capable of beating, and beating well. Unfortunately it's looking more and more like the team no longer thinks along the same lines ... 

#10 LONGMAN

LONGMAN
  • Coach
  • 824 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:37 AM

nathaniel isn't at the club now, lets hope eaton isnt for much longer either. We now HAVE to beat donny, barrow and york to stay up which is highly unlikely

Josh Nathanial is still a registered player with Hunslet, but Eaton wont play him or cross him off as they had a fall out.

I know this for a fact as I've been trying to get him released so as he can go back to his amateur club from which he came from. :fie:

#11 maccca-6-

maccca-6-
  • Coach
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:38 AM

Josh Nathanial is still a registered player with Hunslet, but Eaton wont play him or cross him off as they had a fall out.

I know this for a fact as I've been trying to get him released so as he can go back to his amateur club from which he came from. :fie:

yeah ive heard all about the fallout, he wont play for hunslet again
hunslet hawks champions 2010

#12 Leeds17

Leeds17
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:02 PM

Gutted with yesterday's result!

I was very hopeful after 50 mins being 20 v 12 up, but by the end we were prayed for just a bonus point.

Couple of knock-on's in first half and a lack of discipline in 2nd cost us badly, such a shame as first 50 was positive.

Onwards and upwards, I think we can still stay up but need at least a bonus point at Donny making Barrow the week after a massive game. Failure to produce in the next two and it's all over, FACT!

COME ON HUNS, BELIEVE!!!!!

#13 LONGMAN

LONGMAN
  • Coach
  • 824 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:12 PM

yeah ive heard all about the fallout, he wont play for hunslet again

Which is fair enough on both parties, but what I cant understand is why they wont release him to go back to Milford.

Edited by LONGMAN, 08 July 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#14 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

If you know what happened then why do you think the club would release him?

#15 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

It was totally tactical errors that lost us the game. Why play with only 3 props in that heat, and do we need 3 hookers in the squad? If we only have 3 props available, tell us, but if not, why wasn't Lewis included and is James Woods only signed on as a mascot? I also take it Neil Lowe is not training. Other points include us kicking dead from a kick off yet when the score is 22-20, we get a penalty nearer the posts and go for touch with about 5 minutes left. I like Brickwood, but he is a winger and Wilson [a centre] was the water boy, why? Also, what about Bush and Clayton for centre? If these players are not training or injured, tell us! How many times did we drop the ball, yesterday, at least once when a try was on the cards. We outplayed them first half and should have been out of sight. We have the best squad [on paper] than we have had for a long time and we are bottom of the league, something has to change and quickly. Scott Watson is another who has played prop before and I've also asked where are Nathaniel and Hughes?

it was posted on twitter that we were down to the last 17 players

#16 MikeFletchersBarmyArmy

MikeFletchersBarmyArmy
  • Coach
  • 434 posts

Posted 08 July 2013 - 01:38 PM

The last 30 minutes keighley dominated in the forwards, which was Always going to happen in this heat with only 1 prop 2 hookers & a winger on the bench.

Where are these squad players?
Neil Lowe
Steve Lewis
Scott Watson
Aston Wilson
James wood
David clayton

All these can play prop or fill in the 2nd row.

Like gabby says earlier, is this James Wood a mascot? He's been in the squad for the last 2 or 3 seasons and makes the one appearance in a friendly a year.
Surely he would of been a better option at prop than haigh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users