Tonga World Cup 2013

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Pom WA

Pom WA
  • Coach
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:09 AM

Simply not true. There's nothing to stop a dual qualified player taking part in SoO and then playing for his other nation at the WC if he is selected. Even Scott Carter, RLIF chairman, has stated SoO selection has no bearing on national team selection.

Scott Carter may feel that way but the ARL expect origin players to have Australia as there country of choice before playing for their state, I think the Mascord article backs this up.

#22 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:10 AM

I would be willing to have a tenner on Mateo playing for Tonga in this world cup.

#23 Pom WA

Pom WA
  • Coach
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:22 AM

Hope he is, he has played a fair amount of games for them before and is quality to watch. The Tongans looked very strong v Samoa earlier this year and could challenge one of the big boys on their night.

#24 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

I would be willing to have a tenner on Mateo playing for Tonga in this world cup.

Didn't Tonga go to court over a couple of players eligibilty before the last WC? Given the view of the RLIF, I'd be surprised if the Tongans don't, at the very least, enquire about Mateo's eligibility. 

#25 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,230 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

Hope he is, he has played a fair amount of games for them before and is quality to watch. The Tongans looked very strong v Samoa earlier this year and could challenge one of the big boys on their night.

I was surprised how big the winning margin was v Samoa. Tonga looked very impressive.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#26 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:55 PM

Didn't Tonga go to court over a couple of players eligibilty before the last WC? Given the view of the RLIF, I'd be surprised if the Tongans don't, at the very least, enquire about Mateo's eligibility. 

yeah the two players played in the qualifiers for Tonga, swtched to NZ and played in the tour here a few years back, missed out on the kiwi squad for the WC then wanted to switch back to Tonga.

This is Different as Mateo hasnt played for any other nation or AFAIK hasnt even played origin.

Edited by Marv Woodburn, 13 July 2013 - 05:55 PM.

#27 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

yeah the two players played in the qualifiers for Tonga, swtched to NZ and played in the tour here a few years back, missed out on the kiwi squad for the WC then wanted to switch back to Tonga.

This is Different as Mateo hasnt played for any other nation or AFAIK hasnt even played origin.

You're right he hasn't played Origin, but he played City v Country twice. All comes down to this 'country of election' business.

#28 Marv Woodburn

Marv Woodburn
  • Coach
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

We will see what it comes down to when the squads come out but I would imagine Mateo will be in Tongas

#29 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,635 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

We will see what it comes down to when the squads come out but I would imagine Mateo will be in Tongas

Hopefully he will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users