Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:29 PM

This looks like a cracking day!!

http://www.pitchero....als-986909.html

#2 bulldog_paddy

bulldog_paddy
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:29 AM

Hope it goes well and that  the RL club get a decent cut of proceeds from the bar food etc! Would be a shame to line already full RU pockets :-)

#3 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

Looking forward to it.  We've a tough task against Hammersmith but I'm hoping to get down there early and see some of the earlier games.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#4 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:17 AM

Hope it goes well and that the RL club get a decent cut of proceeds from the bar food etc! Would be a shame to line already full RU pockets :-)

This is another reason why rugby league needs a proper base in the capital to act as a hub for all levels of the sport.

#5 Mister C

Mister C
  • Coach
  • 644 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 11:24 AM

This is another reason why rugby league needs a proper base in the capital to act as a hub for all levels of the sport.

which i always felt should be Elmbridge

When I was there as Kingston Warriors we were the sole tenants of the ground having disposed of the defunct Union team and their claims on the land

It is a huge playing area but we obviously never had the resources to develop it properly

i believe they have hosted a Rugby Union junior team recently but i imagine its still the RL teams name on the lease

#6 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,813 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 01:22 AM

which i always felt should be Elmbridge

When I was there as Kingston Warriors we were the sole tenants of the ground having disposed of the defunct Union team and their claims on the land

It is a huge playing area but we obviously never had the resources to develop it properly

i believe they have hosted a Rugby Union junior team recently but i imagine its still the RL teams name on the lease

How big is this ground and how come nobody plays on it. I thought London was desperately short of rugby/football pitches.If RL can claim some sort of squatters rights based on what you previously posted, it would be good to re from Kingston or move an existing team there.

A permanent location for games such as this would be good similar to the Buslingthorpe Vale ground in Leeds

#7 Mister C

Mister C
  • Coach
  • 644 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

How big is this ground and how come nobody plays on it. I thought London was desperately short of rugby/football pitches.If RL can claim some sort of squatters rights based on what you previously posted, it would be good to re from Kingston or move an existing team there.

A permanent location for games such as this would be good similar to the Buslingthorpe Vale ground in Leeds

Elmbridge as a club still exist and are doing much better than we ever did as Kingston Warriors

The ground is outside London but not far away (the village of claygate). Its inside the M25 and just off the A3. There is plenty of land for 3 pitches and a training area. I think they have just had money to redevelop the clubhouse from Sport England

But the main factor for me was that we were sole tenants with a reasonably long term lease which took at lot of hard work from a few of our stalwarts. The council were very supportive too (especially when they changed the name to Elmbridge!)

i always thought it would be a great place to have a base for RL in London

(the facts may have changed in the last 10 years!)

#8 bulldog_paddy

bulldog_paddy
  • Coach
  • 326 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:20 AM

Elmbridge as a club still exist and are doing much better than we ever did as Kingston Warriors

The ground is outside London but not far away (the village of claygate). Its inside the M25 and just off the A3. There is plenty of land for 3 pitches and a training area. I think they have just had money to redevelop the clubhouse from Sport England

But the main factor for me was that we were sole tenants with a reasonably long term lease which took at lot of hard work from a few of our stalwarts. The council were very supportive too (especially when they changed the name to Elmbridge!)

i always thought it would be a great place to have a base for RL in London

(the facts may have changed in the last 10 years!)

Elmridge is certainly a great club and I do like their clubhouse, grounds and members

At Bulldogs we also have an RL only clubhouse and pitches ( 2 in 2013 with space for many more if demand fits)

Slowly but surely more are not piggybacking Union clubs, yes its much more work but very much worth it

#9 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:46 AM

Looking forward to the day! Mind you, I would've been happier not knowing that we were facing HHH Firsts! I assumed it would be their A team.

SOUTH LONDON STORM - 1997-2014

#10 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:34 PM

On this subject, you have to consider the amount of money the RFL have put into trying to develop the game without thinking "I know, a centre of excellence..."  I recall some debt expert saying if you've spent lots of money and have nothing to show for it, you've wasted it.  All the projects they supported have been co-opted by the partner they thought they could rely on.

#11 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:03 PM

Pitty you don't like to travel and actually play any games bulldog_paddy - you might get good use out of that clubhouse then.

Edited by London Drifter, 19 July 2013 - 11:05 PM.

#12 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

Saying Elmbridge is in London is saying Broncos could move to Gillingham and still be called London!

#13 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 11:05 PM

Number 16 -HHH named their team this afternoon, looks tough!!

#14 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

HHH 54-0 Beckenham

Chargers 46-12 Staines

Yeah, a tough day for the Bears! Hammersmith were always going to win it, but I don't think we disgraced ourselves against a team two divisions above us. 0-14 at HT, but we fell away a bit in the second half. 

I've enjoyed my brief stint at Beckenham, they're a good bunch of blokes and will improve next year. 

Speaking of next year... South London (Sto...?) will be back. We wanted it to happen this year, but this summer has seen the first stage of the £1m redevelopment of Streatham-Croydon RFC - our home of old, including new stand, showers, sheds, car park, perimeter fencing, floodlights and terracing. Next stage is a complete refurb of the clubhouse.  

#15 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

Wow ... interesting? Do you think there is enough interest for another rugby league team in that area?

What league are you thinking of joining?

#16 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:05 PM

Speaking of next year... South London (Sto...?) will be back. We wanted it to happen this year, but this summer has seen the first stage of the £1m redevelopment of Streatham-Croydon RFC - our home of old, including new stand, showers, sheds, car park, perimeter fencing, floodlights and terracing. Next stage is a complete refurb of the clubhouse.

That's great news Graeme. Such a shame to see the Storm name die

#17 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,374 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:13 PM

this summer has seen the first stage of the £1m redevelopment of Streatham-Croydon RFC - our home of old, including new stand, showers, sheds, car park, perimeter fencing, floodlights and terracing. Next stage is a complete refurb of the clubhouse.  

£999,999 of that refurb was spent on scraping up pigeon poo.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#18 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 224 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:43 AM

Thanks for your efforts this year, Graeme.  We'll always have that moment where you stiff-armed that Newham player flat on his ###### and the period later in the game where a player was determined to injure you as a result.

As for the question as to whether the area can support more teams, there are certainly players out there or, more specifically, guys who want to play RL.  We had nearly 60 turn out for us this season, almost all of them are local guys. 

#19 Number 16

Number 16
  • Coach
  • 6,323 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 12:05 PM

I don't see why the general area can't support two clubs. Beckenham is a strong rugby playing area with plenty of potential to draw players from Bromley and South East London (Kent). 

Rugby League's former strength in Croydon speaks for itself - and the area can again support a strong (and successful!) club. There's still a significant junior/youth/Academy base in the Borough. These kids need an OA club to move on to because without one most will be lost to RL as the majority will not go to Clapham and Chiswick (Chargers) or even the Bears. They want local.

Additionally, I know of several ex-Storm players who are still playing and who have expressed an interest in re-joining SL. (None are Bears!).

Entry League will probably be the way to go, though I personally would prefer Regional.

Not sure if we can formally bring back the name South London Storm as the Chargers, I guess, lay claim on that nickname as part of their history. Hopefully, given that they are pretty much a west London club, they'd be prepared to allow us to use the name. If not, officially we'll be called South London RL (vanilla!!), with an unofficial nickname of... well, I'll let you guess! 

There'll be a South London re-launch meeting in September. So until then... watch this space.

bbfaz - I honest don't recall stiff-arming anyone, though I do recall someone's elbow trying to take my head off...

#20 London Drifter

London Drifter
  • Coach
  • 107 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

Number 16 if my memory serves me correctly didn't storm used to be called South London Saints? Might be a good time to bring back the name? Or even South London Hurricanes to link into the juniors?

With all these London clubs popping up maybe it's time for a regional London comp (under the premier one). Bears, Newham, Stains, Chargers A, Hammersmith A, B&D, Weald A, new South London, even Southend? Would be a nice competition with regular fixtures.

I wish you all the best with the new club, although I can see it being tough to get the juniors onboard - in my experience it was always hard getting them (players) to cross from youth to open age.

I guess time will tell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users